AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be interesting to know why Sydney haven't pursued a license given market size and being the most established Sydney based club
Someone on the women's footy board thread reckons they said they don't have the facilities to host a women's team. I assume that means change rooms and other stuff. As I said in that thread I reckon they knew the AFL wouldn't bank roll them and would bank roll the GWS. I suspect the Buddy deal still lingers at AFL House.

With the rise of AFLW, WBBL and the W-League in recent years it will be interesting to see how the national womens' teams in sports where Australia has traditionally been top(ish) performers will go over the next 10-20 years: netball, basketball, hockey, lacrosse, maybe softball.... Rugby 7's gold at the last Olympics might add to this as well.

Not knocking the concept, I think it's awesome that my little girl can look up to more high profile (commercial TV, newspapers) sportswomen and be inspired to reach the same heights, but given our comparatively small population I wonder how far those national teams will fall back to the pack.

With the rise of AFLW, WBBL and the W-League in recent years it will be interesting to see how the national womens' teams in sports where Australia has traditionally been top(ish) performers will go over the next 10-20 years: netball, basketball, hockey, lacrosse, maybe softball.... Rugby 7's gold at the last Olympics might add to this as well.

Not knocking the concept, I think it's awesome that my little girl can look up to more high profile (commercial TV, newspapers) sportswomen and be inspired to reach the same heights, but given our comparatively small population I wonder how far those national teams will fall back to the pack.
The Olympic sports will suffer unless they get $$$ into the sports. The ARU targeted women from Olympic sports and non Olympic sports within 12 months of Rugby being announced as an Olympic sports but started spending big about 2.5 years before Rio ie paying a decent wage, bringing the players into a campus set up and making them full time as the Women's 7 have about 8 tournaments a year world wide and the men's have 10. The ARU for all their stuff ups have run the women's program extremely well. Lets see if they have the brains and commitment to continue on to Tokyo and beyond.

The Olympic sports will suffer unless they get $$$ into the sports. The ARU targeted women from Olympic sports and non Olympic sports within 12 months of Rugby being announced as an Olympic sports but started spending big about 2.5 years before Rio ie paying a decent wage, bringing the players into a campus set up and making them full time as the Women's 7 have about 8 tournaments a year world wide and the men's have 10. The ARU for all their stuff ups have run the women's program extremely well. Lets see if they have the brains and commitment to continue on to Tokyo and beyond.

I hate to disagree with you old chap but the ARU have treated the 7's girls like garbage. They were put into a camp, in dorms, paid a pittance and basically ignored. The fact they won that gold medal is a credit to the team and their immediate staff. Bill Pulver has treated them appallingly. He is less popular than Gil but flies under the radar.

At last years John Eales medal do you think they made any sort of fuss over the most successful national representative team we have in this country?

Correct. The whole night was about the underachieving wallabies. According to my sources not all of the gold medalists were even invited. I certainly couldn't see them all from my seat and it was confirmed by very disappointed team members.

Disgraceful.

At last years John Eales medal do you think they made any sort of fuss over the most successful national representative team we have in this country?

Correct. The whole night was about the underachieving wallabies. According to my sources not all of the gold medalists were even invited. I certainly couldn't see them all from my seat and it was confirmed by very disappointed team members.

Disgraceful.

That's f@#ked.

I hate to disagree with you old chap but the ARU have treated the 7's girls like garbage. They were put into a camp, in dorms, paid a pittance and basically ignored. The fact they won that gold medal is a credit to the team and their immediate staff. Bill Pulver has treated them appallingly. He is less popular than Gil but flies under the radar.

Disgraceful.
I will stand corrected. But someone designed an excellent system to capture women from other codes and bring them together and achieve the goal of winning gold at Rio, when Oz wasn't rated the best team 5 or 6 years out from Rio. I thought they had better accommodation than dorms and that they had reasonable pay, I knew it wasn't huge, but that combined with their living arrangements its was a reasonable package. I have heard that there are issues post Rio and that's why I asked if the ARU have the brains to get it right for Tokyo, because the gold medal gave them a huge leg up in the battle for hearts, minds and talent of women and girls that the different sports are competing for.

Rugby is the perfect sport for women who want to play contact sports (far more suited than footy). At the level most play it allows for all body types, has lots of set pieces and the skills are quicker to learn.

I will stand corrected. But someone designed an excellent system to capture women from other codes and bring them together and achieve the goal of winning gold at Rio, when Oz wasn't rated the best team 5 or 6 years out from Rio. I thought they had better accommodation than dorms and that they had reasonable pay, I knew it wasn't huge, but that combined with their living arrangements its was a reasonable package. I have heard that there are issues post Rio and that's why I asked if the ARU have the brains to get it right for Tokyo, because the gold medal gave them a huge leg up in the battle for hearts, minds and talent of women and girls that the different sports are competing for.

I wish you were right mate. Pulver is hopeless. The last chairman of the ARU extended Pulvers contract by 3 years without consultation. Boys club alive and well in Sydney.

I wish you were right mate. Pulver is hopeless. The last chairman of the ARU extended Pulvers contract by 3 years without consultation. Boys club alive and well in Sydney.
* I didn't know that. I knew he wasn't well liked but thought it came with the territory. Sounds like he is being protected by the boys network. Super Rugby and the Wallabies have gone backwards the last 5 years under his reign. The girls have been a shining light, maybe the only one the last 2 or 3 years. Bloody shame they have been so poorly treated.

Although it is only 2 rounds in the success of the Adelaide Crows and the Brisbane Lions has caused people to consider where the Grand Final may be played.

There had been an assumption the AFLW Grand Final would be in Melbourne regardless of the contestants but McLachlan said there was no contractual obligations to play the game at either the MCG or Etihad Stadium and the match would be played in the home state of the top-placed side.
The AFLW Grand Final is scheduled for March 25 which coincides with Round 1 of the AFL men’s competition.
There are no games scheduled that afternoon meaning the women could take centre stage at either Adelaide Oval or Thebarton Oval if the Crows win the right to host the game.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ad...ain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Sport_Desktop

Port play at Sydney on March 25 and Adelaide at AO on March 26 so there would be no clash of games if Adelaide took hosting rights. Whether they would use Thebarton or AO should not have to depend on whether the ground can recover, a game has been played there before the day after a rock concert with huge numbers of people trampling over the turf.
With a capacity of 15000 and a record crowd of 20832 in the days when OH&S requirements were mostly ignored, it would seem Thebarton would not be the best for a final.

The story was written by an Advertiser writer.

Sophie Casey has a 2-week ban for her hit on Meg Downie.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-13/aflw-magpie-cops-twoweek-ban-for-demon-ko

Considering the short nature of the NAB AFL Women's competition – seven rounds compared to 23 for the men – a two-match ban would be the equivalent of a male player missing six games.

The obvious logic used is that for a comp 1/3 as long a suspension 1/3 as long is the only fair one. Not so, what if a player is suspended for 1 game for a relatively minor infringement but one where a fine is not appropriate, then another player does something worthy of a much longer suspension? Do they get just one game more because of the length of the fixture? Giving out 6 games and rubbing her out for the season does not seem right but there should be a happy medium.

Eddie Dingle you were right. She did pop a hamstring just before she was knocked out.

Melbourne AFLW defender Meg Downie out for season but for injury separate to brutal concussion

MELBOURNE defender Meg Downie will miss the rest of the AFLW season, but not because of the brutal concussion she suffered against Collingwood.

Downie was crunched by Magpie Sophie Casey, who has accepted a two-game ban from the Match Review Panel for the incident, in the fourth quarter of the Dees’ win.

But just seconds before the bump which saw Downie stretchered off the ground, she ruptured her hamstring — an injury which will see her miss the rest of the 2017 season.

“When Meg was regaining consciousness, she actually mentioned to the medical team that her hamstring was injured,” women’s football operations manager Debbie Lee said.

“The medical team thought she was still concussed when talking about it, but Meg was quite right.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wom...n/news-story/d1394f8019e4915f7b50d0636dad2348

Eddie Dingle you were right. She did pop a hamstring just before she was knocked out.

Melbourne AFLW defender Meg Downie out for season but for injury separate to brutal concussion

MELBOURNE defender Meg Downie will miss the rest of the AFLW season, but not because of the brutal concussion she suffered against Collingwood.

Downie was crunched by Magpie Sophie Casey, who has accepted a two-game ban from the Match Review Panel for the incident, in the fourth quarter of the Dees’ win.

But just seconds before the bump which saw Downie stretchered off the ground, she ruptured her hamstring — an injury which will see her miss the rest of the 2017 season.

“When Meg was regaining consciousness, she actually mentioned to the medical team that her hamstring was injured,” women’s football operations manager Debbie Lee said.

“The medical team thought she was still concussed when talking about it, but Meg was quite right.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wom...n/news-story/d1394f8019e4915f7b50d0636dad2348

I see all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Janus ever does the same, then it truly is the end times.

lol Janus will just spin some never-ending harebrained theory to suit his argument even though it's clearly crazy talk.

I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here
C4M-lxmUcAA9AjP.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back