OldLion

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2000
Melbourne - 3078 Lions
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Over the years I've had an ongoing email battle with Mr. Bolt. My basic premise is that he's a knee jerk right wing populist and you can predict what he will say about every issue. I could write his column. His knowledge of history is selective and shallow, and he's constantly lifting views from the US web sites that front the right wing think tanks. These sites are on a roll - it's their time and they get massive funding ( these guys are mainstream ) -and give a clear picture as to the direction of US policy - and of course they are attempting to rewrite history in the process. They are very clear that this coming war is a clash of civilisations and are keen to get stuck in to Saudi Arabia. They also to a man loathe the UN ( and Nelson Mandela ) and despise multilateral efforts as weak. They consider Afghanistan done and dusted but don't quite get Blair - too confusing. They assume a short war with possibly no casulties and a Hollywood ending with freedom for all. They desperately want war - if only we'd gone into China in 49. This is totally echoed by Bolt, esp. the fear of Muslims and their wierd ways. And smart women seem to annoy them.

I did score a success over Bolt with Reith - not that hard really - and have compared him with P.J O'Rourke. The major difference is that Andrew just cannot be funny - he's on the make and hopefully he'll become a refugee, or black, or poor or a victim of war. He's got no life experience and no imagination. He's ambitious and rather dull. He hates that.

bulldogs1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2001
Shoppers Crossing
Other Teams
Dogs
I'll give the man credit, here, in that he responds to e-mails. I got a short, sharp one-liner response from him indicating that he's at least trying to develop a sense of humour, but more along the lines of sarcasm.

Yes, you're right, and it would seem that he may be applying for a job on Howard's staff as an advisor, so closely aligned are their views. "Knee-jerk populist" is how I would describe our PM, too, with one eye always on the polls and the other looking at the horizon for the arrival of the yellow-peril.
Originally posted by OldLion
Over the years I've had an ongoing email battle with Mr. Bolt. My basic premise is that he's a knee jerk right wing populist and you can predict what he will say about every issue. I could write his column. His knowledge of history is selective and shallow, and he's constantly lifting views from the US web sites that front the right wing think tanks. These sites are on a roll - it's their time and they get massive funding ( these guys are mainstream ) -and give a clear picture as to the direction of US policy - and of course they are attempting to rewrite history in the process. They are very clear that this coming war is a clash of civilisations and are keen to get stuck in to Saudi Arabia. They also to a man loathe the UN ( and Nelson Mandela ) and despise multilateral efforts as weak. They consider Afghanistan done and dusted but don't quite get Blair - too confusing. They assume a short war with possibly no casulties and a Hollywood ending with freedom for all. They desperately want war - if only we'd gone into China in 49. This is totally echoed by Bolt, esp. the fear of Muslims and their wierd ways. And smart women seem to annoy them.

I did score a success over Bolt with Reith - not that hard really - and have compared him with P.J O'Rourke. The major difference is that Andrew just cannot be funny - he's on the make and hopefully he'll become a refugee, or black, or poor or a victim of war. He's got no life experience and no imagination. He's ambitious and rather dull. He hates that.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
I think even talking about tools like Andrew Bolt is giving them undue credibility, and feeding the flames of pathetic self-importance and self-righteousness that he imposes on the newspaper-reading populace. Even me writing this is probably falling into the same trap.

But then again, he has a market. Whether it be old Jack Townsend who lives next door and still reckons all Japs should be strung up, or the bloke on the bar stool down at the local pub that genuinely thinks Greenies exist purely to make his own life difficult, there's people out there who listen to Bolt. They buy his paper. They read his column. They buy the products advertised in his newspaper. They quote his misguided words in over-table arguments at dinner parties. And they vote.

Personally, I can't stand the guy. But it's all part of the fabric that I love about our culture. That we can co-exist in complete disagreement without at least one of us being dragged away to be shot.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
One thing gets me about right-wing jocks. The talk about all sorts of things but one favourite is the lazy dole bludgers.

When are most of these progams on ? During working hours. It's not working people ringing in. Who are they ? shouldn't they be 'out looking for work" ?

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
hehehe... we're a rambunctious lot aren't we... not quite the lefty swinging dudes who rampage down the streets of Melbourne..
got nothing against the Bolter but he does give you the feeling of trying too hard to move a bunch of people who are not quite
interested in moving too much...

gives us all scope to rant and rave along with him when he pops his head up...

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
It'd be a tough choice for Bolt, but I would say in this case he would support a Labour Prime Minister.

Mind, Blair is about as much as a Leftie as Maggie Thatcher.
Its 2021 folks and Bolt doesn't fail to give a kick in the head to any side of politics I've found, having watched him for two or three years now, giving the frauds like Paul Barry a smack and generally the ABC who are not the peoples at all anymore .

But tell me this if Murdoch is so powerful and his news outlets so massive and can make or break kings and Prime Ministers and Presidents as our left hand press tell us all the time how terrible Murdoch is, then how come that news giant could save Don Trump, from what looked like a fraudulent election with vote dumping and dead people voting, so I think those who attack Murdoch , don't ever watch it, I found Bolt saying things I agreed withj, And now Alan Jones on Sky News, well I don't give a stuff about those who dislike him, he has more guts and courage than just about any commentator I have ever listened to.
He is not afraid to throw a punch conversationally I mean. I think that lots of people who rubbish really badly all the time and come out with misinformation, which that bast**d Barry does, most don't even watch listen or read what the terrible Mudoch 's say
Right now the ABC is such a mess and confused , and so left winged, you have to be blind not to see it, they in fact make Murdoch Sky channel look tame.

Now as I said it's 2021 the world is still here since 2003, but a much more bullsh**ed planet than back then, all those years I've watched my beloved Hawks win 4 grand finals and lose one , that's 5 gf's countless finals appearances, and some nasty angry person has ripped Collingwood apart but I hope the individual is now well compensted , and feels accomadated , as I heard someone say, after the President GOT SMASHED AND LEFT. A good man lost over misinterpretation?
So I'd say that Sky news and Bolt and Jones are worth a look boys and girls.
I know some of you will hate them but those that do, you never watch them anyway. So most probably don't even know and being good lefty head kickers, with no comment, you can never be wrong, so why bother.
When I watch the ABC, I FIND MYSELF WONDERING IF, WHAT THEY SAY IS SPIN OR JUST PURE BULLDUST? But I do have a look, not as much,
But you have to keep up with what the dills are on about, over blown "we are nice aren't we" types.

So for what I thought might be rubbish on Sky, turned out to be more straight and honest than what I used to rely on the ABC for! true.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
Its 2021 folks and Bolt doesn't fail to give a kick in the head to any side of politics I've found, having watched him for two or three years now, giving the frauds like Paul Barry a smack and generally the ABC who are not the peoples at all anymore .

But tell me this if Murdoch is so powerful and his news outlets so massive and can make or break kings and Prime Ministers and Presidents as our left hand press tell us all the time how terrible Murdoch is, then how come that news giant could save Don Trump, from what looked like a fraudulent election with vote dumping and dead people voting, so I think those who attack Murdoch , don't ever watch it, I found Bolt saying things I agreed withj, And now Alan Jones on Sky News, well I don't give a stuff about those who dislike him, he has more guts and courage than just about any commentator I have ever listened to.
He is not afraid to throw a punch conversationally I mean. I think that lots of people who rubbish really badly all the time and come out with misinformation, which that bast**d Barry does, most don't even watch listen or read what the terrible Mudoch 's say
Right now the ABC is such a mess and confused , and so left winged, you have to be blind not to see it, they in fact make Murdoch Sky channel look tame.

Now as I said it's 2021 the world is still here since 2003, but a much more bullsh**ed planet than back then, all those years I've watched my beloved Hawks win 4 grand finals and lose one , that's 5 gf's countless finals appearances, and some nasty angry person has ripped Collingwood apart but I hope the individual is now well compensted , and feels accomadated , as I heard someone say, after the President GOT SMASHED AND LEFT. A good man lost over misinterpretation?
I know some of you will hate them but those that do, you never watch them anyway. So most probably don't even know and being good lefty head kickers, with no comment, you can never be wrong, so why bother.
When I watch the ABC, I FIND MYSELF WONDERING IF, WHAT THEY SAY IS SPIN OR JUST PURE BULLDUST? But I do have a look, not as much,
But you have to keep up with what the dills are on about, over blown "we are nice aren't we" types.

So for what I thought might be rubbish on Sky, turned out to be more straight and honest than what I used to rely on the ABC for! true.
You play the character so well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Can you elaborate?

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
If Alan ever has the 'guts and courage' to be 'straight' 🤭 and 'honest' about who he really is to his majority gay hating audience, only then might I take the currently deceptive and vile little man seriously.
Yeah but "on the rocks" that has nothing to do with what he says and how he presents, only a fool can't see that he is very very competent at putting forward his opinions his words he is hard he will say anything to anyone he does his research which is more than you can say for bloody Plibersek!!, he calls a spade a spade, what the hell does his sexual orientation have to do with it, is that your politics?? What?
Yes he is conservative and maybe there are some "gay haters" as you put it, but really the dislike and bias, s**t it baffles me, you don't have to agree with everything, but you do have to listen and hear what's said whether its Alan Jones Leigh Sales, or bleeding Albo and Morrison, you can't dismiss anything because you don't like someone, that's identity politics!!!!! Yeeees?
I find jones speaks straight up, and I find that I certainly DON'T AGREE WITH EVERYTHING HE OR BOLT OR HAMISH Q&A man, or the PM or silly Albo, although Albo has got to go and let a new face in, they''ll never win an election with him.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
If Alan ever has the 'guts and courage' to be 'straight' 🤭 and 'honest' about who he really is to his majority gay hating audience, only then might I take the currently deceptive and vile little man seriously.
Oh on the Rocks forgot, Paul Barry, a real tosser. Is he a man of the left or the right, he's a left wing nut case thats for sure. Only the middle central survives to please the majority, Barry is incapable , he's a locked on poor bastard!

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh on the Rocks forgot, Paul Barry, a real tosser. Is he a man of the left or the right, he's a left wing nut case thats for sure. Only the middle central survives to please the majority, Barry is incapable , he's a locked on poor bastard!

Really?:

“I believe in the free market.....I believe actually in privatisation, I believe in an awful lot of things that would make me a free-marketeer and, you know, a Liberal." In 2014, Barry told Media Watch he had voted for Liberal Malcolm Turnbull as his local MP in the 2013 Election.

Cue the “but Turnbull is actually a leftist” comments......

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Really?:

“I believe in the free market.....I believe actually in privatisation, I believe in an awful lot of things that would make me a free-marketeer and, you know, a Liberal." In 2014, Barry told Media Watch he had voted for Liberal Malcolm Turnbull as his local MP in the 2013 Election.

Paul Barry 's major problem is he always seems to have so many unnamed sources, and if he isn't left wing???

Then he's a martian!

And those who call Bolt so right-wing, I think can't tell the difference between when he has the occasional conservative cannon shot, and see the fact that he does tackle all sides of debate, and yes of course he is conservative, but he's not a raving maniac as he is portrayed, and physically attacked by some people in the street, by the way, that is a media fact if there are any.

Who was that? He genuinely attemps to put each side up, but its true he pushes his point.

Unfortunately for Barry and his style, what I see in him, is a snide commentator, taking some glee in ripping up some party or body or person, sometimes incorrect, assuming for sure he is the absolute "identity politics person", on air, along with a couple of his lady colleagues, the joke singing Fran,???
What do you think they actually understand the public sees, when sometimes they are so far off the truth, by innuendo, seriously the ABC has got to become totally impartial TOTALLY and with no bias , they are our national broadcaster, with many good things they have done over decades, but they must give news and only news , not opinionated reporting that can but not always , but can distort the reality of a story.

I have been involved in Union, I followed the what was a centre mainly, and a little left party, in some areas, the old ALP.Well since observing things from that position and out now of it, seeing a whitewashed royal commission, into unions, seeing Kathy Jackson get away with things and few others from the union with bad stories against them, watching Bill unable to cost his promises in 2019, watchiong Albo continue the job killer policies of much too early reliance on renewables, what has happened to me is when I watch the ABC I can't believe a lot of what they throw out at the public and some Australians get onl;y that , only watch ABC nothing else, and that is a brainwash folks. I came from that side to no side, because bias and bulldust spoke mountains to me of hypocrisy, and climate change panic, we all know climate changes it always has, but right now renewables don't cut it, some abandoned some frozen and even the climate futrer changes could be going toward an ice age, that is about as provable as climate change in the other direction.
In fact a colder world is a much worse world for us. So maybe the great warming is a good period in the billions of years of the earths history, Greta, ever thought of that? Paul Barry, baaah!

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Really?:

Turnbull, Barry and Rudd, says it all?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back