Discussion General AFL Thread 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

You are missing the point I was making.

The conversation was about Hawks getting deals done with specific reference to JOM. JOM nominated the Hawks. Laverde did not nominate the Saints. Every player that has nominated the Saints in recent history has got there. As such, saying that we could learn a lesson from the Hawks is pretty inaccurate as we have no trouble getting 'our man'. If we were the Crows then we'd have something to learn.
I think you missed the point plumber made then. I don't think he's complaining about us not landing a player that publicly nominates us

Hes more stating that hawks find a way to get them to their club

Its rare clubs don't land the player that nominates their club. It would happen less than 1% of trades that occur.

For us it happened with Mitch Brown with the current list management team. Albeit a contracted player just like geelong with delidio.

In any case they were your words not mine "we get every player we want". That statement is just flat out false. Whether you want to own it or not

The conversation was about Hawks getting deals done with specific reference to JOM. JOM nominated the Hawks. Laverde did not nominate the Saints. Every player that has nominated the Saints in recent history has got there. As such, saying that we could learn a lesson from the Hawks is pretty inaccurate as we have no trouble getting 'our man'. If we were the Crows then we'd have something to learn.
And my point is that you do whatever it takes to get your player.

Pretty sure we missed out on Sloane.

And my point is that you do whatever it takes to get your player.

Pretty sure we missed out on Sloane.
Every club I think would miss out on players. It's just so hard to get them out of their club.

The idea that we get every player we want is just absurd

Mitch Brown?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you missed the point plumber made then. I don't think he's complaining about us not landing a player that publicly nominates us

Hes more stating that hawks find a way to get them to their club

Its rare clubs don't land the player that nominates their club. It would happen less than 1% of trades that occur.

For us it happened with Mitch Brown with the current list management team. Albeit a contracted player just like geelong with delidio.

In any case they were your words not mine "we get every player we want". That statement is just flat out false. Whether you want to own it or not

I didn't miss plumber's point at all. They get players to nominate them and when they do then they get a trade done. In recent history we've done exactly the same.

Mitch Brown is so long ago that it's pretty much irrelevant. Watters wasn't exactly well known for letting the list managers do their jobs without interference.

"We get every player we want" - a statement I never made. My mistake was using the word 'want' instead of 'that nominated us'. Sorry for assuming that people would be intelligent enough to figure out that I wasn't referring to literally any player we ever had a passing desire in.

You can be so deliberately obtuse sometimes Defacto.

I didn't miss plumber's point at all. They get players to nominate them and when they do then they get a trade done. In recent history we've done exactly the same.

Mitch Brown is so long ago that it's pretty much irrelevant. Watters wasn't exactly well known for letting the list managers do their jobs without interference.

"We get every player we want" - a statement I never made. My mistake was using the word 'want' instead of 'that nominated us'. Sorry for assuming that people would be intelligent enough to figure out that I wasn't referring to literally any player we ever had a passing desire in.

You can be so deliberately obtuse sometimes Defacto.
Did you care to ask plumber what he meant?

I thought it was pretty obvious that plumber was referring to acquiring the players we want. Not acquiring the players we want that nominate our club. Given JOM never nominated our club and that it's rare a club does not secure a player that nominates a club

Last edited:
Did you care to ask plumber what he meant?

I thought it was pretty obvious that plumber was referring to acquiring the players we want. Not acquiring the players we want that nominate our club. Given JOM never nominated our club and that it's rare a club does not secure a player that nominates a club

And how would anyone not inside a club know which players they 'wanted' that they failed to get? Hint: they wouldn't cause it's all bullshit rumors on our end - even stuff in the media. Hence, it's pointless to speculate on and the only relevant facts to discuss are those players that nominate a club.

And how would anyone not inside a club know which players they 'wanted' that they failed to get? Hint: they wouldn't cause it's all bullshit rumors on our end - even stuff in the media. Hence, it's pointless to speculate on and the only relevant facts to discuss are those players that nominate a club.
Yeap everything you don't agree with is fake news and just rumour and innuendo.

I would have thought its common sense that the club would be into a number of players each year that they would seriously want but are unsuccessful in doing so. If thats not happening then we are not doing our job. We should be into kelly, shiel, lever and fyfe. Doesnt mean we are going to get all 4 does it. Ameet basically confirmed this when he said it's extremely hard to get players out of their club.

The club openly makes statements like 'we would love [insert player name] here at our club'

I don't get why you are trying to argue against this and get personal in doing so. Labelling anyone who doesnt agree with you as unintelligent after you try to spin your original statement. Just own your statement and move on. It's not that hard

For what it's worth I think MG and Stav are pretty open about who we are targeting. Because we haven't landed every player they've suggested are you saying they're full of s**t? "Its all bullshit"

ITT Defacto puts words in peoples mouths and comes to conclusions about things they never said while ignoring the things they do say.

Haven't bothered to read the previous posts, but we predicted Jack Steele a long time before it was made public. I'm sure the guys mentioned Nath Brown doing run throughs with Saints physios days before he signed. I remember telling you guys where Gresham and White were on our draft board and how the club felt in selecting them...

The guys here who either work at the club or communicate regularly with the club surprisingly do know bits and pieces that the general public/media take months to find out. They (the club) are surprisingly prety open actually.

Re Laverde, that deal was very close - however Laverde's manager Paul Connors is known for dragging out negotiations to up his clients price and the Bombers had to end up paying overs for him to stay otherwise he would've come to us. That deal went from Saints signing to Bombers re-signing very very quickly.

Haven't bothered to read the previous posts, but we predicted Jack Steele a long time before it was made public. I'm sure the guys mentioned Nath Brown doing run throughs with Saints physios days before he signed. I remember telling you guys where Gresham and White were on our draft board and how the club felt in selecting them...

The guys here who either work at the club or communicate regularly with the club surprisingly do know bits and pieces that the general public/media take months to find out. They (the club) are surprisingly prety open actually.

Re Laverde, that deal was very close - however Laverde's manager Paul Connors is known for dragging out negotiations to up his clients price and the Bombers had to end up paying overs for him to stay otherwise he would've come to us. That deal went from Saints signing to Bombers re-signing very very quickly.
Membrey and Jacksch was another which was pretty much confirmed in emma quayle book. We were talking to their managers a long way out!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Membrey and Jacksch was another which was pretty much confirmed in emma quayle book. We were talking to their managers a long way out!!!!
Some of these discussions begin before players are even drafted. Recruiters aren't doing their job if they only keep in contact with players up until draft night. Like with Freezer how we were very keen on him back in his draft year and kept tabs on his progress while he was at Collingwood. I'd be surprised if we didn't have good relationships with nearly every player that gets drafted.

Some of these discussions begin before players are even drafted. Recruiters aren't doing their job if they only keep in contact with players up until draft night. Like with Freezer how we were very keen on him back in his draft year and kept tabs on his progress while he was at Collingwood. I'd be surprised if we didn't have good relationships with nearly every player that gets drafted.
Couldn't agree more

Jaksch nominated Carlton in the end didnt he?

The only bloke who hinted he'd like to come to us that we failed to get was Mitch Brown back at end of 2012 or 2013(???), but the exception here is that he was still contracted to West Coast for the following year & was also happy to stay if deal couldn't get done.

Jaksch nominated Carlton in the end didnt he?

The only bloke who hinted he'd like to come to us that we failed to get was Mitch Brown back at end of 2012 or 2013(???), but the exception here is that he was still contracted to West Coast for the following year & was also happy to stay if deal couldn't get done.
Yeap when I get home I'll upload some photos from Emma's book where we showed interest in him but didn't get it done (thank god)

Actually is more towards posters on here who over-finesse these matters.

Most said no to JOM and laughed at the Hawks. But yet, so far so good for them.
It was a flippant observation.

Every club I think would miss out on players. It's just so hard to get them out of their club.

The idea that we get every player we want is just absurd

Will Brodie. Spud.

Is anyone else looking over their shoulder at the Steak and chips after forgoing a main for a salad so we can have dessert? All the kids from last year seem to be superstars already. Florent looks pretty flash, I'm a bit like that with Paddy a week after he had a quiet one and Petracca had a starring role though too.

Is anyone else looking over their shoulder at the Steak and chips after forgoing a main for a salad so we can have dessert? All the kids from last year seem to be superstars already. Florent looks pretty flash, I'm a bit like that with Paddy a week after he had a quiet one and Petracca had a starring role though too.

I reckon Florent will be a bit of a Luke McDonald/Josh Kelly hybrid. Has some tenacity and strong defensive mindedness to him but can also tear a sideup on a wing and in the middle. Hopefully he comes to the Saints in 2 years time :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

It was in an era of the draft being pilfered for under agers, it was a poo draft with the Dogs taking Mc Crae and Stringer and Brisbane Mayes other than those they are a pretty average lot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_AFL_draft

The 12 and 13 trade down doesn't look too bad in retrospect. Even if Hickey is the only one of Wright, White and Lee to make it.

If we somehow ended up with Thurlow and Hickey that would have been awesome. But you can't win em all.

Took our trading game to the next level the year after anyway. 2012 was a practise run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back