Women's Footy general AFLW talk

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL app and site been incredibly dodgy for anyone else today? Difficult to watch more than 5 seconds at a time.

If it's a 4 goal to 3 last quarter Adelaide's way we could get into a position where % is relevant after all.

Geez Sarah Perkins standing up in the last quarter. Back to back goals to put the crows back in front. Brilliant effort

Geez Sarah Perkins standing up in the last quarter. Back to back goals to put the crows back in front. Brilliant effort

The pies defense is pretty shocking and Perkins is lapping it up. Our defenders will be better suited against her for sure.

2 amazing goals from Philips and puts it beyond a doubt. Brisbane v Adelaide grand final

The pies defense is pretty shocking and Perkins is lapping it up. Our defenders will be better suited against her for sure.

Yep, we are the hardest team to score against by a fair margin.

Melbourne would have made the grand final by about 0.06% if they didn't give away those two goals to Adelaide in the final minute last week! Ouch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But what are they going to do with the 3hr Daisy Pearce grand final special they've produced along with all the promos
It's OK they have a 1.5 hour special on Mo Hope and Mike Shehean interviewing Kate to repla.... oh.

I noticed that Cricket Australia increased the pay for Southern Stars players from $79,000 to $179,000/yr and from $22,000 to $52,000 for state cricketers. I think the new AFLW comp would have been responsible for a lot of the pay increase.

IIRC cricket is most participated sport for women in Australia. 24% of all cricketers are women.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/cric...omen-men-children-james-sutherland/2016-08-23

An issue for the AFLW though is the amount of players. Assuming each state has a squad of 20 that's only 120 cricketers on the CA payroll. Assuming the AFLW teams have 25 in a squad and expand to 12 teams that's 300 women to pay. That would require the AFLW to bring in a fair bit of money.

An issue for the AFLW though is the amount of players. Assuming each state has a squad of 20 that's only 120 cricketers on the CA payroll. Assuming the AFLW teams have 25 in a squad and expand to 12 teams that's 300 women to pay. That would require the AFLW to bring in a fair bit of money.
I think looking at the competition as it's own cost centre is really short sighted. The benefits of wider community involvement and wider interest in the game will be worth ten times what losses the competition may run at, if any.

I think looking at the competition as it's own cost centre is really short sighted. The benefits of wider community involvement and wider interest in the game will be worth ten times what losses the competition may run at, if any.

So you think we should match the pay that CA are offering?

i wonder if they will lengthen the season next year or give it a few years to bed in.

they could play each other home and away which would be a 14 round season and have a top 4 finals series with the grand final to be played in the middle of the AFL season during an all teams bye round and have a really great build up all week. eg. grand final parade, ladies B&F brownlow type night, all australian ceremony.

i really hope they don't bring any new teams in for at least 5-6 years.

i wonder if they will lengthen the season next year or give it a few years to bed in.

they could play each other home and away which would be a 14 round season and have a top 4 finals series with the grand final to be played in the middle of the AFL season during an all teams bye round and have a really great build up all week. eg. grand final parade, ladies B&F brownlow type night, all australian ceremony.

i really hope they don't bring any new teams in for at least 5-6 years.

They would have to look at making them all night games due to the heat if they started any earlier in the year or even the same time. The heat really knocks athletes around and hinders recovery, especially when the girls have limited time. Evem forgetting afl, they need to stay healthy to be able to stay employed and pay their rent.

Maybe model on the big bash family fun night out. The shorter games might work in that format.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back