Discussion General AFL Thread 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, I discovered the NT league on NITV yesterday. A ripper of a game between Tiwi and Districts. It was so free flowing, just a joy to watch, and the skill level was high too. Anyone else watching those games?

Yep, I live in Darwin and am at the footy every weekend. Gets me through the AFL off-season. It's the second week of finals this week.

Hey, I discovered the NT league on NITV yesterday. A ripper of a game between Tiwi and Districts. It was so free flowing, just a joy to watch, and the skill level was high too. Anyone else watching those games?
Yeah mate been watching it for a few yrs .
Bloody fun footy to watch. Darren Ewing is a gun fwd i love watching.
Milney even had a run up there for a while.

Why do I get dragged into people's squabbles?? It's easy to hang someone for the ones who don't come off, but remember to be balanced as there are others we get spot on.

For instance I get my info on delay. I might hear last week's big internal news today but won't post it until I'm comfortable with the info I've heard. You might see me say something in another week or 2 and by then it might of changed.

My priority isn't to run to big footy and say everything. It's to be calculated with how I say or present info

Why do I get dragged into people's squabbles?? It's easy to hang someone for the ones who don't come off, but remember to be balanced as there are others we get spot on.

For instance I get my info on delay. I might hear last week's big internal news today but won't post it until I'm comfortable with the info I've heard. You might see me say something in another week or 2 and by then it might of changed.

My priority isn't to run to big footy and say everything. It's to be calculated with how I say or present info
I imagine you also only hear our clubs perspective and not the other side of the fence

I imagine you also only hear our clubs perspective and not the other side of the fence
There are times where I get perspective of other clubs as I have made industry mates. Generally I only care about the opinion of our players in the eyes of the opposition. Unless something huge drops.

For instance I did try guide everyone on Nathan Brown. I said when I qouted plugger I had heard we where keen on Nathan brown when he said Mitch. I heard that news from a pie employee.

Yeah mate been watching it for a few yrs .
Bloody fun footy to watch. Darren Ewing is a gun fwd i love watching.
Milney even had a run up there for a while.

When I played in Cairns many years ago, a lot of Darwin boys would come and play our normal season, before going back for the Darwin season, pretty much playing and training all year round. A few Cairns boys would also go to play in Darwin in the off season.
Cairns was a really strong side back then, they played and beat an Alex Jesalenko coached Sandgate side I think it was from the Brisbane comp, in some sort of state league thing that was happening at the time, bringing much merriment to the Cairns crowd. I'm pretty sure I even went up to Jezza and gave him a bit of a cheeky remark, and he didn't smile, just gave me the steely glare. He managed to refrain from telling me to f*** off but.

When I played in Cairns many years ago, a lot of Darwin boys would come and play our normal season, before going back for the Darwin season, pretty much playing and training all year round. A few Cairns boys would also go to play in Darwin in the off season.
Cairns was a really strong side back then, they played and beat an Alex Jesalenko coached Sandgate side I think it was from the Brisbane comp, in some sort of state league thing that was happening at the time, bringing much merriment to the Cairns crowd. I'm pretty sure I even went up to Jezza and gave him a bit of a cheeky remark, and he didn't smile, just gave me the steely glare. He managed to refrain from telling me to f*** off but.

I enjoy watching the NT teams play.
Its a bit like schoolyard footy at times. Sometimes it lacks structure but you get lots of flying for marks ,running snaps for goals and some freakish skills.
Also get a few boys who dont look like they hit the training track too hard .:D
Theres a real mix of blokes as skinny as rakes and others with a decent veranda over the old tool shed.
X.Clarke seemed to do a good job at St.Marys and theres more Rioli's than you can poke a stick at.

Its a bit like schoolyard footy at times. Sometimes it lacks structure but you get lots of flying for marks ,running snaps for goals and some freakish skills.
Theres a real mix of blokes as skinny as rakes and others with a decent veranda over the old tool shed.
X.Clarke seemed to do a good job at St.Marys and theres more Rioli's than you can poke a stick at.

I'll have to catch it.

There's nothing better than watching sport being played purely for the joy of it and not bound too much by structures and game plans.

I'll have to catch it.

There's nothing better than watching sport being played purely for the joy of it and not bound too much by structures and game plans.
Yeah before the AFL got tied up in zones and floods.
Any young peeps on here go watch our 91 final Vs Cats or 92 final Vs Pies.
The early 90s footy was bloody tuff and free flowing.
Great era IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great era IMO.
Couldn't agree more, but playing on an oval the size of small ocean in Waverley certainly helped with a lack of congestion and stoppages.

Its a pity fox footy don't telecast the match of the round at least, their dedication to any football that isn't the afl is pretty well non existant, surely there is interest out there in country footy, under age, secondary leagues, such as vfl, sanfl etc enough to warrant a fox football 2???

I'll have to catch it.

i believe its on NITV

Its a pity fox footy don't telecast the match of the round at least, their dedication to any football that isn't the afl is pretty well non existant, surely there is interest out there in country footy, under age, secondary leagues, such as vfl, sanfl etc enough to warrant a fox football 2???
The AFL is far too busy flooding every time slot to try and smother any other sport that people might be interested in watching to actually show any of the lower grades of footy.
Anytime another code try to eek out a niche time slot you can guarantee its only a matter of time that the AFL will flood it.
If the A-League start playing Tues morning games it would only be a matter of time before it would be part of our fixture.
Too much time spent on crushing the opposition rather than exposing a bit of the grass roots footy levels.

The AFL is far too busy flooding every time slot to try and smother any other sport that people might be interested in watching to actually show any of the lower grades of footy.
Anytime another code try to eek out a niche time slot you can guarantee its only a matter of time that the AFL will flood it.
If the A-League start playing Tues morning games it would only be a matter of time before it would be part of our fixture.
Too much time spent on crushing the opposition rather than exposing a bit of the grass roots footy levels.

AFL even busier get another Plant in place of another club in need of competent Ceo

Great era IMO.
Yes Snake....I was at both games.........remember AFL Park was going crazy when Plugger was kicking all those goals......and the hail there just before the start of the Pies game....it was amazing !

Back on O'Meara. He hasn't actually played an AFL game yet. I wish the bloke no harm. He's a very good player and it would be good for the game to see him firing. But it will be interesting if his knee gets driven into the turf at some point. And by the sound of it, Hawthorn have had him lined up for ages. Don't think we were ever in the picture.

Back on O'Meara. He hasn't actually played an AFL game yet. I wish the bloke no harm. He's a very good player and it would be good for the game to see him firing. But it will be interesting if his knee gets driven into the turf at some point. And by the sound of it, Hawthorn have had him lined up for ages. Don't think we were ever in the picture.

Yes, there seems to have been some ducks and drakes played.
Assuming he wasn't foxing last year.......
But putting that aside, AFL full games will be a test.
I just trust that the Hawks will take a long term approach with him.

Yes, there seems to have been some ducks and drakes played.
Assuming he wasn't foxing last year.......
But putting that aside, AFL full games will be a test.
I just trust that the Hawks will take a long term approach with him.
We were just one of the 'other' interested clubs at one point. Just driving up his price. Because of our salary cap situation we will virtually always be one of these 'other' clubs.

Yep, I live in Darwin and am at the footy every weekend. Gets me through the AFL off-season. It's the second week of finals this week.
I did a stint with Wanderers some years back , I like Darwin , the grounds were good , but not my idea of a fun place to play , "the heat , the heat , the heat." Didn't get to play under lights back then ! How did Wanderers go this year ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back