No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #10 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW WOW WOW, Harvey deserves a better end than that!!!!, the rest I think are fair decisions, just Waite to go

Now, how do destroy the morale in a team and the slim chances a club had in the up and coming finals series. I know, let's sack Harvey, Delsanto, Firitto and Petrie two weeks before the finals. I can the see the team meetings being a great place. Harvey will finish in their top 10 if not 5. I can see a Dogs or even a Port Adelaide picking him up. As much as it sickens me to say this, Craig Hutchinson was right about Scott. He is clueless as a coach.

You were going so well till that comment too.

North on the front foot. GWS with their youthfull quick side will make them look second rate this week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You were going so well till that comment too.
You don't believe someone will pick him up assuming he has the will to play on? Play one year or more as form dictates and then an assistant role.Considering our list I would be playing Boomer ahead of at least three players who have played games this year, and are on good money.

I think the Boomer decision was mutual. Maybe the timing is a bit off though.

If he was only hanging around to break the games record in the pursuit of a premiership dream, maybe he's content to bow out with some petrol in the tank - rather than slog through yet another pre-season at a club undergoing "full rebuild" and aiming for 12th next year.

Thats what's surprised me the most, J Waite survives for now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Waite was dominating in the first 10 rounds. Injury once again has ruined his season. Must admit I thought Waite would be cut only because his body is just not up to it. Miles ahead of Petrie in ability.

I have no issue with the actual decision, but the timing of the announcement could of been way better.

It's odd, isn't it?

Maybe the pressure valve had to be released, but I can't see where a team saying; "We'll assess all contracts at the end oh the year, and end of year only" wouldn't have held any weight.

Does seem odd but there must be a good reason for it.

Same as Johnson, Kelly and Stokes last year. They weren't going to retire voluntarily so North made the decision and are giving the supporters 2 games at least to say goodbye.

It's odd, isn't it?

Maybe the pressure valve had to be released, but I can't see where a team saying; "We'll assess all contracts at the end oh the year, and end of year only" wouldn't have held any weight.

Does seem odd but there must be a good reason for it.

Players and their managers probably wanted to know ...

Scott told em ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as Johnson, Kelly and Stokes last year. They weren't going to retire voluntarily so North made the decision and are giving the supporters 2 games at least to say goodbye.

Not the same because North still have finals in front of them.

It may impact one way or another on the players but maybe they knew already. Timing unusual whichever way.

Not the same because North still have finals in front of them.

It may impact one way or another on the players but maybe they knew already. Timing unusual whichever way.

Reckon they knew but they want to stay on so the players aren't going to announce something they disagree with. The club are announcing it so the players get an appropriate send off.

Yes they have finals but could be out week 1 which means just two games remaining. No point waiting waiting until the season is over because they won't get chaired off the ground.

They will be eliminated in the 1st week of the finals Azul.

#Pretenders
Probably. I don't mind it. They could have kept it in-house, but these things tend to find a way out.
I reckon they are trying to salvage something out of an almost lost season. These 4 blokes are on their way out. Are you going to let them go out with a bang, or a whimper?
Does Harvey deserve more? Maybe, but how long do you let a player decide their own future? What if the club wants to move on, but he doesn't? Could he go around again? Probably, but what's wrong with going out while there's still something in the tank? Do you keep pushing and pushing until you become a shadow of the player you used to be and have people saying that you went on for one too many seasons?
At some point the club has to do what's best for them and if that means a tap on the shoulder, so be it.
I think most of us agree that they are pretty much making up the numbers and weren't a real threat even when they were unbeaten on top of the ladder, but this is probably their last real chance in the current form.
Either this will spur them on to send the old guard out with a bang, or they'll just go out as most expected.

Right call by North, you have to remember Hawthorn pretty much forced Tuck to retire, sometimes clubs have to be brave enough to make these calls.

We probably should have done the same of several of our greats, like Harry, at the end of 1996.

I have no problem with North calling time on Petrie, Dal Santo and Firrito, all showed a distinct decline this season and it
is reasonable to expect that decline to continue. They have young KPP being kept out by Firrito, Petrie and Waite?? and
would be in jeopardy of losing them. Boomer has played as an outside mid/small forward, who does he keep out Nahas? or
Turner who struggles to get on the park? The likes of Clarke and Dumont play different roles.

Harvey is a legend of the game and still contributing significantly, could easily play on as a dedicated small forward, which would
free up time up the field next year.

See people banging on about social issues here regularly. Ageism gets very little respect. The young 'uns are quick to throw off
at old timers and give scant respect. Harvey is renown as loving training and enthusiastically attending all sessions, setting an
example for the kids, while many ageing players are given a leave pass to virtually pick and choose their sessions. His body is
sound, his enthusiasm remains, he has set a record which will be almost impossible to attain, and is well and truly capable of
adding another 40 plus games to it. Harvey's story is as close as you get to a fairytale in this dog eat dog era.

The workforce writes off experienced and skilled workers from (often)forty and definitely fifty when they have so much to give
and are more often more capable than the younger alternatives.

The decision is a disgrace. The other boys were/are cooked in their early thirties, Boomer is not. Decision clearly made to appease
those who were done, and to placate a less than savvy board.

Check the Norf board's game day thread. Retirement of those guys has been demanded since their losing streak began. Retirement and public stoning after the worst of their losses. This is fan driven if you ask me.

Wow. Just wow. They're not called lol Norf for nothing.
Cannot believe you would treat these 4 players like that.
Surely there would have been a better way of announcing this than the way they have done it.

Guess Brad Scott putting all his eggs in one basket has been a miserable failure.

None of them would have retired voluntarily.
Must have been brutally difficult cutting a player like Firrito. Look at his list of achievements over 13 seasons:

• Rising Star nomination

Wow. Just wow. They're not called lol Norf for nothing.
Cannot believe you would treat these 4 players like that.
Surely there would have been a better way of announcing this than the way they have done it.

Guess Brad Scott putting all his eggs in one basket has been a miserable failure.
Before a cut-throat final - insanity.

Firrito and Petrie I think had become common knowledge this was their last year I would go even so far as to say they nearly chopped Firrito last year.

As much as people don't like him, Harvey was still playing good football and was not even close to being an in field detriment to the team.

North have handled this badly because they didn't even give the guys a chance to leave with some dignity and make their own announcement and right on the cusp of finals? They won't even make a wimper now and they really don't deserve it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back