General cycling news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the course for next year's tour is to be revealed tonight. We're likely to see cobblestones, Alpe d'Huez, and a rumour suggesting that we see an ascent of Col du Grannon for the first time since 1986.

In other news, the Alez Omi Opi deadshit has been officially charged, and will face criminal court tomorrow. She's been charged with "endangering others" and "unintentional injury". She's looking at up to $23,000 in fines and/or 1 year in prison.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/cycli...d/news-story/d1e35fe0db0bda9ae88bb5dbc7e51d43

She's also been sued by the CPA (the Cyclists union), for the princely sum of 1 euro. That's about making a symbolic statement, rather than a desire to punish her. The criminal courts will see to the punishment.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cpa-sues-opi-omi-tour-de-france-spectator-for-euro1/

Overall summary:

6 mountain stages with 5 summit finishes (La Super Planche des Belle Filles, Col du Grannon, Alpe d'Huez, Peyragoudes and Hautacam, the last two for the first time in a long time.)
6 flat stages including cobblestones on stage 5, 11 secotions, apparently 5 haven't been part of either Roubaix or Le Tour so we'll see how that goes.
7 hilly stages for the Puncheurs, probably enough to tempt the likes of van der Poel, Colbrelli etc to go le Tour over the Giro.
2 ITT's (wish they'd do 1x TTT and 1x ITT), the second of which has two decent climbs and is 40km long
4 different countries (Denmark, Belgium and Swizerland)
Also starting on a Friday to allow a transport day between Denmark and France on the Monday

So it's:

3 stages
Transport day
6 stages
Rest Day
6 stages
Rest Day
6 stages

And the 19th stage is a flat one annoyingly. Should be a mountain day. Otherwise looks like a very good course. High point is over 2600m so that's pretty good. The cobbles being part of it makes it a fascinating team selection for UAE, I think JV are better equipped to handle this sort of thing with guys like Dennis and WVA to somewhat protect Roglic. Also suspect we see Ganna ride his first tour due to this, Ineos need him to protect whoever they're going to ride for.

Last edited:

It's a classical TDF route in which the GC will probably be decided by stage 18 - For some reason the placement of weekend stages is uninspiring - Weekends should always be mountainous or semi-mountainous stages.

It seems all three Grand Tours are going to start on the Friday and have 3 rest days next year. Going to be interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dowsett had a ping at the hour record last night and came up short.
That's a shame, but at least he's raised some good money for charity (apparently about 15k pounds for haemophilia research, a cause close to his heart because he has it)
It seems like someone has a go at that every few weeks/months now?
Are you confusing Joss Lowden setting the Women's Hour Record a month ago with the men's attempts? Nobody's officially attempted the Men's record in a year. Plus, given all the work Alex and his wife have apparently had in setting up this attempt, it doesn't seem like something you could just give a go...

That's a shame, but at least he's raised some good money for charity (apparently about 15k pounds for haemophilia research, a cause close to his heart because he has it)

Are you confusing Joss Lowden setting the Women's Hour Record a month ago with the men's attempts? Nobody's officially attempted the Men's record in a year. Plus, given all the work Alex and his wife have apparently had in setting up this attempt, it doesn't seem like something you could just give a go...
Ahhh i might be, good point.

Of all the questionable cyclists, Froome is one of the more questionable for me.
I mean yes, however I'm at the point where I don't care.

Oh I don't particularly care either, I just find it funny how flimsy Froome's excuses are.

At least Vinokourov made his obvious doping entertaining to watch.
Same with Alberto.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back