General CROWS talk ~ topical tidbits ...the thread for when you can't find a thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL to face second concussion class action linked to over 100 former AFL players​

Over 100 former AFL players — including Adelaide great Darren Jarman — are linked to another class action that claims the players have been permanently damaged by the game.

Footy faces a second concussion class action linked to over 100 former AFL players who will claim they have been permanently damaged by the game.
Documents are expected to be filed in the Victorian Supreme Court in the coming days by top South Australian lawyer Greg Griffin.

A string of retired players suffering neurological impairment linked to head knocks have been linked to the Griffin case including Hawthorn premiership legend John Platten, Essendon premiership ruckman John Barnes, Mark of the Century high-flyer Shaun Smith and Adelaide Crows great Darren Jarman.

The widow of late Richmond hardman Shane Tuck is also expected to be a plaintiff.

Tuck took his own life in July 2020 and was later found to have been suffering from the crippling brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

Western Bulldogs premiership star Liam Picken this week launched a separate Supreme Court action against the AFL and his former club alleging negligence and a breach of duty of care over ongoing concussions symptoms.

Dual Geelong premiership player Max Rooke has been named as the lead plaintiff in another concussion class action against the AFL launched in the Supreme Court on Tuesday.

Long-time player agent and concussion campaigner Peter Jess has been a key driver behind the Griffin case.
“This class action has been a longtime in the making,” Jess said.

“Each plaintiff has undertaken both high-level scans and neurological testing confirming the structural and functional impairment to the brain from playing AFL football.

“The clinical evidence is correlated in video evidence of the concussion events.

“The evidence is compelling.

“Some of the players in the class action have already been independently assessed by the AFL’s medical panel and were found to be suffering career-ending injuries and a payout has already been made for the brain damage clinically confirmed.

“The payouts are capped at $500,000 with no reference to the true economic loss or damage caused to the players, which is manifestly inadequate.

“These issues will be resolved in the litigation.

AFL to face second concussion class action linked to over 100 former AFL players​

Over 100 former AFL players — including Adelaide great Darren Jarman — are linked to another class action that claims the players have been permanently damaged by the game.
I didn't know concussion made you obese. ;)

I'm pinching an idea from the main board.

What was your favourite non-premiership Crows season? 1993: Godra and 'the fart that cost a premiership'? The Crowbots in 2005 or 2006? 2012 when we started with low expectations and just got pipped for a grand final berth? 2017, the roller coaster ride of hope and disappointment? Dare I say it? 2015 when we overcame tragedy to make finals and win a final against the Vic media darlings away?

I think 2005 was the best non-flag year. We rose from 12th to minor premiers for the first time, and there were some stretches when we looked unbeatable, like Craig had reinvented football at least for a while. The Ultimate Showdown was the one and only Showdown in finals. We only ended up there because St Kilda beat us in the QF. There have been bigger Showdown wins (and losses). But that was a Showdown win that really mattered, and it was ours.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how they're gonna prove the AFL and clubs were negligent back in the 90's as they weren't really aware of side effects of multiple concussion.
Big hits were lauded

2.02 '' shepherd behind play'' !!!

But I agree that not much can be done now for those blokes. I think Dean Kemp still gets headaches :(

I'm not sure how they're gonna prove the AFL and clubs were negligent back in the 90's as they weren't really aware of side effects of multiple concussion.
I’ve heard the claim that doctors were started become concerned and advised the AFL of making changes that didn’t come into effect until a decade later

Just on concussions - here is a timeline of the NFL up to 2013 when they created a fund.

The AFL has been slow to react to this issue. No surprise there.

Last edited:
I reckon Blighty rubbed off on Nicks after their meeting last year a lot more than people think.

Nicks comment in the offseason about "just give me 18 hard workers and that's all I need" to "now I see how important matchwinners are" (or words to that effect) has Blight all over it.

Same with keeping people like Jones, Thilthorpe and McHenry out. That has a Blighty put a bit of a challenge in front of them, don't just coddle them.

There's a few other signs of Nicks having added new mentalities that are Blight esque, just can't recall them at the moment, bit just thought I'd share my theory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Blighty rubbed off on Nicks after their meeting last year a lot more than people think.

Nicks comment in the offseason about "just give me 18 hard workers and that's all I need" to "now I see how important matchwinners are" (or words to that effect) has Blight all over it.

Same with keeping people like Jones, Thilthorpe and McHenry out. That has a Blighty put a bit of a challenge in front of them, don't just coddle them.

There's a few other signs of Nicks having added new mentalities that are Blight esque, just can't recall them at the moment, bit just thought I'd share my theory.
nah one sucks and the other one is a legend coach, nothing at all alike

Blight would smack Nicks upside the head and ask why the players arent at Tennyson doing sandhills at 6am today

nix is nix and blight is blight, nothing similar except for the fact that they both coached the crows. Nix also knows what to say, doesn't mean he implements any of it, he's a fraud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back