News We’re going to Dingleyland! Construction to begin.

Why should there be a succession plan when he has just been re-elected?
That is probably 18 months away so something is in place for the expiration of his term.

Or was he “re-elected” because there was no succession plan?

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Firstly, he's not on the board of Beyond Blue. And secondly, that doesn't answer my question as to how he was acting in Hawthorn's best interests by repeatedly doing something he believed would cost the club millions of dollars. I am still waiting for someone to engage with that actual question instead of throwing up hypothetical excuses or delving into politics.

We won’t know the extent until 18-24 months down the track. But yes in the present you could say he has cost us according to him. But those that make the decision don’t think he has had any impact negative or otherwise in funding.

But then the feds weren’t giving us anything and they tipped in $15m.

So you win some you lose some.

Or was he “re-elected” because there was no succession plan?
Or was he re-elected because no body else put their hand up ?
Was he re-elected because it’s a massive unpaid role that consumes a hell of a lot of your time?

You're a real class act Gralin.
Isn’t it hypocritical of some of these posters ?
You can call some people anything but not allowed to call others out. Depends on certain criteria
Jeff’s a white Australian ex-politician. Open slather.

Or was he re-elected because no body else put their hand up ?
Was he re-elected because it’s a massive unpaid role that consumes a hell of a lot of your time?

It’s Jeff’s board, wahawk.

Do you think he had no idea that attacking the government would decrease the chances of hawthorn receiving funding?

I actually don't know what he thinks.
I do think the issue at that time for us Mexicans with the restrictions placed on us Bris absolutely had to be challenged.
And he was part of the very vocal minority that spoke out.
I know this is hard to respect (for some anyway), but it was a bigger issue than footy or footy funding.
For me anyway.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I actually don't know what he thinks.
I do think the issue at that time for us Mexicans with the restrictions placed on us Bris absolutely had to be challenged.
And he was part of the very vocal minority that spoke out.
I know this is hard to respect (for some anyway), but it was a bigger issue than footy or footy funding.
For me anyway.

But Andrews was being challenged. Daily. On the front page of the countries biggest paper, daily. On every prime time show on the countries biggest 24 hour news channel, nightly. At every press conference he held, daily. By a litany of angry old conservatives on twitter, daily.

Honestly, I haven't seen an Australian polly with more people piling into him in a long time.

So what exactly was to be achieved by having Jeff jump on the pile, except more division??

How would anything have changed in Victoria if Jeff had kept silent on the topic?

Last edited:
Isn’t it hypocritical of some of these posters ?
You can call some people anything but not allowed to call others out. Depends on certain criteria
Jeff’s a white Australian ex-politician. Open slather.
I mean I'm getting called out for my views by those who don't agree with me so I don't really see what the difference here is.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great, then there's every chance we end up with someone like this:

CEO is appointed by the board and not elected. Jeff has been good for us in his first stint and getting reeves in during our second stint. He only wanted one term to transition the club to a new president. I’m supportive of all of that.

But the current board went to him cap in hand after its own failures and haven’t kept him accountable to the expectations of a hawthorn football club president. His legacy and the way they brought him back are an issue hence why we might be better off opening the position through an election. An open position would allow someone new and not wholly aligned with Jeff to be elected should they be the best candidate.

A digest from "Facilities" Page 8 of HFC Financial Report 2020.

- KCC put on hold as club assessed impact of Covid. Active fundraising put on hold March 2020.

- Planning Application endorsed by Kingston CC Planning Committee 19 August, forwarded to Planning Minister for approval. Planning basically complete and project is "shovel ready".

- Sunject to government funding the initial focus is to build an AFLW home ground and Community Pavillion.

- "Club identified that it required additional time to re-imagine the scope and desire of the Harris Elite Training and Administration Facility, whilst continuing to fund-raise."

All actions seemed reasonable but the communication from the club is poor.

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A digest from "Facilities" Page 8 of HFC Financial Report 2020.

- KCC put on hold as club assessed impact of Covid. Active fundraising put on hold March 2020.

- Planning Application endorsed by Kingston CC Planning Committee 19 August, forwarded to Planning Minister for approval. Planning basically complete and project is "shovel ready".

- Sunject to government funding the initial focus is to build an AFLW home ground and Community Pavillion.

- "Club identified that it required additional time to re-imagine the scope and desire of the Harris Elite Training and Administration Facility, whilst continuing to fund-raise."

All actions seemed reasonable but the communication from the club is poor.
A lot of this information was in the latest Hawk Talk magazine

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
The recent presser was interesting, Michael McCormack is my local member and being a small town I've had a few chats with him over the years. He's got a soft spot for Hawthorn and was genuinely chuffed to be involved.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
CEO is appointed by the board and not elected. Jeff has been good for us in his first stint and getting reeves in during our second stint. He only wanted one term to transition the club to a new president. I’m supportive of all of that.

But the current board went to him cap in hand after its own failures and haven’t kept him accountable to the expectations of a hawthorn football club president. His legacy and the way they brought him back are an issue hence why we might be better off opening the position through an election. An open position would allow someone new and not wholly aligned with Jeff to be elected should they be the best candidate.

100 per cent.

The president who employed the CEO was appointed to the board by Kennett (but never subject to a member vote)

Does anyone remember Garvey? Was basically the Humphrey Bear of the AFL

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I mean I'm getting called out for my views by those who don't agree with me so I don't really see what the difference here is.
Has anyone called you a s**t campaigner ?

But my point was more that it’s seems ok for some posters to call certain people s**t campaigners but then call others out for it, depending on who’s being called that.
Posters called Goodes that in his dedicated thread but were straight away labelled as racists.

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has anyone called you a sh*t campaigner ?

But my point was more that it’s seems ok for some posters to call certain people sh*t campaigners but then call others out for it, depending on who’s being called that.
Posters called Goodes that in his dedicated thread but were straight away labelled as racists.
That's because the Goodes situation had racial undertones. It doesn't mean that everyone who had an opinion on Goodes was racist, but it's a completely different situation to this one, and I think you're smart enough to know that.

That's because the Goodes situation had racial undertones. It doesn't mean that everyone who had an opinion on Goodes was racist, but it's a completely different situation to this one, and I think you're smart enough to know that.
The Goodes situation only had racial undertones to those who wanted it too.

& that is my point.
Call certain people a s**t campaigner & you are racist or sexist, but call a white male ex politician that & it’s fine.
Double standards/hypocritical

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Goodes situation only had racial undertones to those who wanted it too.

& that is my point.
Call certain people a sh*t campaigner & you are racist or sexist, but call a white male ex politician that & it’s fine.
Double standards/hypocritical
Can’t really compare the situation. Kennett isn’t called a campaigner because he is white, male or an ex pollie. He is being called out for what he has done his actions. Which is what should happen.

This whole Goodes thing started because while playing a game of football Goodes called out racism that was directed towards him. That’s why it started and him being aboriginal caused a lot of people pile on with booing. Racism played a huge part in it.

Barry hall king hit a bloke and was strangling others. He wasn’t booed out of the game.

S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Buried in Balquhidder
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

If that's the case then isn't the board itself just as big an issue, if not bigger?

No doubt he's sticking around because of a combination of waiting to find the right successor and also wanting to help the club through the aftermath of COVID-19 as well.

Is he perfect? No he's not, but there's plenty worse getting around.

Take a look at Collingwood or Port Adelaide for example and count your blessings 😁

Back