Women's Footy general AFLW talk

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably 50-50 I'd say......and no problems at all with it. My problem is the media making such a big deal saying it isn't a big deal.
Yeah I'm not raising it as I have a problem just that if there are no straight girls playing it can rightly or wrongly make straight girls feel uncomfortable.

Just watching all the stuff fron the Lions B&F didn't hear 1 player refer to a Husband BF or male partner so not sure how many straight girls play for the Lions. Think Tayla is straight but not sur.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I think I know where you are coming from and what question you are asking. I don't have an answer in regards to the Lions.

It can be a touchy subject, and you should expect a few negative/backlash comments. Not saying they would be right, it's just par for the course when raising such a topic and not being particularly clear about it.

In my (much) younger doof doof days, I had no issues going to the Beat, despite it's reputation. Had no problems up stairs, or sitting out the back having a smoke and talking with drag queens, or anyone else.

There are more than a few openly gay people at my work. No one shoves it in your face, and it rarely comes up in discussion at work.

I guess it just comes down to the type person you are. It's only an issue if you make it an issue.

L Dizz

Team Captain
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I saw a photo of Tayla Harris wearing a Richmond jumper appear on facebook after the game yesterday. Not a great look from the club's marquee player. I just hope it's old.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I saw a photo of Tayla Harris wearing a Richmond jumper appear on facebook after the game yesterday. Not a great look from the club's marquee player. I just hope it's old.
she was sitting in the row in front of us for a large portion of the match and she was wearing a richmond jumper, there were a few jokes and banter going on about it. at one stage a lions guy (official looking) came up and was gesturing/pointing at the jumper having a laugh. not a good look but i as a long time lions supporter took no offense although once the league beds in and if the the girls are ever approaching full time professionalism it would not be a good look. no biggy to me.

L Dizz

Team Captain
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
she was sitting in the row in front of us for a large portion of the match and she was wearing a richmond jumper, there were a few jokes and banter going on about it. at one stage a lions guy (official looking) came up and was gesturing/pointing at the jumper having a laugh. not a good look but i as a long time lions supporter took no offense although once the league beds in and if the the girls are ever approaching full time professionalism it would not be a good look. no biggy to me.
I wouldn't care if she wasn't one of the two players paid (as a marquee) to promote the club. I don't care that she supports Richmond, I'm sure plenty of the others support other clubs too. But maybe leave the jumper at home

If it makes someone uncomfortable it just shows their ignorance. Homosexuals aren't sex crazed and ready to try to devour anyone who enters their den. No one's sexual preferences are anyone else's business and what they do in the bedroom has absolutely no bearing on someone's character. That's pretty much the simple answer.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If it makes someone uncomfortable it just shows their ignorance. Homosexuals aren't sex crazed and ready to try to devour anyone who enters their den. No one's sexual preferences are anyone else's business and what they do in the bedroom has absolutely no bearing on someone's character. That's pretty much the simple answer.

Agree, and that's why I see no reason for it to be in the media etc about who is or isn't gay in the mens teams. Don't blame them for not coming out. No-ones business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree but basically this person was implying there was basically for what of a better term reverse homophobia going on. The attitude was like 'this is for lesbians we don't really want straight people here' so just wondering if that attitude still exists in womens footy

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It is possible though, that any minority can be made to feel on the outer. If you're one of half a dozen straight people in a group of 30 gay people, then that feeling of exclusion can easily exist, whether real or not. That's the premise of the original question; whether the tables are turned somewhat to what happens in general society.
My wife's niece used to play vigoro, with most of the team being gay. There was a level of misandry which meant partners of straight team members were also excluded.
I remember at her 40th birthday, there was a disproportionate number of women who were just unfriendly toward men. Many may have had reason for their attitudes, but for a bloke who was completely non-judgemental and totally accepting, it seemed unfair and uncomfortable. There was also a few who treated straight women differently, as they weren't "one of them".
Gay or straight, people have the ability to be discriminatory assholes, and more so when part of a majority.

Yeah, but the idea that it's due to their sexuality is distasteful to me. My experience with sports teams in general is that they are insular, exclusionary of partners and difficult to be a newcomer to and it takes a level of bigotry to associate it with an involuntary sexual preference rather than dickheads liking to hang out with other dickheads.

L Dizz

Team Captain
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree but basically this person was implying there was basically for what of a better term reverse homophobia going on. The attitude was like 'this is for lesbians we don't really want straight people here' so just wondering if that attitude still exists in womens footy
This is 100% NOT the case in the women's football team I have a fair bit to do with. They're just young women having fun. No different to the guys team.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, but the idea that it's due to their sexuality is distasteful to me. My experience with sports teams in general is that they are insular, exclusionary of partners and difficult to be a newcomer to and it takes a level of bigotry to associate it with an involuntary sexual preference rather than dickheads liking to hang out with other dickheads.
Yeah, I don't think it is because they are gay, anymore than homophobia exists because those who are bigoted are straight. In group situations, I think a herd mentality can easily exist. That said, there doesn't need to be a situation like the one I described either. It needn't be sexual orientation, and I wouldn't suggest it be "blamed" or considered a cause. But it may be a catalyst or defining difference.

fanackapan

All Australian
Aug 4, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It is possible though, that any minority can be made to feel on the outer. If you're one of half a dozen straight people in a group of 30 gay people, then that feeling of exclusion can easily exist, whether real or not. That's the premise of the original question; whether the tables are turned somewhat to what happens in general society.
My wife's niece used to play vigoro, with most of the team being gay. There was a level of misandry which meant partners of straight team members were also excluded.
I remember at her 40th birthday, there was a disproportionate number of women who were just unfriendly toward men. Many may have had reason for their attitudes, but for a bloke who was completely non-judgemental and totally accepting, it seemed unfair and uncomfortable. There was also a few who treated straight women differently, as they weren't "one of them".
Gay or straight, people have the ability to be discriminatory assholes, and more so when part of a majority.

I think maybe one of the big differences with football is that most women's teams play for clubs that have men's teams as well, and there's a fair bit of interaction between them. Certainly that was my experience hanging out with my sister's team when I've visited. The men would help out with coaching for the women's side (especially when they had long-term injuries), when the club had double headers the men would support the women's game, and the women would hang around to support the men afterwards, and postgame events would often be shared. If I had to guess, the women's team was perhaps half-half gay-straight, but to be honest it didn't come up that much, so I could be off by quite a lot. The common element was just overwhelmingly just loving footy and being part of the team and the footy club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back