General cycling news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Valverde also high marks for still racing in his 40s and pretending like there's nothing to see here.
Alejandro is the Dustin Fletcher of cycling

It's disappointing that the SA Government can have two tennis tournaments in the first two weeks of January, YET they are unable to hold the TDU in the third week of January.

It's disappointing that the SA Government can have two tennis tournaments in the first two weeks of January, YET they are unable to hold the TDU in the third week of January.
I guess they were premature with their decision to cancel it. I (and I suspect they) wasn't expecting Australia to open up, without the need for any quarantine, until at least March (possibly June) next year. I was very surprised when it happened as early as it did (November this year).

These events are planned far in advance, and it was not unreasonable for them to have made the decision they did, given the information available to them at the time.

As for the tennis events. These are much smaller than the TDU (which is on par with the Aus Open for size), and use a fixed infrastructure. I guess the organisation time is shorter, hence having a later decision date, which meant that they were able to proceed.

I guess they were premature with their decision to cancel it. I (and I suspect they) wasn't expecting Australia to open up, without the need for any quarantine, until at least March (possibly June) next year. I was very surprised when it happened as early as it did (November this year).

These events are planned far in advance, and it was not unreasonable for them to have made the decision they did, given the information available to them at the time.

As for the tennis events. These are much smaller than the TDU (which is on par with the Aus Open for size), and use a fixed infrastructure. I guess the organisation time is shorter, hence having a later decision date, which meant that they were able to proceed.

They asked the world tour teams for input and they all said no thanks, mainly because they didn't want to commit, come all this way and get stuck in snap lockdowns as it would jeopardise their preparations for the classics season.

They asked the world tour teams for input and they all said no thanks, mainly because they didn't want to commit, come all this way and get stuck in snap lockdowns as it would jeopardise their preparations for the classics season.
Which was fair enough, based on the information they had at that time. Now Australia is opening up, and there wouldn't be any problem with bringing them here. Just a pity that they had to make the decision as early as they did.

Which was fair enough, based on the information they had at that time. Now Australia is opening up, and there wouldn't be any problem with bringing them here. Just a pity that they had to make the decision as early as they did.

I believe that the decision was actually forced by the world tour teams asking for an answer that early because of the rejigged racing calendar.

I believe that the decision was actually forced by the world tour teams asking for an answer that early because of the rejigged racing calendar.
Either way, there'd be a different answer if the decision was being made today. I'm not being overly critical - the decision was made, regardless of by whom, on the best information available at that time. As with so many things relating to COVID, known information has changed rapidly.

The story is that the UCI gave Adelaide until the end of September to make a final decision - The surprising thing about the decision is that if you followed the National and State Plan then it should have been fine to run the TDU - Anyway at the end of October the SA Government backflipped and made polite enquiries to the UCI to reinstate the race BUT it was too late - The most disappointing thing about the initial decision is that it stopped the Cadel race and the Herald Sun Tour which were ready to go - In good news the Bay Crits will be on the 8th/9th January - Finally, threat of lockdowns was a minor concern, seeing that cycling has raced through lockdowns in the last 12 months.

Either way, there'd be a different answer if the decision was being made today. I'm not being overly critical - the decision was made, regardless of by whom, on the best information available at that time. As with so many things relating to COVID, known information has changed rapidly.

I doubt the decision would be different because the world tour teams plan 6-12 months in advance.
+ the vax status of the cyclists would be a huge issue. (see the latest story about Sagan).

It seems that I was right with my post from November 24 - There are discussions to run the TDU and Cadel's race before the World's - I wonder how they could fit this into the calendar, although it could be possible post-world's - I suspect many Aussies will finish their 2022 season in Oz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Bridie probably has other more important commitments than to be able to call all the races with Matt Keenan, I really hope it doesn't end up with Dave McKenzie or Rochelle Gilmore being the main "special comments" person.

If that does end up as the case I assume a significant proportion of the #couchpeleton will be signing up to a VPN and GCN

Given Bridie probably has other more important commitments than to be able to call all the races with Matt Keenan, I really hope it doesn't end up with Dave McKenzie or Rochelle Gilmore being the main "special comments" person.

If that does end up as the case I assume a significant proportion of the #couchpeleton will be signing up to a VPN and GCN
Wouldn't be surprised to see Anna Meares get in there. Dave is good for the Vuelta but I'm hoping we get someone like Cadel for the tour alongside Matt and Bridie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back