Discussion General AFL Thread 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to start asking even more serious questions about the Weagles(aside from their allergy to flying)

They kick 1.9 after half time against the Dogs at home a few weeks back and hang on...

Then flogged by the Bombers.

Now losing to GWS at home.

Mate....he aint going to the Saints. Like I said. If he's going anywhere its to North otherwise he will stay at GWS and come to North in a couple of years.
Um so he will wait for a better offer than 9mill ? He aint gonna get a better deal than that ever again you peanut.

Um so he will wait for a better offer than 9mill ? He aint gonna get a better deal than that ever again you peanut.
Dad played for North. Josh grew up as a hardcore North supporter. Missed out playing for North due to change of rules that year for father son. North have been in his ear since ever and his family have close relationships with the club.

North offer ,so far, is larger than any other and easily more than Stkilda by all reports.

I am not here trolling. But if you think Stkilda would be his preferred option I think you are wishful thinking. As I said he will remain at GWS or go to North. Since he hasnt re-signed yet the longer it goes the more I think he's gone, but I still have a feeling he will stay at GWS for another couple and then come to North, and it will be more than $1m. And to be honest I hope its the latter one as I prefer us hold on to picks and players.

Geelong site currently has a thread on its site called Punchable Faces , lol , very funny . Ballantyne from freo has popped up a lot . Baker from the Saints is there but he probably put it up himself , lol.

Sent via HAL

Dad played for North. Josh grew up as a hardcore North supporter. Missed out playing for North due to change of rules that year for father son. North have been in his ear since ever and his family have close relationships with the club.

North offer ,so far, is larger than any other and easily more than Stkilda by all reports.

I am not here trolling. But if you think Stkilda would be his preferred option I think you are wishful thinking. As I said he will remain at GWS or go to North. Since he hasnt re-signed yet the longer it goes the more I think he's gone, but I still have a feeling he will stay at GWS for another couple and then come to North, and it will be more than $1m. And to be honest I hope its the latter one as I prefer us hold on to picks and players.

Maybe he doesn't want to sign for 9 years , if he has a couple fantastic years , maybe wins the Brownlow then he will want to negotiate a better deal after three or four years . 9 yrs is too long to commit to.

What if he signs for 9 yrs and then doesn't like it , then he's screwed.

As far as I know we haven't offered him anything officially yet so how can it be higher ?
Sent via HAL

Who says we are his preferred option?

We're not the ones shitting bricks about this matter.

I've got to laugh at "Dad played for North and he grew up a North supporter" like it holds any weight whatsoever to his decision. Once a player enters the system I don't think many at all care about playing for the club they grew up supporting. It may appeal to North fans because that's what you all want to hear but it doesn't work that way. Nick Riewoldt grew up a Hawthorn supporter and has now played over 300 games at the one club. Leigh Montagna was a Collingwood supporter and now has played 280 games at the one club. Nathan Buckley? Melbourne. The list goes on.

I think a child would make a decision based on where his dad played and who he supported growing up. An adult would make a decision based on the growth and success of his own career and in that would be things like money and winning. And as for North's list build, you are a long way off. Of the 40 players on your senior list, 9 of them are already, or will be 30 or older within 2 years (Higgins, Hansen, Swallow, Thomas, Thompson, Goldstein, Tarrant, Waite and Gibson). For years you have had the list to get into the eight, good enough for a couple of prelims but still a few legitimate stars off of making Grand Finals, and then the penny finally dropped and the club went into full rebuild mode at the end of last year. You are still a good 4-5 years away from seriously contending.

I think St.Kilda has just as good of a shot as anyone in the league at getting Josh Kelly. As reported, we have enough money put aside to bring in 2 players at $800,000 each, and chances are we won't do something that drastic, so paying Kelly a million or over a season is definitely plausible. If you have watched our games you will see the talent is there, our spine is the envy of many clubs right now (Brown-Carlisle-Bruce-McCartin) and the midfield has gotten stronger primarily with the addition of Jack Steele - who's one of Kelly's best mates ;). We won 12 games last year (the same amount as North - with a much more inexperienced list) and currently sit above you on the ladder midway through this season. What is not to like? We are a bigger club than you, we have much more to look forward to in coming years, and if I'm Kelly I'm looking at our list on paper and seeing a gaping hole in the middle of the ground just ready for a star like him to move into and give us the stud mid we are crying out for. An addition of someone like Kelly coupled with one of the other rumored players we're after in Whitfield Martin and Fyfe would make the move to St.Kilda that much easier.

And sure we are in a bit of a form slump right now but looking at the bigger picture it's easy to see why we are an attractive proposition for players looking to move.

In other words you have no idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By this blokes logic no ex player would ever coach or be an assistant coach of another team. Unfortuantely there´s these things called money and opportunity. Jack Dyer might see your logic and give you a pat on the back though.

I've got to laugh at "Dad played for North and he grew up a North supporter" like it holds any weight whatsoever to his decision. Once a player enters the system I don't think many at all care about playing for the club they grew up supporting. It may appeal to North fans because that's what you all want to hear but it doesn't work that way. Nick Riewoldt grew up a Hawthorn supporter and has now played over 300 games at the one club. Leigh Montagna was a Collingwood supporter and now has played 280 games at the one club. Nathan Buckley? Melbourne. The list goes on.

I think a child would make a decision based on where his dad played and who he supported growing up. An adult would make a decision based on the growth and success of his own career and in that would be things like money and winning. And as for North's list build, you are a long way off. Of the 40 players on your senior list, 9 of them are already, or will be 30 or older within 2 years (Higgins, Hansen, Swallow, Thomas, Thompson, Goldstein, Tarrant, Waite and Gibson). For years you have had the list to get into the eight, good enough for a couple of prelims but still a few legitimate stars off of making Grand Finals, and then the penny finally dropped and the club went into full rebuild mode at the end of last year. You are still a good 4-5 years away from seriously contending.

I think St.Kilda has just as good of a shot as anyone in the league at getting Josh Kelly. As reported, we have enough money put aside to bring in 2 players at $800,000 each, and chances are we won't do something that drastic, so paying Kelly a million or over a season is definitely plausible. If you have watched our games you will see the talent is there, our spine is the envy of many clubs right now (Brown-Carlisle-Bruce-McCartin) and the midfield has gotten stronger primarily with the addition of Jack Steele - who's one of Kelly's best mates ;). We won 12 games last year (the same amount as North - with a much more inexperienced list) and currently sit above you on the ladder midway through this season. What is not to like? We are a bigger club than you, we have much more to look forward to in coming years, and if I'm Kelly I'm looking at our list on paper and seeing a gaping hole in the middle of the ground just ready for a star like him to move into and give us the stud mid we are crying out for. An addition of someone like Kelly coupled with one of the other rumored players we're after in Whitfield Martin and Fyfe would make the move to St.Kilda that much easier.

And sure we are in a bit of a form slump right now but looking at the bigger picture it's easy to see why we are an attractive proposition for players looking to move.
But his dad played for lolnorff......

Norfy supporters are shitting their pants.

I hope he comes to the Saints as he is just the sort we need . Imagine how confident the other mids would be having someone with his class in the same side . I'll even throw in a couple of dollars to get our bid over Norff , lmao. $4 no more though, hahaha.

Sent via HAL

What has happened to Tom Bell ? He's now at Brisbane after starting at Carlton . When he first started at Carlton they were all over him . They said he was going to be a star , the next Couda even the commentators loved him . I watched some of the game the other night , he's slow , not a great kick, doesn't take many marks . He seems very lazy , doesn't chase or put in the hard yards . Spends more time putting his hair into place than playing footy . If he continues to play like he did last weekend he will have a short career . It's like he believes the talk that was about himself when he first started and he's not really trying . He needs a rocket up his arse. I wouldn't be surprised if he got dropped if he keeps playing the same way . What does that say about him if he can't get stay in Brisbanes side at the moment . Does anyone like the campaigner ?

Sent via HAL

Bruce is in the VFL, Paddy was in the VFL two weeks ago. The other two are going well but not sure how you can say "envy of many clubs" with a straight face.
Riewoldt played VFL when he was starting off as well. Players go in and out of form. Bruce has the capabilities to be a 50+ goal kicker and has proven as such. Odd comment.

lol just lol

you know who else was a die hard saints supporter: rory sloane

what happened there?

McGovern was in tears when Freo lost the grand final. His family begged Bond to draft them. Their father played for them. They're as die hard as you can get.

Yet they prefer WCE as a destination for obvious reasons. Their biggest rival club growing up.

Funny that.

Riewoldt played VFL when he was starting off as well. Players go in and out of form. Bruce has the capabilities to be a 50+ goal kicker and has proven as such. Odd comment.

Some players who kick 50+ never go on with it or just weren't that good to start with. In recent years: Tory Dickson, Jay Schulz, Drew Petrie, Travis Cloke, Lindsay Thomas, Jack Darling, Andrew Walker, Jason Porplyzia, John Anthony, Daniel Motlop, Paul Medhurst, Brett Ebert, Quinten Lynch, etc etc etc.

If Bruce turns out to be as good as Cloke or Petrie then he still will have had a good career. But I doubt our spine will be the envy of the league if we've got someone of that calibre at full-forward. The team we play next has Talia - Lever - Jacobs - Lynch - Walker. Surely that's more like the envy of the league (excepting maybe Lynch).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back