Discussion General AFL Thread 2017

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I actually agree with you on the being wary stuff.

One thing that really changed my thinking was when I was 18 I lived in a house with 2 listed players for another club (my dad was mate's with a family that hosted new draftees, gave them meals etc. so I got the same deal for a year). The thing is, most of these draftees are just naive kids, more naive than the average 18 year old. The world they get thrown into with drink-cards, nightclubs etc. is a shock for most of them. I'll never forget my housemates, as a joke at a nightclub we were at, introducing me as a new recruit to a few of the well known groupies there. My god, the grilling they gave me "what position do you play, what number are you, we haven't seen you etc." made you realise how calculating they were and how they really target a lot of these players in a systematic way knowing exactly what they want.

Yes, a lot of the players aren't angels but the groupies are certainly not innocent victims either. A lot of these young blokes just happen to be good at footy and their social skills are quite poor. The chances of them spotting a Duthie type early and keeping clear of her are pretty low. It's one thing preaching for them to be careful but we have to be realistic here. If the average person on the street can be manipulated by prince/princess charming on a regular basis, what chance do some footballers have? Like I said in an earlier post, in this day and age with social media like it is, we will need laws to protect us from a lot of the damage scorned and unstable exes and others can do to reputations on social media. The sooner they come in the better.
Reminds me of one of my favourite sportsman quotes. Presenter to epl player - what would you be if you weren’t a footballer. His reply - a virgin.

Overrating the bombers. Very soft draw this year and their midfield is relatively weak. Wouldn't be suprised if they miss the finals or barely scrape in again.

The AFL are trying to cash them up. They have a draw designed to give them a top 4 spot.

when she said she was pregnant he didn't bother getting proof, at some stage left her alone with his computer.
That was probably the most alarming time for me.....when she said she'd miscarried twins.......I was waiting to see when that happened and at what hospital.........when there was absolutely nothing in the media after that(especially the HS which was pushing hard on the whole subject)...that's when my alarm bells about her were ringing very loudly.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
You have obviously never met my wife. Seriously, but she's awesome anyway.

Anyway, I don't think there's much point in continuing to express my thoughts on this matter. Clearly we think differently about it. I really hope that Sam Gilbert doesn't just believe it was bad luck.
i think you both are right in this ... yes it was just a case of bad luck but it also serves as a good warning to players that they need to be more cautious then the average punter on the street ... if i remember correctly the girl had been around a bit with some other players before it blew up for gilbo..
i dont know the details indepth but from my perception of Gilbo from the times i have met him and seen him interacting with fellow teammates gilbo comes across as a quiet, caring individual.. not really they type to "churn and burn" through girls so perhaps due to that nature he was more trusting then he should have been and perhaps allowed the girl in too close too soon? perhaps a harsher bloke would have turfed her out before she had the chance to steal things ??
i think the real lesson to be learnt is the way the situation was handled especially whoever it was who had the idea to allow Ricky Nixon anywhere near the girl...

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I had an Alaskan girlfriend in 2013-2014.
The only thing she knew about St Kilda was the “St Kilda schoolgirl”.
Courtesy of Google, they’re a bit remote up there.
So when she visited me in SC soon after, I had to apprise her of the real story.
That gives you a good idea of the damage the young girl inflicted on everybody and the club’s brand in particular.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Players & club to learn what exactly?

Nothing the players or the club did was wrong. Players can take whatever photos they want of themselves. Someone then stealing those photos & being glorified for it, not condemned or charges by police, was a ******* disgrace

If I saw the slag in the street, I’d give the piece of s**t an earfull. She ruined those player lives for nearly 2 years & wrecked the club’s reputation & cost it sponsorship deals for at least 5 years.

She’s an absolute dead s**t human & had the gall to just laugh about it. She’s ******* scum
What she did with stealing those photos and publishing is now a crime...

Stupid idiot girl whom hopefully gas grown up.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Yes but I bet whoever it is he's bound to know a Saints player so we will be linked.
Doesn't even need to know him:

"The AFL, famous for scandals such as the St Kilda Schoolgirl, is awash with yet another case of sexual abuse"

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
jeepers the Dee's are having a stinker players getting the AFLPA to stop the club doing a bootcamp... now this .. the dees are mentally weak so unlike the saints who were able to perform in the face of the scandals i reckon the wheels might just fall off the Dee's

dees are mentally weak so unlike the saints who were able to perform in the face of the scandals i reckon the wheels might just fall off the Dee's
tumblr_n0fc5nB5Xy1t95h1uo1_400.gif

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
If the alleged victim hasn't gone to Indonesian police, what's going to happen?

If they have, it would be a massive story - Indonesian legal drama cross AFL sex scandal.
i dont know if many would report things to the indo police .. ive heard of a few cases of victim blaming and police taking bribes to make things go away over there so i would say the girl made the complaint here...
i guess we dont know what the complaint is so its a bit hard to say how big a story it iis going to be but with the current climate (that i agree with) around stamping out sexual abuse i dont think this one will be easily swept under the carpet ..

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
What she did with stealing those photos and publishing is now a crime...

Stupid idiot girl whom hopefully gas grown up.

An important thing to remember for all those that sfellow about the whole incident and think it was a bit of harmless fun etc. Crimes like this have some pretty awful fall-out for the innocent victims in this day and age where reputation on social media is so important. She was just lucky she did it when she did.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
An important thing to remember for all those that sfellow about the whole incident and think it was a bit of harmless fun etc. Crimes like this have some pretty awful fall-out for the innocent victims in this day and age where reputation on social media is so important. She was just lucky she did it when she did.
timing is the key here .. if done today i think the response would be very differant .. at the time Rooey and Dal were somehow portrayed as the bad guys initially Dal took one approach in dealing with it and for the most part got an easier run through it Rooey took a differant approach and i feel copped more negative comment than Dal did...
if you think back to Fev and his photo scandal with the nude Lara Bingle shot had that been today Fev would be totally screwed and rightfully so...

God good we do worry a little to much about what other people think and like to play the victim.
poor old StKilda everyone picks on us

TBF, we worry because we can't meet these people, and in our minds berate them and physically accost them like you would a rolled up newspaper and a dog for shitting on your favourite pair of shoes.

The difference is the dog actually looks apologetic whilst the journo goes to several people all proud.

Back