General AFL thread 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
JOM will start running on ground after Christmas. Yep... that's progress after 2 years of injury.

Do we have a 'Hawk watch 2017' thread going?

http://www.afl.com.au/trade/trade-talk

Scroll halfway down and Graham Wright is quoted as saying they expected him to be 'underway' for the start of pre-season on November 21 -

upload_2016-12-1_9-22-12.png

Now he won't be running until after Christmas...

Sort of. Cats need to trade for a first rounder, but there worst case is they trade a future (2018) first for a current (2017) first and meet the requirement that way. They could do the same the next year - trade a 2019 for a 2018 pick - and voila, they have had 2 first rounders in 4 years. They will be struggling big time with no flexibility for the next 3 years however and it's the equivalent of juggling credit card payments between two cards ...
Say we finish 6th, and Hawks finish bottom 6 (pretty reasonable assumptions behind that). Say then we trade our first to a desperate Cats for their 2018 first... And they continue to go down the gurgler in 2018 and finish bottom 6.

That would give us 2 bottom-6 picks in years we played finals.

That is Giants like.

To compete with the Giants in the finals, we have to compete with them at the draft. Especially long term.

Say we finish 6th, and Hawks finish bottom 6 (pretty reasonable assumptions behind that). Say then we trade our first to a desperate Cats for their 2018 first... And they continue to go down the gurgler in 2018 and finish bottom 6.

That would give us 2 bottom-6 picks in years we played finals.

That is Giants like.

To compete with the Giants in the finals, we have to compete with them at the draft. Especially long term.

Can i smell a 2017 trade thread coming on?? :D.... pls.

Interesting listening to the SEN take on us by pure footy. Seems we're still not really on the radar of these guys. For one thing, they incorrectly said Jack Steven was all australian. Then when asked who's list they'd rather have, us vs dees, Kingy says Dees because we're still too reliant on older players.

This reliant on older players thing is kind of weird. I mean, should the Dogs have been dropping Boyd and Morris this year, not wanting to be reliant on them? In fact, it's dead set ridiculous to criticise a team for having older leaders. If anything I'd say that's a downside of the Demons going forward that they don't have much experience. Furthermore, this idea that the Demons are chock full of midfield talent - I still see a lot of those guys as speculative guns.

Anyway, very happy to still be under the radar going forward.

Interesting listening to the SEN take on us by pure footy. Seems we're still not really on the radar of these guys. For one thing, they incorrectly said Jack Steven was all australian. Then when asked who's list they'd rather have, us vs dees, Kingy says Dees because we're still too reliant on older players.

This reliant on older players thing is kind of weird. I mean, should the Dogs have been dropping Boyd and Morris this year, not wanting to be reliant on them? In fact, it's dead set ridiculous to criticise a team for having older leaders. If anything I'd say that's a downside of the Demons going forward that they don't have much experience. Furthermore, this idea that the Demons are chock full of midfield talent - I still see a lot of those guys as speculative guns.

You have to remember this is "the Saints won't win a game" David King you're quoting. He obviously hasn't smartened up at all after being forced to eat humble pie by Brucey ( I think) on AFL 360.

He and Dermie, the two most knowledgeable commentators about team lists.... said no one, ever!

Is it true Wells has injured himself ?

The reliant on old players thing will stick around even after Roo Joey and Dempster retire. Its a thoughtless comment that completely ignores how other teams structure their lists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its perspective Melbourne have heaps of high draft picks so people get excited they will become elite mean while we have to settle for guys like Membrey:D

You have to remember this is "the Saints won't win a game" David King you're quoting. He obviously hasn't smartened up at all after being forced to eat humble pie by Brucey ( I think) on AFL 360.

He and Dermie, the two most knowledgeable commentators about team lists.... said no one, ever!

It was actually after he'd blown his load about how good we had been and was very positive about our future. The comparison came and they all said the concern with our list compared to Melbourne was that we still had a lot of reliance on our older players. It's pretty fair that other clubs can't see what we are building because a lot of what we see is projecting based on what we have seen of the kids. I'm very happy to fly under the radar and prefer to catch people napping.

Its perspective Melbourne have heaps of high draft picks so people get excited they will become elite mean while we have to settle for guys like Membrey:D

Its true, after just about a decade Jack Watts has fired up and he's now elite. He kicked 38 goals in 22 games. ( breaking his previous record of 22).

Thats better when you do the maths than 44 in 17 innut?

Amazing when you have to stave off free agency the first year he plays half OK.

The reliant on old players thing will stick around even after Roo Joey and Dempster retire. Its a thoughtless comment that completely ignores how other teams structure their lists.

It's kind of fair with us though, we have probably four players that are first class across the comp in Rooey, Steven, Joey and perhaps Armo then a lot of good players in that next tier down then very high potential kids who aren't there yet. I think we are a very even squad which is a strength these days.

It was actually after he'd blown his load about how good we had been and was very positive about our future....
I'm very happy to fly under the radar and prefer to catch people napping.

+100

It just irritates me when so-called experts who have no in depth ideas about the lists comment and make snap judgements. They should just stick to talking about the game AFAIC.

Is it true Wells has injured himself ?
Well he hurt his pride by moving to Collingwood...

... What am I saying? That's completely untrue...

... As if he still had any pride...

To be honest their list is pretty promising.

Their newbies, Oliver and Petracca have played enough footy to show that they will probably win more contested ball than most of our guys.
Viney is a beast. Nathan Jones probably wins as much as Armitage on a good year. Add Tyson and their inside is pretty formidable.

Vandenberg should be back from injury.
Brashaw and Stretch improving.

Gawn is good.
Hogan is a massive talent. Part of the reason Watts can go ok, not being the main focus of defence.

No massive holes in their list , and some reasonable depth, as well as some young players who shouldn't be written off just yet.

To be honest i find that midfield a bit daunting.

To be honest their list is pretty promising.

Their newbies, Oliver and Petracca have played enough footy to show that they will probably win more contested ball than most of our guys.
Viney is a beast. Nathan Jones probably wins as much as Armitage on a good year. Add Tyson and their inside is pretty formidable.

Vandenberg should be back from injury.
Brashaw and Stretch improving.

Gawn is good.
Hogan is a massive talent. Part of the reason Watts can go ok, not being the main focus of defence.

No massive holes in their list , and some reasonable depth, as well as some young players who shouldn't be written off just yet.

To be honest i find that midfield a bit daunting.
I'm with you. With some senior experience added for next year and young guns injury free watch out for the Dees. Comparing the teams directly, we've mostly beaten them with big games from our senior players in recent times. Their mid depth and potential has us covered easily atm imo. Hopefully Hogan gets the yip hop hip yops again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back