AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Other thoughts from the weekend:

Suns will push some teams early but will fade late. Multiple players absolutely spent in the third term. Won't do much this year unfortunately.
GWS, Brisbane, West Coast and Carlton are destined to be also-rans (if I'm wrong about any of these its the Blues). Put a line through Norf, Geelong, St Kilda.
Collingwood might have been a contender, but Davey is too big a loss to cover. Her timeline is crucial - if she can get back within a month add the Pies to the contenders list.

Jury is out for me on Richmond and the Bulldogs. Tiges could be a genuine dark horse. Dogs may just need to find a bit of in season momentum.

The three main contenders right now for mine:
Freo - Looked shaky at times but I reckon Wet Toast will do that to a few clubs this year. Ebony Antonio played possessed, if she can maintain that they will be tough to stop as they are basically adding yet another offensive weapon to a side stacked with them.
Adelaide - Did everything they needed to against the reigning premier and seem good all over the ground. Should feature again deep in to finals.
Melbourne - Most skilled team in the comp but struggled to maintain momentum when pushed. Dogs couldn't keep that fire going long enough. Rightful favourites on the back of that but good opposition coaches have a blueprint.

Tuesday Edit: Managed to finally watch the Norf game more fully (beyond highlights). They were better than I thought they were. Stick them in the jury's out list. Geelong may still lack firepower but Nina Morrison is rapidly making a case for best defender in the league, she makes it very tough to score - Cats might have quite a few low scoring games this season and with luck might even take a couple of scalps.

Last edited:

Cats and Dogs game might get re-scheduled due to the Dogs not having enough players available due to Covid.

For reference, for round 1 they had to pick a best 22 from 24 available (and then lost one of their best players Huntington early on). Definitely puts that game in perspective.

I hate how much I like the Collingwood AFLW team.
Is it possible that you switched on the TV and thought you were watching Port Adelaide play in the prison bars? I've been told that's a serious risk.

Finally got to watching the Freo-Pies game, probably my two favourite teams to watch so was keen to see them head to head.

Definitely a reality check for the Pies. Free kicks were pretty heavily against but honestly most of them were there, and for the most part holding the balls against those 15-22 type players who just couldn't handle the Freo pressure. They also showed a real weakness up forward - Frederick is simply not the player she was, fumbly in the air and lacking pace, and when you mark Molloy out of the contest they really seem to have no avenue to goal. They are lacking an inside/outside type with a penetrating kick inside 50 too to put pressure on - basically Davey's role. Without her back they won't compete for the flag this year.

If Freo hadn't already announced themselves as a contender they definitely did last night. What you notice now is that they are not just relying on the older brigade any more but they were really led by Miller, and a lot of their lesser known or less acclaimed players like Lowe, Stannett, McMahon and Tighe are really stepping up. Roux is starting to deliver on that insane potential she showed early now as well as her fitness gets up to the level. Dees and Crows still going to be mighty tough obstacles but I'm switching to Freo for my flag pick right now.

Freo super unlucky not to have a flag yet - 2020 was theirs 'til covid

tbh how both Freo and Melbourne have somehow not made a GF yet is really quite suprising
I tend to think Melbourne were overrated in the inception of the AFLW due to having well-known marquee players, and since then have largely been bog average. Its only really this season were they have started looking like a threat, and I'm still yet to be 100% convinced until I see them face off against a top side because they seem to get put off their game with a bit of pressure.

Freo not winning it yet is really bloody tough and I feel for their players and members especially in 2020, and especially given their lack of success in the AFL. I'm definitely on team Freo for this season (and probably will be until we come in).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo super unlucky not to have a flag yet - 2020 was theirs 'til covid

tbh how both Freo and Melbourne have somehow not made a GF yet is really quite suprising
There's still a lot of any given Sunday with the AFLW, it pains me to say but the crows have been the only team to have a bit of consistency with their ability.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Sydney have announced a bloke as their inaugural AFLW coach. Bloke who was N0rf's inaugural bloke AFLW coach...

Sydney have announced a bloke as their inaugural AFLW coach. Bloke who was N0rf's inaugural bloke AFLW coach...

I've never seen any issue with this. Appoint the best candidate available to get wins on the board, who cares what gender they identify as?

The reality is that as the game goes on and you have smart players make the decision to go in to coaching - Emma Kearney, Ebony Marinoff types, it will get to the point where almost all coaches are female in AFLW and male in AFL, with perhaps a small number crossing over, because each game is unique and those that have playing experience will have a big advantage. Right now there is nobody with >6 years experience playing AFLW because its new, so a lot of the best candidates are still going to be men who had the advantage of having a significant experience advantage from the men's game.

From a Port perspective I want the candidate that will deliver a flag as early as possible. If they are male, female or non-binary I couldn't give less of a s**t.

Also I have a really weird question...

Has Kelli Underwood become more tolerable in recent weeks?

Or is it just that after listening to her enough you become accustomed to her s**t, like being able to naturally tune out the worst of Derwayne?

I swear to god I was watching a game on the weekend and was enjoying her commentating. Had to pinch myself.

Another shellacking by an original side over a new side. Lions 98 beat Eagles 24 at Eagles home ground Lathlain Park.

Not sure what restrictive covid protocols Lions had to go thru but if they were harsh like last year thats an even bigger win.

Not a good sign for the new expansion teams come this December.

Early days with only 3 games in so far but Essendon VFLW squad is 3-0 with 595% after smashing all three opponents (they beat Footscray 98-0 in Rnd 1)

You'd imagine they'd keep a large proportion of their VFLW team next year and will be interesting if the step up for them is like all the other expansion sides or whether they are competitive

Another shellacking by an original side over a new side. Lions 98 beat Eagles 24 at Eagles home ground Lathlain Park.

Not sure what restrictive covid protocols Lions had to go thru but if they were harsh like last year thats an even bigger win.

Eagles have looked like red hot garbage every time I've watched them this year - I really don't understand where the pre-season hype for them came from.

Eagles have looked like red hot garbage every time I've watched them this year - I really don't understand where the pre-season hype for them came from.

Was there preseason hype over the Eagles?

Can’t blame them with 3 coaches in 3 years. Something not right there.

Early days with only 3 games in so far but Essendon VFLW squad is 3-0 with 595% after smashing all three opponents (they beat Footscray 98-0 in Rnd 1)

You'd imagine they'd keep a large proportion of their VFLW team next year and will be interesting if the step up for them is like all the other expansion sides or whether they are competitive

Looking through that list of Essendon players I would not think they would fire a shot against current AFLW sides. Lots of VFLW standard players who haven’t been drafted over the many years, and many delisted AFLW players.

The VFLW looks average this year and has no NAB league players - best under 18s in Vic.

Was there preseason hype over the Eagles?

Can’t blame them with 3 coaches in 3 years. Something not right there.
They seem to just totally lack star power. Similar to GWS. Wont get easier for them either with you would imagine a lot of available talent going to expansion teams.

I definitely heard a few people hyping them up pre season in the media. I guess it might have been based more in hope than reality - a good wet toast is good for the AFLW financially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back