No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #10 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article in the paper today on Yarran about how the weight of expectations weighed him down.

When you have media buffoons who are spoon fed from inside sources proclaiming him to be an All-Australian candidate in 2017 if he naturally progresses as scheduled it's little wonder he fell apart. As much as he was damaged goods when he left us Richmond were well aware of that fact and yet they continued to heap the expectations upon him. They really have nobody to blame but themselves.

I hope Chris can put it together and play good footy in the WAFL.

Interesting article in the paper today on Yarran about how the weight of expectations weighed him down.

When you have media buffoons who are spoon fed from inside sources proclaiming him to be an All-Australian candidate in 2017 if he naturally progresses as scheduled it's little wonder he fell apart. As much as he was damaged goods when he left us Richmond were well aware of that fact and yet they continued to heap the expectations upon him. They really have nobody to blame but themselves.

It wasn't even just that, there were signs he had been struggling as early as his teens (Too scared to answer simple questions, hold a conversation etc). Clearly his issues are legitimate and the constant inability I guess to find a personal network that is stable has really been a telling blow to him.

GWS Salary Cap Exercise
(Guess the player payments for the year in thousands)

Shiel 700
Ward 700
Cameron 700
H Shaw 700
Griffen 700
Scully 600
Davis 560
Greene 520
Coniglio 520
Smith 460

$6.16 million for top ten

Mumford 450
Kelly 400
Patton 400
Haynes 340
Johnson 300
Deledio 300
Whitfield 280

$2.47 million for next 7 senior players

Tomlinson 210
Lobb 210
Z Williams 200
de Boer 200
A Kennedy 160
N Wilson 160

$1.14 million for middle tier playing group

A Corr 140
M Buntine 130
Hopper 120
D Simpson 120
Mohr 120
M Kennedy 110
S Reid 100
Himmelberg 100

$0.94 million for players still establishing their career or senior depth players.

Finlayson 90
Flynn 90
The remaining new draftees and rookies will guess cost around 700 thousand

$0.88 million for remainder of youngsters on list

Most of this pure guess work is based on assuming players drafted into the AFL system probably close to 100 thousand paid per year in first 2 years contracted if a first rounder like Hopper but after 2 years the clubs need to up their contracts.
I personally believe this is why all of GWS 2014 draftees were traded. They would need to upgrade contracts to keep them in future and knowing the salary cap for their club needed to fall into line very soon they were realizing keeping all their talent was just not possible. Better off trading for what you can and get new draftees for future and re-generate talent at less cost to cap.

Even after letting go Marchbank, Pickett, Steele, Ahern, McKenna, McCarthy, Hoskin-Elliott and Palmer in trade period my guess is they will still find it hard to retain some of their best young players in next couple of years. When Hopper gets a big pay rise someone else will have to go.

Back in May the writing was on wall.
Giants must work to avoid salary cap squeeze in 2017
Dinny Navaratnam May 20, 2016 2:11 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-20/giants-must-work-to-avoid-salary-cap-squeeze-in-2017

Last month more news to make it clear they need to be paying very close attention to how they keep as much as their talent as they could.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...st-squeeze-at-gws-giants-20161006-grwmi8.html

I've just read the news that one of my childhood heroes Billy Barrot has passed away at the age of 72. I loved Robbo as a kid but Bustling Billy was a close second. My family expressed concern on many occasions that I might turn Richmond because of my obsession for the Tiger in the number 24. It was never a possibility. I had a deep seated loathing for the yellow and black that still exists today. However Billy was one of those mesmerising players. The swagger. The perfect hair. A booming drop kick that helped make the game great. He was a match winner as well. Richmond would never have won the 69 premiership without Barrot. I remember a game at Princes Park (and I think it was 69 where he went and played forward, kicked a bag of goals and Richmond won as a result). So he was a big game player which I admired greatly. I was pretty excited when he played 12 games for Carlton in 1971. Robbo and Billy in the one team! So thanks for the memories Bill and rest in peace.

Or your own bath water like * do, along with other unknown substances.

In hindsight, the bath water is the least of their worries.

Can someone explain how this happened:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-30/hardatit-vfl-defender-joins-dons-as-category-b-rookie

He wasn't on the Next Gen list for Essendon, or the AFL's shortlist as of September, and by the looks of it, he doesn't even seem eligible?

If all it takes is your mum being born in India, this rule is a bit stuffed.

Well all clubs had the opportunity to add him in either of the drafts. The rule is open to any club, WC picked up Francis Watson, looks very skillful

I think we all hope Yarran finds a way to beat these mental demons and get on with his life. From someone who has battled anxiety for the majority of my own life, there are many ups and downs but if he can speak to right people and get good support from family and friends hopefully he can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Well all clubs had the opportunity to add him in either of the drafts. The rule is open to any club, WC picked up Francis Watson, looks very skillful
Yes but he was on the nomination list I'm describing, as an AFL nomination (available to all clubs). I'm actually pretty pissed we didn't look at him, but I suppose it was going to be a stretch to get him to come over from WA (Bayok also).

What I'm asking is, when was McNiece added to this, because he wasn't on the copy of the list that was circulated in September, and he is about as flimsy a nomination for it as you'll find. I don't think he's culturally disadvantaged in any way that hampered his ability to move into a football/TAC pathway, just has a mum who was born overseas.

That's not why this was set up.

On the plus side we signed Allsop, another kid on that list, to the Northern Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As you know mate, rules are there to be manipulated
They shouldn't have been that loose to begin with. Think of what can happen if clubs can get hold kids like McNiece before they enter the TAC system.

Completely disregarding that it twists the scouting down a racial profiling path, the guy doesn't even read like he's disadvantaged in terms of football opportunities, let alone financially. It is truly ******* ****ed that he gets to take a spot.

Thus Sheehan's fourth rookie year.
Technically, we could have sent Sheehan back to Ireland, had him register with a GAA club, then brought him straight back as a Cat B rookie, so it's not quite the same thing.

Last edited:
They shouldn't have been that loose to begin with. Think of what can happen if clubs can get hold kids like McNiece before they enter the TAC system.

Completely disregarding that it twists the scouting down a racial profiling path, the guy doesn't even read like he's disadvantaged in terms of football opportunities, let alone financially. It is truly ******* stuffed that he gets to take a spot.

Can't disagree

Daniel Wells injured at training.

Sad, but unsurprising news.

Streets above WAFL. Give him the Sandover now.

Yazz was watching the Sydney v Adelaide final with his manager and he stated that he could still run rings around these guys. It was then that it seemed the penny dropped and he started to lose weight and apply himself. Not sure what went wrong after that. Maybe it was his ex getting married that tore him apart and derailed him again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yazz was watching the Sydney v Adelaide final with his manager and he stated that he could still run rings around these guys. It was then that it seemed the penny dropped and he started to lose weight and apply himself. Not sure what went wrong after that. Maybe it was his ex getting married that tore him apart and derailed him again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reckon you are on to something. The break up dragged him down and then she gets married 3-4 weeks ago and we are where we are.

GWS Salary Cap Exercise
(Guess the player payments for the year in thousands)

Shiel 700
Ward 700
Cameron 700
H Shaw 700
Griffen 700
Scully 600
Davis 560
Greene 520
Coniglio 520
Smith 460

$6.16 million for top ten

Mumford 450
Kelly 400
Patton 400
Haynes 340
Johnson 300
Deledio 300
Whitfield 280

$2.47 million for next 7 senior players

Tomlinson 210
Lobb 210
Z Williams 200
de Boer 200
A Kennedy 160
N Wilson 160

$1.14 million for middle tier playing group

A Corr 140
M Buntine 130
Hopper 120
D Simpson 120
Mohr 120
M Kennedy 110
S Reid 100
Himmelberg 100

$0.94 million for players still establishing their career or senior depth players.

Finlayson 90
Flynn 90
The remaining new draftees and rookies will guess cost around 700 thousand

$0.88 million for remainder of youngsters on list

Most of this pure guess work is based on assuming players drafted into the AFL system probably close to 100 thousand paid per year in first 2 years contracted if a first rounder like Hopper but after 2 years the clubs need to up their contracts.
I personally believe this is why all of GWS 2014 draftees were traded. They would need to upgrade contracts to keep them in future and knowing the salary cap for their club needed to fall into line very soon they were realizing keeping all their talent was just not possible. Better off trading for what you can and get new draftees for future and re-generate talent at less cost to cap.

Even after letting go Marchbank, Pickett, Steele, Ahern, McKenna, McCarthy, Hoskin-Elliott and Palmer in trade period my guess is they will still find it hard to retain some of their best young players in next couple of years. When Hopper gets a big pay rise someone else will have to go.

Back in May the writing was on wall.
Giants must work to avoid salary cap squeeze in 2017
Dinny Navaratnam May 20, 2016 2:11 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-20/giants-must-work-to-avoid-salary-cap-squeeze-in-2017

Last month more news to make it clear they need to be paying very close attention to how they keep as much as their talent as they could.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...st-squeeze-at-gws-giants-20161006-grwmi8.html
Wouldn't mind snaffling Flynn as a developing ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back