Remove this Banner Ad

On the topic of disturbing killers, I can’t go past Dennis Rader (BTK) Very disturbed individual with an incredibly sadistic and predatory nature. Went undetected for decades, lived and worked in the local community and had a family. Appears completely ‘normal’ in a traditional sense but was responsible for callously murdering a family including two young children.

What makes him so disturbing is the ease by which he committed his crimes and hiding in plain sight. He even worked for a security company installing security systems, the very people who were looking for protection had the murderer in their homes. Was identified in 2005 I believe, only because he resurfaced of his own volition.

Incredibly creepy

I think child killers are the ones I understand the least.

From parents murdering children as some kind of payback to the other half to those who thrill kill ie Louise Bells killer. ( Dieter Pfennig currently on trial for this , already serving life after killing 12yr old Michael Black)
Westley Allan Dodd. American child killer executed back in 1993. Said that if he was released he would just ‘kill kids’. The only thing for him was to be hung.

I don’t get it either. I think if they want to die they should sign a form to be voluntarily euthanised. They give consent.

On the topic of disturbing killers, I can’t go past Dennis Rader (BTK) Very disturbed individual with an incredibly sadistic and predatory nature. Went undetected for decades, lived and worked in the local community and had a family. Appears completely ‘normal’ in a traditional sense but was responsible for callously murdering a family including two young children.

What makes him so disturbing is the ease by which he committed his crimes and hiding in plain sight. He even worked for a security company installing security systems, the very people who were looking for protection had the murderer in their homes. Was identified in 2005 I believe, only because he resurfaced of his own volition.

Incredibly creepy

He was also the local ranger as well at one point so he had access to a lot of private information. Have you seen his selfies? :eek:

Hi quick (somewhat morbid) question,

Is there a way to find a list of all the murders that have happened in a given year in a given area? I want to know about a couple of murders in the 1980s. I don't know much about them ie: the names of the victims or whatever. I know where the happened approximately. Even just going through an archive of newspapers (ie: the sun, the age) from a couple of years in the 1980s would be handy. Cheers.

I enjoy a lot of the non-fiction crime shows, especially 48 Hours. This chick is one of the biggest lying, conniving, manipulating, evil pieces of s**t I've seen on that show for a while. Unbelievable.

To sum it up: she got married young; got sick of her husband after a few years and wanted to get rid of him and collect his life insurance; lost a stack of weight; started screwing different blokes, grooming them to find one that would kill her husband (telling them he was violent, etc); finally found a sucker to go through with it; lured her husband down an isolated road where her sucker lover shot and killed him; called the police and put on a performance that was filmed on a cop's bodycam; then, a few years later, had the gall to go on the 48 Hours episode about her and lied like a delusional, unhinged whack-job

Last edited:

Is there a way to find a list of all the murders that have happened in a given year in a given area? I want to know about a couple of murders in the 1980s. I don't know much about them ie: the names of the victims or whatever. I know where the happened approximately. Even just going through an archive of newspapers (ie: the sun, the age) from a couple of years in the 1980s would be handy. Cheers.
Have you tried a search using the area +murder as a starting point?

Or alternatively post the area here and timeline, someone may have some info or ideas to help

Can you provide more details? Where about specifically?

Have you tried a search using the area +murder as a starting point?
Can you provide more details? Where about specifically?
Yeah I've tried googling. Not much luck. It's a bit of a surprise for one of the murders which was pretty gruesome: a man killed his wife and two kids then shot himself, and this was in the papers and on the news a fair bit. The other murder (which may or may not have been solved by now) was presumed at the time to be a robbery gone wrong.

Don't really want to say any more than that sorry. I've tried googling the suburb, main streets, etc. but not a lot of help. If I wasn't in lockdown I suppose I could go through the newspapers at the library and find it out that way...

Is Thomas Hentschel still in prison? He was up for parole from 2014 but as a protected witness I can't find any information about him, but as a convicted murderer yoou'd think they'd have to tell somebody if he was released?

a man killed his wife and two kids then shot himself

Sounds like something which would of happened 10 times a year particularly before Port Arthur, and with no mystery to solve to figure out who did it there'd be little reason for it to be covered in contemporary media, given it predates internet that'd explain why it's hard to find information.

Sounds like something which would of happened 10 times a year particularly before Port Arthur, and with no mystery to solve to figure out who did it there'd be little reason for it to be covered in contemporary media, given it predates internet that'd explain why it's hard to find information.
Yup.

I found a mention of this one in a Canberra newspaper as part of an article on the number of murders in Victoria that weekend (5).
I found the next day's Age newspaper, and it wasn't even mentioned. Had a fair bit of coverage in the Sun over a few days from what I recall but I don't have access to a newspaper archive. Very different to how things are reported now. The Age was a very different paper entirely (also bizarre how much press John Howard was getting before he was even PM).

The other crime I'd love to know more about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL at Ch 7 dusting off these ancient murder docos, adding about 50 seconds of "new" stuff, then not calling it a repeat.
I got sucked right into watching the Donald Mackay one last week, even though most of it was old interviews.

LOL at Ch 7 dusting off these ancient murder docos, adding about 50 seconds of "new" stuff, then not calling it a repeat.
I got sucked right into watching the Donald Mackay one last week, even though most of it was old interviews.

What's different about them? Do they still have Steve Lieberman or that guy from from the 'Most Infamous' series? Are they in better than 576p quality? Have they replaced the 9 news archival news footage with 7 archival footage?

Now if only I could figure out how I managed to download the 'Most Infamous' ones from 7Plus...

A man holding a knife has been shot by police in a Lilydale shopping centre carpark. This eyewitness was talking to Neil Mitchell at the time.

If they're female or child victims try The Red Heart Campaign Map. It maps out every female & child that has been lost to violence through murder, manslaughter or neglect.

If they're female or child victims try The Red Heart Campaign Map. It maps out every female & child that has been lost to violence through murder, manslaughter or neglect.
Thank you for this. It's a super interesting project. Heartbreaking stuff.

A teacher in Paris showed Mohammed cartoons, after warning and approving anybody who wanted to leave the class beforehand. Had his head cut off in the street later.

The beheader posted it on social media and was later shot by police.

A teacher has been beheaded in a north-western suburb of Paris, with the attacker shot dead by police.

A teacher in Paris showed Mohammed cartoons, after warning and approving anybody who wanted to leave the class beforehand. Had his head cut off in the street later.

The beheader posted it on social media and was later shot by police.

The killer was only 18 years old. Some of his family have been arrested.

The teenager who beheaded a teacher outside a school in Paris had approached pupils in the street and asked them to point out his victim, anti-terrorism prosecutor Jean-Francois Ricard says.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back