AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Harris' $150k request is driven by her manager and her boxing career. She's going back into the ring, and if she wins that fight, her next fight she/her manager reckons it is for a world championship.

So a $150k would have to be paid by the AFL like the reported $750k they paid Izzy Folau and Karmichael Hunt for marketing the game in the expansion markets. If I was Erin Phillips' manager I would be asking for the same marketing deal.

Erin worth 3 times what Harris is worth.

I wouldn't say she was even that marketable. I dare say not one person I know would have a clue who she even is. That's the reality of it hence the paycheck is seen as outta whack especially when it's based on actual footballing.

Nah she is pretty close to the biggest name in AFLW.

If people you know don't know who she is then they are people who don't follow any AFLW news, which is pretty ubiquitous at this point.

I don't think anybody here is suggesting she deserves it for her footballing, she isn't particularly good at that (at least relative to the Garners/Bowers/Houghtons/Blackburns of the world).

Erin worth 3 times what Harris is worth.
Erin is worth at least 3 times more as a player.

But Harris and her manager are after off field $$$. That's something different. That's why I say she can go and sign as many ASA's as she can.

But if the AFL are the ones paying some sort of marketing fee like they did with Izzy Folau and Karmichael Hunt, then if I was Erin's manager I would be sticking my hand out for a similar sized fee.

And would it be that unreasonable for a two-time premiership winning, two-time league best-and-fairest in a nationally televised sporting code to be on $450k?

Probably a little, but these numbers aren't as crazy as they sound.

In a league that makes no money, declining attendances, viewership and plays 8 games a year.. yes. The reality between what it is and what it's been and was marketed as is astounding in how it's effected perceptions. It's also to blame for it's nose dive and Gil.

Closest comparison in AFL is Nic Naitanui. At least half of what he gets paid for is for being this great symbol of multiculturalism that has something about him that brings people through the gates. The on field component can sometimes be only part of the package.

Closest comparison in AFL is Nic Naitanui. At least half of what he gets paid for is for being this great symbol of multiculturalism that has something about him that brings people through the gates. The on field component can sometimes be only part of the package.

Poor comparison. Nic Nat has been AA twice and a club bnf. He's good at football.

Naitanui has more impact on games than just about any other player, I would gladly have him at Port for $900k a season!

tenor.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port will get a team for 2023 season if we get our s**t together for a 9th July submission.

- AFL Commission endorses further expansion of NAB AFLW Competition
- All 18 AFL clubs to have an AFLW team by 2023
- NAB AFLW Season Six to begin in December 2021 and have clear air throughout

The AFL is calling for submissions from Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and the Sydney Swans to join the NAB AFL Women's Competition after the AFL Commission this week gave the green light for further expansion of the competition.

The Commission has committed to all 18 AFL clubs having a NAB AFLW team by the beginning of Season Eight – 2023, with the ability for clubs, based on their submissions and readiness, to be admitted into the competition as early as Season Seven – 2022.

The decision to expand the competition again, after the AFLW was expanded from eight teams to 10 teams in 2019 and then to 14 teams in 2020, comes as the number of girls and women playing football had grown to more than 600,000.

The four clubs seeking an AFLW licence have been given until July 9, 2021 to provide a submission on their readiness to enter the national competition, including detailing their team build strategy, corporate support and facilities.

The AFL Commission expects to make a decision on the club submissions at its meeting in August this year.

We don't feel that the competition is whole without all 18 clubs and we know from the clubs that they don't feel whole now without an AFLW team
Gillon McLachlan
The AFL Commission has also endorsed a change in the timing of the NAB AFLW Competition to ensure the elite women's season has its own window from Round One through to the Grand Final, removing any overlap with the Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

This timing provides an ability to optimise the audience and coverage, particularly for the NAB AFLW Finals Series, as well as supporting other considerations such as maximising attendance and participation objectives.

Season Six, which will increase from nine rounds to 10 rounds plus three weeks of finals, will now begin in December 2021 with the NAB AFLW Grand Final to be held in mid-March ahead of the opening round of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

In the short term, the AFL will work with the existing 14 AFLW clubs to ensure that when an 18- team competition occurs they will be in the best position to continue to grow and be competitive, while also working with the expansion teams on talent pathways and list building to ensure they have access to experienced players and that the emerging player pathways are supported to drive the demand for new talent.

Government Funding....here we come!
Not much largess to sports in the budget and none for individual sports clubs in Tuesday's budget.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back