General CROWS talk ~ topical tidbits ...the thread for when you can't find a thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

97 GF on telly at the moment. It's strange watching it and knowing a lot of these guys that took us to greatness are now systematically propelling us away from it.
Roo didn't play this game ;)

Amazing how many Crows fans in the crowd for the '97 GF. In contrast 2017 looked more like 15/85 split towards Richmond.

To win it without our two AA players from that year, plus our previous year's B&F was a hell of an achievement.

(in fairness they were missing Spida Everitt)

Galluci has a full sleeve tatt, but he does not play like a guy with a sleeve Tatt.

I hope his kick up the butt in pre season has given him the drive to be a tough, go get em type.

We all know he has beautiful skills, he just doesn't get enough of the ball (that can be due to his position) he is very quickly becoming our new Mackay.

Murphy is getting a game purely off the back of his work ethic, which is a credit to him. Wish some of our other players had the heart and drive he does.

Galluci has a full sleeve tatt, but he does not play like a guy with a sleeve Tatt.

I hope his kick up the butt in pre season has given him the drive to be a tough, go get em type.

We all know he has beautiful skills, he just doesn't get enough of the ball (that can be due to his position) he is very quickly becoming our new Mackay.

Murphy is getting a game purely off the back of his work ethic, which is a credit to him. Wish some of our other players had the heart and drive he does.
Lots of people have sleeve tatts, they aren't for tough guys anymore.

To win it without our two AA players from that year, plus our previous year's B&F was a hell of an achievement.

(in fairness they were missing Spida Everitt)
And 2 players injured in the first 10 minutes.

Mackay is a poor comparison. Mackay may lack in the skills and decision making departments, but he at least has a crack.

Gooch has the athleticism and the skills, but doesn't want it enough. He's more like Jericho. Happy to just cruise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea that anyone that has a tattoo is tough died years ago. Now it just means you once worked at JB HiFi.
How true. It was the only prerequisite needed to be employed there. Well, that and a ******* huge piercing sticking out of your eye or somewhere equally impressively painful.

I’m too old for that fortunately, otherwise I fear I’d go overboard and end up looking like Edward scissor hands.

Amazing how many Crows fans in the crowd for the '97 GF. In contrast 2017 looked more like 15/85 split towards Richmond.
Mate once the Richmond fans started getting up and about which was pretty early due to our shitting of the bed.. it was like a wave of noise that even if it was 50/50 we still wouldn't have been heard.

Mackay is a poor comparison. Mackay may lack in the skills and decision making departments, but he at least has a crack.

Gooch has the athleticism and the skills, but doesn't want it enough. He's more like Jericho. Happy to just cruise.

Imagine Mackay in the 97/98 team. How out of place would he look.

We were a really, really good club back then. Who would have guessed the club would turn so bad.

Clay Sampson, Aaron Keating and Chad Rintoul are premiership players.

We had a very very good team both those years but let's not for a second think there weren't at least half a dozen plodders.
All would have been 200+ game players in Mackay's Crows. (joking)

Our starting wingmen in 1998 had 6 touches in the Grand Final. Between them.

Makays 15 possession grand final game is above average when compared to other afc wingman. I was wrong. Mackay would have been an elite player in the 1997/1998 premiership teams.

Edit: Actually when you look at his stats in finals he hasn't been the AFC's worst finals player.

2008 - EF - 13 possessions
2009 - EF - 19 possessions
2009 - SF - 30 possessions
2012 - QF - 24 possessions
2012 - SF - 16 possessions
2012 - PF - 19 possessions
2015 - EF - 6 possessions
2015 - SF - 9 possessions
2016 - EF - 22 possessions
2016 - SF - 19 possessions
2017 - QF - 19 possessions
2017 - PF - 18 possessions
2017 - GF - 15 possessions

Average 17.6 possessions.

If his job was to run and carry, break the lines (lol) and to provide minimal physical pressure then you have to say he has done his job in finals, excluding the 2015 finals series.

Last edited:
Makays 15 possession grand final game is above average when compared to other afc wingman. I was wrong. Mackay would have been an elite player in the 1997/1998 premiership teams.

Edit: Actually when you look at his stats in finals he hasn't been the AFC's worst finals player.

2008 - EF - 13 possessions
2009 - EF - 19 possessions
2009 - SF - 30 possessions
2012 - QF - 24 possessions
2012 - SF - 16 possessions
2012 - PF - 19 possessions
2015 - EF - 6 possessions
2015 - SF - 9 possessions
2016 - EF - 22 possessions
2016 - SF - 19 possessions
2017 - QF - 19 possessions
2017 - PF - 18 possessions
2017 - GF - 15 possessions

Average 17.6 possessions.

If his job was to run and carry, break the lines (lol) and to provide minimal physical pressure then you have to say he has done his job in finals, excluding the 2015 finals series.

I miss that-one-game-in-2009 version of Mackay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back