AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I genuinely don't even understand the issue. Why is it any different than a free agent recruitment in the men's AFL?

Because there are different rules for different teams.

Which is totally fair given the staggered start and obviously totally lopsided competition that has resulted from it.

I genuinely don't even understand the issue. Why is it any different than a free agent recruitment in the men's AFL?
Sydney has signed her on a 5 year deal. Only Sydney, Hawthorn, Essendon and us clubs are allowed to sign a player for that long.

Everyone else is limited to three years.

Last edited:
Wardlaw officially gone from the Lions.

Honestly I get why its happening now but now that no more teams are joining I do hope clubs have a period of stabilising. Not great for clubs to see players like Wardlaw go after one really good season.

335399008_160034546958337_6830524151797034548_n.png

My god Brisbane got rogered here. So badly they probably gave up enough for all the other clubs in the trade to come out on top.

Goody with 30 disposals at the under 18 champs.

Surely if we have first two picks in the main draft it has to be Goody + Young.

Also couldn't help but notice the name "Zippy Fish" (her real name) playing for WA. Has "cult hero" written all over her haha

Goody with 30 disposals at the under 18 champs.

Surely if we have first two picks in the main draft it has to be Goody + Young.

Also couldn't help but notice the name "Zippy Fish" (her real name) playing for WA. Has "cult hero" written all over her haha

Window is dominating the sanflw as a kid, Brooksby is highly rated as well so there’s at least 4 strong choices in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Our" girl (hopefully) Lauren Young among a bunch of South Aussies in the U18 All Aus team...

St Kilda just beat Brisbane by 4 goals.

How in the actual hell did we really beat them at their home ground??? 😂😂😂
Just St Kilda things.

And lol at the Lions, they just cost themselves the McClelland trophy

With the AFLW GF being on 3 December it looks like there's no pre-finals bye like the blokes get. The Crowettes could well finish top, given that they are playing WCE and the Melbas are away to the Lionesses, but they will be playing in Perth starting at 2.05pm, so that should take some of the stuffing out of them...

1699060015062.png

Watched a bit of Sydney and GC final last night whilst flicking channels.

The Swans have taken massive steps since I saw us thump them by 10 goals in Rd 4 at Alberton last year.

They have recruited some good experienced players, yes including Chloe Molloy who is a star, but its their overall skills improvement that was impressive to watch.

It begs the question, why haven't we made a similar improvement in our skills?? Poor coaching? Poor development programs?

When some people on here have complained about our lack of success, other people who watch the comp closely, have said it will take time, the talent pool is shallow, and we are a long way behind the best 4 or 5 original 8 clubs, and the 2 next phase expansion clubs North and Geelong, before the next 4 came in.

I agree that at this stage we shouldn't try and benchmark ourselves against Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Collingwood, North and Geelong and expect to beat them all the time, but why can't we benchmark ourselves against Sydney and Essendon who made finals this year and look for the same sort of improvement and skills development from our players??

Sydney aren't stealing lots of players from Victoria and offering them heaps of job opportunities to nominate for the NSW draft zone rather than the Victorian draft zone.

Last edited:
If there isn't improvement next year I would be looking at making changes in the coaching department. And that's not just the coach, it includes the list management as well which has been mostly diabolical.

We currently tracking below par. Arguably not way below par, but still below expectations and if we are an ambitious and ruthless club we should be looking at the Swans and Dons and asking 'why not us?'. There is nothing structurally that prevents us from competing to make, lets say, the bottom half of the 8. I think we have a lot of the pieces in place.

Just throwing it out there though...zero chance we sack a coach who has just had a kid. Zero chance. Imagine the optics!

Just throwing it out there though...zero chance we sack a coach who has just had a kid. Zero chance. Imagine the optics!
Ken and Donna scheduling in a few steamy sessions for November 2024 as we speak.

If there isn't improvement next year I would be looking at making changes in the coaching department. And that's not just the coach, it includes the list management as well which has been mostly diabolical.

We currently tracking below par. Arguably not way below par, but still below expectations and if we are an ambitious and ruthless club we should be looking at the Swans and Dons and asking 'why not us?'. There is nothing structurally that prevents us from competing to make, lets say, the bottom half of the 8. I think we have a lot of the pieces in place.

Arnell could decide to finish up coaching on her own accord because of the baby.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back