General cycling news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting article, which raises the question - why was Mike Tomalaris given the arse?
Didnt he say the 2021 TDF would be his last? If so, I guess they figured iit was time for a change.

Interesting article, which raises the question - why was Mike Tomalaris given the arse?
Robbie Mac added massively to the broadcast commentary. Tomolaris did nothing but detract from the product, filling the airwaves with inanity when viewers just wanted to listen to the commentary team.

McEwan is in the best two or three expert commentators in the peleton - People underestimate how difficult it is to understand the tactical nuamces of a race, and then to deliver it clearly and concisely for the audience - I doubt there is anybody else in Australia who has Robbie's expertise - I have a question - My understanding is that Keenan and McEwan are contracted by the ASO to broadcast their races. If this is still the case then McEwan will appear on the SBS feed. I hope that SBS actually sends a crew to the TDF because the commentary is never done as well when you are in a remote location.

McEwan is in the best two or three expert commentators in the peleton - People underestimate how difficult it is to understand the tactical nuamces of a race, and then to deliver it clearly and concisely for the audience - I doubt there is anybody else in Australia who has Robbie's expertise - I have a question - My understanding is that Keenan and McEwan are contracted by the ASO to broadcast their races. If this is still the case then McEwan will appear on the SBS feed. I hope that SBS actually sends a crew to the TDF because the commentary is never done as well when you are in a remote location.
Why do you think it's done poorly when done remotely? Normally they're all just commentating from a TV screen, in a booth at the finish line. Now they're going from a booth in the SBS studios. It's not as if they get to see any of the riders, with their own eyes (as distinct from through a camera lens), at any stage during the race.

Maybe they get a bit more colour from talking to the riders in person before/after the stages, but there seems to be very little difference as far as the in-race commentary is concerned.

Why am I not surprised they punted Robbie, and kept Bridie….
What's your problem with Bridie? I think the whole Robbie/Bridie/Matt team works brilliantly together, each adding significantly to the viewer experience. I rate all 3 of them very highly... especially when we have Dave McKenzie to provide a contrast at the opposite end of the competence & listenability scales.

What's your problem with Bridie? I think the whole Robbie/Bridie/Matt team works brilliantly together, each adding significantly to the viewer experience. I rate all 3 of them very highly... especially when we have Dave McKenzie to provide a contrast at the opposite end of the competence & listenability scales.

Agree, the three work well together, although 3 in commentary is a luxury and I've thought this for the last 2 editions of the TDF. I don't have any issues with O'Donnell. She's great at the job and has great tone.

But when it came down to making a cut, a woke woman is going to make a woke decision, and not go back to the all-male duo that was already in place prior to O'Donnell's arrive in the box. They'll probably use the reasoning that she will help grow the audience more.

TBH, I've been going off SBS's coverage for a while now - particularly when they have Tom and McKenzie just crapping on in the studio while the race is already on. Will they be replacing Tom with another talking head?

The McEwen decision puts the nail in it for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, the three work well together, although 3 in commentary is a luxury and I've thought this for the last 2 editions of the TDF. I don't have any issues with O'Donnell. She's great at the job and has great tone.

But when it came down to making a cut, a woke woman is going to make a woke decision, and not go back to the all-male duo that was already in place prior to O'Donnell's arrive in the box. They'll probably use the reasoning that she will help grow the audience more.

TBH, I've been going off SBS's coverage for a while now - particularly when they have Tom and McKenzie just crapping on in the studio while the race is already on. Will they be replacing Tom with another talking head?

The McEwen decision puts the nail in it for me.
We still don't know why they cut him. Tomo was given a reason, about some comment he made, but Robbie apparently hasn't been given any reason at all. I agree that Bridie was never going to be cut, but why make any cuts at all?

Agree 100% about the Tomo/Macca in the studio rubbish. That garbage needs to be cut instantly. It's a powerful reason to watch the commentary only stream on the CyclingCentral website, instead of the SBS broadcast. Alternatively, do what I do, and watch the SBS broadcast on delay - zapping past all the ads & the Tomo/Macca in the studio garbage.

In among the many replies to Robbie's first tweet, somebody asked him this and he said no - he wouldn't be commentating with Matt Keenan even for the ASO feed of the TdF

Two things that surprise me out of that
  • that Bridie is going to do more commentating (I just assumed her day job meant she couldn't spend more time commentating until 2am)
  • that GCN got a mention (at least until I read the journalist bio at the bottom, then it made sense)

Why do you think it's done poorly when done remotely? Normally they're all just commentating from a TV screen, in a booth at the finish line. Now they're going from a booth in the SBS studios. It's not as if they get to see any of the riders, with their own eyes (as distinct from through a camera lens), at any stage during the race.

Maybe they get a bit more colour from talking to the riders in person before/after the stages, but there seems to be very little difference as far as the in-race commentary is concerned.

I generally watch the GCN/Eurosport commentary - They had no issues when they called from a studio, but when they called races from their homes, it was staggering how often one commentator could not be heard for 30+ minutes during a broadcast - You expect a higher level of professionalism from a paid service - You don't get the same vibe as a commentator unless you are at the venue, while you are denying yourself access to riders at the start and finish.

I suspect SBS will lose viewers to GCN - What happens if GCN snap up McEwan? Then SBS will lose more viewers - There is no justifiable reason to cut one of the best expert commentators in the peleton, unless there is a smoking gun - And then, I doubt that McEwan would go on a twitter rage if this was the case.

It looks like Gracie Elvin has a new role. I don't think she has been that good so far at Bay Crits and Nats to take over from Robbie. It's probably easy to draw a conclusion between her and the producer for anybody that is familiar with her life post bike racing. This is the vibe I get from some of the tweets. Don't think Bridie swings that way which is why it's pretty unfair she's been dragged into it.

Yep. I liked the stage the other night with the cross/tailwind carnage. I love it like that, because it exposes the weaker riders and makes the stage more interesting.
I have watched bits and pieces.
I have to say that I like the change to BEX this year. At least now they can be pretty easily found in packs with their new colours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back