Discussion General AFL Thread 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

No, he's working in the media.

I've heard the afl have changed their mind about the development squad and will keep it and Roos boys will start there just a tad younger than all the rest of the lads , lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Tigers win also. I thought you said Steve Johnson was going to break their heart last night?
That was before he got going in the second half against the Eagles. I don´t think he can do it two weeks in a row. He´s a sneaky bugger Stevie, loves the big stage. Triple XXX factor. Great player. I´m actually gonna miss watching him as a neutral. The Tigers will have a very detailed plan to stop the Stevie J show as he´s still dangerous as hell.

I have just done the games played and average disposals on all the players on the players board except for players who played less than 5 games as the stats sheet I got did the same .

It's obvious to me that we have way too many players who average between about 15 to 23 disposals. Also most of the good teams has at least one defender who averages up nearer the 30 mark . Ross is our only player close to that , 29.something , but then Steven is next down near 26 mark . To many of our mids are getting low 20s which is why we aren't a consistent team through the middle.

Our chances of getting jelly belly are probably slim but boy do we need him . It's a bit much to expect Ross to improve for the third year in a row , Steven seems to have peaked and at this stage none of our other mids or defenders look likely of averaging 30 disposals a game for the whole year . Some may have the odd game where they get 30 but remember how well Ross played this year and even he fell short .

Last edited:
Hopefully better than Lee. No idea about Ryan but I do know the competition is very average just like the VFL.
actually the WAFL isnt that bad of quallity .. and your assesment of Lee is very average to be honest ... you do realise pretty much all WA drafted players at some stage have played WAFL..

actually the WAFL isnt that bad of quallity .. and your assesment of Lee is very average to be honest ... you do realise pretty much all WA drafted players at some stage have played WAFL..

Tom Lee wasn't one who slipped through the cracks.
He was drafted by Adelaide and never got a game.
THEN went to the WAFL.

Tom Lee wasn't one who slipped through the cracks.
He was drafted by Adelaide and never got a game.
THEN went to the WAFL.
he got drafted to the crows and was not mature enough to take the opportunity put in front of him so he came back and worked his arse off in the WAFL when we got him he was ready to make the most of his shot but his shoulders let him down... he then got over taken by Bruce and lost the spot he was earmarked for , Richo sent him to the backline to try and make something of the carreer but then we landed Jake and Brown so he was delisted .. to add salt into the wound then Dempster retired so had Dempster retired at the end of last season instead of at the start of this season Lee may have kept his spot .... seriously bad luck for him.. hes a top bloke though and he is not one to be bitter about his shot disolving around him

I have just done the games played and average disposals on all the players on the players board except for players who played less than 5 games as the stats sheet I got did the same .

It's obvious to me that we have way too many players who average between about 15 to 23 disposals. Also most of the good teams has at least one defender who averages up nearer the 30 mark . Ross is our only player close to that , 29.something , but then Steven is next down near 26 mark . To many of our mids are getting low 20s which is why we aren't a consistent team through the middle.

Our chances of getting jelly belly are probably slim but boy do we need him . It's a bit much to expect Ross to improve for the third year in a row , Steven seems to have peaked and at this stage none of our other mids or defenders look likely of averaging 30 disposals a game for the whole year . Some may have the odd game where they get 30 but remember how well Ross played this year and even he fell short .

Wow simplicity.

If we won more contested ball and clearances, it would make a difference in average possessions.

Acres Aged 21. AVERAGED 20, but has demonstrated an ability to get 30( 2 xin the last four games). A few games short of the magic 50. Terrible against Suns. Plenty of reasons to think he will be above 23 next season. ( 12 in 2014, 12 in 2015 , 18 in 2016 , 20 in 2017 ).

Armitage
had 22 last year, a season when most people considered him to be crap.

Billings was at the top of your range with 23 , averaging 24 since the bye. Only 22 he'll get more of it.

I'm not a fan of Dunstan ( he hasn't improved enough over the last 67 games ) , but he looked ok at end of season. Average was dragged down by 4 stinkers.

Newnes without his three touch game is on 24.

Ross. Great year for him

Sinclair will improve

Steele. If you think he's going to stay on average 22 disposals you are DREAMING.

A year ago Josh Kelly was averaging 24 disposals. ( He's 22 now, 83 games ).

Wait until a few of our more inconsistent kids get to 50 games.
With averageds I worry more about a player who comes out every week and gets 20 disposals, than i do about a young kid who has some stinkers, but also has some 30 disposal games.

StKilda as a team averaged the 3rd most possessions in the contest. ( Behind Melbourne and Collingwood ).
This sort of suggests that if someone had got more of the ball, someone else would have got less. They are in fact sharing the load.

BUT!!!

Saints are 10th in the league for contested possessions, with notably, Crows, Melbourne, Port, Cats, Swans, Dogs, Giants , and Richmond above us.
When people say we have enough inside mids. Well true, we do. But do we have enough inside mids who can win contested ball.

Steele shows signs of being a gun at it. Armitage and Steven can throw together a handful of high CP games if they can get fit.
Ross and Stevens sometimes, but not normally.
Dunstan doesn't win any more of the contested ball than Jack Lonie on a good day.
Sinclair wins a surprising amount for the type of role he plays.

To get more contested ball, without recruiting, we really need Armitage and Steven to be fit and Steele to improve.

THEN:
There is a guy who played for Sandringham , i hate to hang my hat on him but......
Round 10 ( Coburg ) 30 possessions, 19 contested, 9 clearances.
Round 11 ( Werribbee) 37 possessions, 25 contested, 10 clearances.

I think the Doggies epic finals run created a lot of false hope and a myth about the bye.
Essentially nothing has changed. Sure once in a blue moon some side will win a flag from outside the top four but bye or no bye this will remain a rare event.
To win a flag you need a side that can make top four a few years in a a row.

I think the Doggies epic finals run created a lot of false hope and a myth about the bye.
Essentially nothing has changed. Sure once in a blue moon some side will win a flag from outside the top four but bye or no bye this will remain a rare event.
To win a flag you need a side that can make top four a few years in a a row.
dogs also got a bit of favour from the umps to get their dream run last year .... damn i wish we would get one ..

he got drafted to the crows and was not mature enough to take the opportunity put in front of him so he came back and worked his arse off in the WAFL when we got him he was ready to make the most of his shot but his shoulders let him down... he then got over taken by Bruce and lost the spot he was earmarked for , Richo sent him to the backline to try and make something of the carreer but then we landed Jake and Brown so he was delisted .. to add salt into the wound then Dempster retired so had Dempster retired at the end of last season instead of at the start of this season Lee may have kept his spot .... seriously bad luck for him.. hes a top bloke though and he is not one to be bitter about his shot disolving around him

Yep Tom was a gun of a guy. He had a shoulder issue that was never identified until just before the end of his career where his shoulders would pop out. He didn't have spur of bone that stops it and they had just replied it the year before. He was a really upbeat positive guy despite not getting much of a go and always took responsibility for his own things that needed fixing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back