M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
ABC news reporting a 'sold out crowd,' it was free entry wasn't it?
yep, although you wouldn't think it would take long for them to start charging an entry fee if they continue to draw crowds like that. been mentioned elsewhere that our home ground holds around the 1500 mark, are there any other aussie rules grounds in the greater brisbane region that can hold a decent size crowd ie. 5-10 thousand? (besides the gabba).

would love to get out to one of our home games but it is nearly a 2 hour drive each way for us.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great game - Carlton very well coached and kept to structures.
That was the difference contested possession very even, uncontested went to carlton especially first half. That is structure and spread from the contest.

That Gillespie-Jones is a fair size for a girl

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
Must have been watching a different game as thought it was terrible.

For the sake of the league remaining viable the standard would want to improve fairly rapidly or many fans that have jumped on will be jumping off just as quick. Can't see the interest level being maintained if last night is the standard we get used to seeing.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
Another Collingwood star that receives more press features than possessions. ;)
Reminded me of Rene Kink for some reason.
She is a great story but when you wear those stripes I just can't help myself.

Carlton's setup & discipline was amazing.

Nick Lions

All Australian
Sep 15, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The missus and I found ourselves yelling at the TV 'just pick the f...ing ball up', so not much different to a Lions AFL game really That said, I thought it was fantastic to watch. The Carlton players were much more well drilled than Collingwood. Vescio is a star and liked the clean hands in traffic from Brianna Davey. Bit pissed off that our side isn't on FTA this week.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Must have been watching a different game as thought it was terrible.

For the sake of the league remaining viable the standard would want to improve fairly rapidly or many fans that have jumped on will be jumping off just as quick. Can't see the interest level being maintained if last night is the standard we get used to seeing.

It looked like a men's game from several decades ago to me.

Don't see why it would do anything other than get better?

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As the footy players and not athletes from another sport come through, the level will get a lot better. Fitness will also improve.

The thing to remember is that most of those girls usually play in front of not many, pretty big step up to a sell out crowd.

Leemas

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gave it a chance and watched the game. Crowd and intensity were big ticks but I hold some grave concerns the AFL have rushed it.

The standard simply wasn't there, there's probably 3 girls on each team who could kick the ball beyond 25 metres. I understand how good it is for AFL as a whole but I have some serious concerns they've jumped into too quickly, I think they should have focused on building the talent pool for a few more years because as a fan who was not really that interested to begin with it really was an extremely poor game of AFL.

I really hope the initial excitement and sold out crowds doesn't taper off because it would be quite demoralising for the girls out there to go from packed stadiums to a couple in the stands every week.

That being said the intensity of the way they played really impressed me and to be honest in 5-10 years once the skills have brushed up considerably and the talent pool is there I could find myself watching it, which is something I never thought I'd say to be perfectly honest.

Back