Women's Footy general AFLW talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe you should read it first, rather than just react.

So no relevance. I post that it's more difficult to match the pay due to their being many more to pay and you reply about the wider benefits of the competition.

It is important to attract the best female athletes to improve the standard of the comp.

So no relevance. I post that it's more difficult to match the pay due to their being many more to pay and you reply about the wider benefits of the competition.

It is important to attract the best female athletes to improve the standard of the comp.
Actually, what was implied by your comment was that increases in AFLW pay should be self funded.
That would require the AFLW to bring in a fair bit of money.
I believe Winged questioned the validity of that statement. So a direct response to one of your comments. How is that not relevant?
Then you once again tried to reduce things to a black & white argument by insinuating that if one thinks they should be paid more than the sport generates, then he must believe they are entitled to the highest pay in the land, which is not what was suggested at all.

Actually, what was implied by your comment was that increases in AFLW pay should be self funded.

I believe Winged questioned the validity of that statement. So a direct response to one of your comments. How is that not relevant?
Then you once again tried to reduce things to a black & white argument by insinuating that if one thinks they should be paid more than the sport generates, then he must believe they are entitled to the highest pay in the land, which is not what was suggested at all.

I'm not saying it has to be completely self funded but it's not a charity, it's a business and the goal should be that it does become self sufficient. Very large increases in costs like matching the pay of professional womens crickets will be difficult and require greater revenue.

You can be nit picky but one of the issues with the comp as compared to womens cricket is the greater size of each clubs list and to compete with their pay will be made difficult by this.

The biggest challenge the comp faces is turning it into a professional sport and it's something I find very interesting is how the AFL can do that.

What I was saying is that expecting a new women's competition to be self funding is short sighted and frankly an unsophisticated business model. My point, as previously stated, was there are wider benefits to the code by having a womens competition.

Does Westpac make money directly from their rescue helicopters? Does McDonald's make money directly from the 1000's of happy meals they give away to kids sport every week? No both of this functions are branding and marketing exercises, that bring a positivity to their brands. This is big business not some small business that needs to make money from every product line.

You have consistently been negative about the womens competition, I think we all get it, you don't care for it. So instead of making constant noise and being the contrarian, how about letting the people who do enjoy it do so without your unending negativity

What I was saying is that expecting a new women's competition to be self funding is short sighted and frankly an unsophisticated business model. My point, as previously stated, was there are wider benefits to the code by having a womens competition.

Does Westpac make money directly from their rescue helicopters? Does McDonald's make money directly from the 1000's of happy meals they give away to kids sport every week? No both of this functions are branding and marketing exercises, that bring a positivity to their brands. This is big business not some small business that needs to make money from every product line.

You have consistently been negative about the womens competition, I think we all get it, you don't care for it. So instead of making constant noise and being the contrarian, how about letting the people who do enjoy it do so without your unending negativity

What's contrarian about it? You misinterpret my post based on the thought that whatever I post is just to sound different. You don't have to reply if you don't want to talk about the future of the competition.

The post about was a positive one about womens sport but it also throws up challenges for the AFLW competition. Can it compete with Cricket as a professional womens sport or is it run as you suggested as a branding and marketing exercise?

What's contrarian about it? You misinterpret my post based on the thought that whatever I post is just to sound different. You don't have to reply if you don't want to talk about the future of the competition.

The post about was a positive one about womens sport but it also throws up challenges for the AFLW competition. Can it compete with Cricket as a professional womens sport or is it run as you suggested as a branding and marketing exercise?
OK calling bullshit on most of that.

So what does the women's cricket competition generate?

OK calling bullshit on most of that.

So what does the women's cricket competition generate?

I don't know but long term the goal should be for the comp to be self sufficient, agree? I'm sure that's CA's goal for womens cricket and part of the pay rise (see original post) is about attracting talent which they're no doubt scared of losing to AFLW teams.

I don't know but long term the goal should be for the comp to be self sufficient, agree? I'm sure that's CA's goal for womens cricket and part of the pay rise (see original post) is about attracting talent which they're no doubt scared of losing to AFLW teams.
No I don't agree, the girls league may never run in isolation at a profit. Does that mean the AFL should burn mountains of cash to raise wages, no it doesn't.

There is plenty of talent coming through the younger ranks of girls football, we will lose some of them to cricket and they will lose some to us, just like what happens with the boys. So we shouldnt be scared of losing talent, there are heaps of talented players. You talk like there is a very small pool of talented female athletes, the pool is quite large. The important issue is that girls will have another viable option for a sporting career and participation in women's sport will improve.

Not every great athlete can play football or cricket or basketball etc. But if you get enough participation numbers, the cream will rise to the top and a love of the game can be fostered from a younger age.

Too much focus is put on the ones who "make it" , but for every million boys kicking a footy around only about 100 per year get drafted. But if you could get a million girls kicking the footy around every year the game grows and there are wider benefits to society in women's participation in sport.

Would you be including the increase in TV rights and sponsorship money driven by increased viewer numbers due to increased female interest in the code when figuring out whether or not the comp is self-sufficient?

No I don't agree, the girls league may never run in isolation at a profit. Does that mean the AFL should burn mountains of cash to raise wages, no it doesn't.

There is plenty of talent coming through the younger ranks of girls football, we will lose some of them to cricket and they will lose some to us, just like what happens with the boys. So we shouldnt be scared of losing talent, there are heaps of talented players. You talk like there is a very small pool of talented female athletes, the pool is quite large. The important issue is that girls will have another viable option for a sporting career and participation in women's sport will improve.

Not every great athlete can play football or cricket or basketball etc. But if you get enough participation numbers, the cream will rise to the top and a love of the game can be fostered from a younger age.

Too much focus is put on the ones who "make it" , but for every million boys kicking a footy around only about 100 per year get drafted. But if you could get a million girls kicking the footy around every year the game grows and there are wider benefits to society in women's participation in sport.

I think the AFL should increase pay. Probably from 2019. Match the domestic cricket wage with more for Marquee players ($75,000-$100,000).

Probably add 2 extra teams. Run the comp for 3 months.

Announce it ASAP to get more interested to play this season. Pump a shitload of money into scouting this year and host a draft with the expansion teams included later this year.

They need to be aggressive otherwise they risk it staying as a pre-season marketing exercise. Also strike while the irons hot as many sponsorship and TV deals as possible.

Would you be including the increase in TV rights and sponsorship money driven by increased viewer numbers due to increased female interest in the code when figuring out whether or not the comp is self-sufficient?

Yes

I think the AFL should increase pay. Probably from 2019. Match the domestic cricket wage with more for Marquee players ($75,000-$100,000).

Probably add 2 extra teams. Run the comp for 3 months.

Announce it ASAP to get more interested to play this season. Pump a shitload of money into scouting this year and host a draft with the expansion teams included later this year.

They need to be aggressive otherwise they risk it staying as a pre-season marketing exercise. Also strike while the irons hot as many sponsorship and TV deals as possible.
Hang on, on one hand you have stated the level of play is poor and we will lose players to cricket, then you say more teams need to be added, which will further dilute the player pool?

The competition needs to be bedded down in its own right as a summer comp with the current teams.

Hang on, on one hand you have stated the level of play is poor and we will lose players to cricket, then you say more teams need to be added, which will further dilute the player pool?

The competition needs to be bedded down in its own right as a summer comp with the current teams.

I would hope by announcing the pay more it would attract more to consider it as a career option and pull them away from other professions including cricker and hopeful that the timeframe would allow players to develop. All this would increase the standard. Which yes I believe they need to in order to sustain or grow the popularity of the competition.

I think the AFL needs to be aggressive and cricket fired the first shot. I don't think it's sustainable in the current form and they risk interest dropping off quite rapidly if they don't make big changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hildebrand would've been close, I reckon.

I'd say Frederick-Traub, Bates, Virgo, Kaslar, and McCarthy will make the final cut.

You could see the difference in our team without her in the final qtr thats for sure. Although I'd say we switched off very poorly when we thought we had the match one. Good firecracker to help us win this week I'd hope!

You could see the difference in our team without her in the final qtr thats for sure. Although I'd say we switched off very poorly when we thought we had the match one. Good firecracker to help us win this week I'd hope!

Quite honestly, you could have justified picking our entire backline. Extraordinary that we rank third last for possessions and first by a mile in fewest points conceded.

That's interesting, about an hour or so ago, I went to check our bookmarked AFL site fixture and it wouldn't come up....tried several times, ended up deleting it....bit later on I bookmarked it again from the AFL site and it worked this time.

Must've been having issues..

Can I ask a genuine question on womens footy and I promise I'm not trolling? Are there many straight girls playing?

Reason I ask is I know a girl (who I wanted call homophobic) who went down to a club some years ago and there was an attitude if 'this place is a club for lesbians and we don't really want straight people intruding'. Now as I say this was a few years ago and it may have just been this club and with the growth of the game things may have changed but wondeting if at the Lions and in local clubs there are now many straight girls playing? As whethwr people think its right or wrong if there aren't it can make people feel uncomfortable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back