AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anybody know what this means for us? Are all three heading our way (Scholz, Young and Goody)? Admittedly this is the first time I've heard of Matilda Scholz but is there any chance that she is why we let go of McGrath?

Last edited:

Does anybody know what this means for us? Are all three heading our way (Scholz, Young and Goody)? Admittedly this is the first time I've heard of Matilda Scholz but is there any chance that she is why we let go of McGrath?
Nothing much.

This is 6th AFLW Academy intake, the boys have had it since 1997 when it was called the AIS-AFL Academy and 30 scholarships awarded each year.

In 2011 the AFL split/added it into 2 squads, Level I kids who were entering the draft within 12 months of being selected and Level 2, players would get almost 2 years in the squad, 30 players each level. The AIS 2 years later said this is too expensive and dropped it, NAB took over funding it.

In 2018-19 the intake changed, it blew out to about 150, but Covid meant 2020-21 intake was cut back to 30 players.

That article listed 30 female players.

Watched most of the 1st qtr of the prelim final between Brizvegas and the crows and it was 0.0 v 0.0 and turned off the TV.

Turn on the TV 10.25 to go in the 3rd quarter and see the score is 6.1 v 1.2 Brizvegas up and think, I watched the wrong quarter. 20 seconds in shitty 45 degree kick from a mark at CHB by Brisbane player, crows turn ball over and ball gets to Ponter about 35m out, takes a mark plays on around opponent and kicks a nice goal. 3/4 time now and all I saw scored aftr that goal was Brisbane 2 pts.

So I've watched more than half the game and seen 1.2 kicked of the 8.5. Score is 39 v 14 at 3/4 time.

But the standard of play has been so much better than watching a Port game. so it should be these are the best 2 W teams over the 7 seasons.

Still see basic errors but the kicking and marking has been so much better. Saw a Lions player take a 2 bounce run, bounced it properly but saw a body come at her so rather than grab the ball on 2nd bounce,ped tap it around the crows player, but didn't get around her.

The umpiring has been a lot better than in Port games.

Ok Lions player took a nice mark in goal squared under pressure, spins in marking contest turns around and kicks a goal from 2m out. Brisbane up by 32 pts - Season 7 is all over for the crows. Women don't kick a quick 5 or 6 goals.

And on queue as I type above Randall kicks a goal, crows 26 pts down 11.50 to go.

AFLW grand final venues revealed​

Jon Pierik

Brisbane’s new Springfield facility will host the AFLW grand final next weekend should the Lions defeat Adelaide on Friday night.

The AFL confirmed on Friday that the Lions’ $80 million training base at Brighton Homes Arena would be used because the Gabba was unavailable because of cricket. Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast was also unavailable because of concert commitments.

However, the capacity expected at Brighton Homes Arena is only about 10,000,

AFLW grand final venues revealed​

Jon Pierik

Brisbane’s new Springfield facility will host the AFLW grand final next weekend should the Lions defeat Adelaide on Friday night.

The AFL confirmed on Friday that the Lions’ $80 million training base at Brighton Homes Arena would be used because the Gabba was unavailable because of cricket. Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast was also unavailable because of concert commitments.

However, the capacity expected at Brighton Homes Arena is only about 10,000,

10,000 might be a stretch...

If the crows had won and Melbourne lose tomorrow, the GF would have been played at Richmond oval.

Brisbane will probably build a couple of temporary stands, maybe hold 2000 people each stand.

MCG style lock in of Marvel for future AFLW Grand Finals for the next eleventy years incoming...

Last edited:
I have just seen a game in which one side had the ball in their forward half for 82% of the quarter but managed only 2 points for the quarter. I know the Power are wasteful at times but not that wasteful surely? Melbourne were not much better, just more efficient up forward.

Brisbane girls to win next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jess Hosking has had an eventful past few weeks, wonder if she wrote 'Kill Bitches' on the jet ski :think:

To borrow from our previous PM, there are a few "loose units" playing AFLW.

AFLW is basically like footy was in the 80's and 90's, part time and semi pro. Back then the media wasn't all invasive, like the now mega media industry AFL is these days, so the loose units and characters got away with stuff. Some of the girls wont get that luxury.

Expect "AFLW bad girl" to be attached to this player from now on.
C7Cq-MMf_400x400.jpg

Perfect pear?

Then why was she delisted?? Something else to it?
Well I mean Norf are way better than us for a start, so their better delistings are still gonna be good relative to our list. She is also 32 so could be being pushed out to reinvigorate the list. I did read on Facebook she wasn't a coaches favourite - but honestly I lean to that being social media bullshit.

She is a great player with size, experience and goal sense which we desperately need especially if Gemma gets injured again.

In other news Sabreena Duffy got delisted too after struggling with a foot injury all year. Still only 22 and was elite at her peak when she played at the Dockers with Houghton. I'm guessing the Demons feel they won't get her back to her best but again one that if she is a chance we would be mad not to at least do the medical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back