General AFL thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having looked at the article I wouldn't read too much into the title.

It's pretty clear there's a bit of a bug on that website.

For example, I note some of the quotes from the players:

"Brad Scott is a hunt of a bloke"

"Wayne Carey was a champion but in reality he was a hunt"

"When you look at our current player list, North is really a hunt of a place to be right now"

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda

"When you look at our current player list, North is really a hunt of a place to be right now"
That makes more sense now Doc :rolleyes:

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wowee. North actually think they're in the hunt for 2017 :eek:

So they should too. I reckon they're absolutely right in the mix.

Wait, they're talking about the wooden spoon, right?

Plumber66

Club Legend
May 31, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Did Harmichael write the article?

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
When your club is s**t, and you know it's s**t, the worst question you can get is "will you guys make finals" . You can't simply say, "we are rubbish so there's no point tryiing"
When your club is grouse, and you know it's s**t-hot, the best question you can get is "will you guys make finals?"

You can simply say "_ken oath!"

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
None of our inside mids win the ball like theirs. Look at contested possession stats for starters.
We have no-one close to Viney for starters.

Yet they are as mentally soft as any club in the league.

You'd think that Lewis might help that but their lack of ticker is what has held them back for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fyfe2Shenton

Senior List
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yet they are as mentally soft as any club in the league.

You'd think that Lewis might help that but their lack of ticker is what has held them back for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree. With players like Viney and Oliver in the guts, I think this Melbourne side has plenty of ticker. They just lacked consistency this year.

Aug 25, 2008
Aisle 38
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
LFC, #DubNation, Storm
I disagree. With players like Viney and Oliver in the guts, I think this Melbourne side has plenty of ticker. They just lacked consistency this year.

You need more than 1 or 2 in the middle though.

The last couple of years, we've beaten them around the contest and we've been harder and tougher without the ball, and that's been the difference. The general consensus that Melbourne have a more talented list than us is probably correct, but you get the impression some of the Dees think it's just gonna happen, while us Sainters know what it's gonna take.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Viney is tough but were did he go when the game was to be won against twice last year? Kicked a few goals to get them back within a few kicks & then barely got a touch.

Oliver is promising but unproven.

Yes they're inconsistent but they're inconsistent so often that it's that's their baseline! The good efforts (like beating Hawthorn) are always followed by a shocking, soft effort the following week (v Carlton). Hogan exemplifies this...when his effort is up and about then that goes through the whole team. Lucky for the rest of the competition that he's a massive sook.

As I said, bringing Lewis in will give them much needed leadership & will give Viney a hand as he plays a lone hand way too often but they've got a lot to prove and it's not through a lack of talent.

Viney is tough but were did he go when the game was to be won against twice last year? Kicked a few goals to get them back within a few kicks & then barely got a touch.

Oliver is promising but unproven.

Yes they're inconsistent but they're inconsistent so often that it's that's their baseline! The good efforts (like beating Hawthorn) are always followed by a shocking, soft effort the following week (v Carlton). Hogan exemplifies this...when his effort is up and about then that goes through the whole team. Lucky for the rest of the competition that he's a massive sook.

As I said, bringing Lewis in will give them much needed leadership & will give Viney a hand as he plays a lone hand way too often but they've got a lot to prove and it's not through a lack of talent.

I reckon we probably sat someone on him to limit him, lewis will benefit him enormously as he takes the prime mover status from him. Jones, a fit Brayshaw, Petracca with more midfield time, Oliver, Vince, Dom Tyson and Ben Kennedy all able to play on ball makes them pretty deep too.

Fyfe2Shenton

Senior List
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
You need more than 1 or 2 in the middle though.

The last couple of years, we've beaten them around the contest and we've been harder and tougher without the ball, and that's been the difference. The general consensus that Melbourne have a more talented list than us is probably correct, but you get the impression some of the Dees think it's just gonna happen, while us Sainters know what it's gonna take.
Quite simply, I think Richo just outcoached Roos on both occasions. Roos is a good motivator, but Richo's high-pressure gameplan allowed us to step up when it counted. I am interested to see how Goodwin changes the dynamics of the encounter next year.

crasha301

worm farmer
Sep 21, 2014
The Farm
AFL Club
St Kilda
Quite simply, I think Richo just outcoached Roos on both occasions. Roos is a good motivator, but Richo's high-pressure gameplan allowed us to step up when it counted. I am interested to see how Goodwin changes the dynamics of the encounter next year.

Don't forget the muppet that didn't follow joey to the goal square.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back