News We’re going to Dingleyland! Construction to begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Or questioning which (news) service is worse than the other

I say (news) cause I think they’ve all become gossip rather than news

Based on Twitter the last 6-12 months - I figure if the unhinged campaigners on both the left and right hate something it probably means it’s a balanced and moderate viewpoint. Basically this only really leaves the ABC.

Based on Twitter the last 6-12 months - I figure if the unhinged campaigners on both the left and right hate something it probably means it’s a balanced and moderate viewpoint. Basically this only really leaves the ABC.
See unhinged left.

Really only left with repeats of The Simpsons & Seinfeld & Threepeat DVD sets as worthy of watching on TV.

You may not get the gossip dressed up as news on the ABC, but you get a biased opinion

You may not get the gossip dressed up as news on the ABC, but you get a biased opinion

Me and many independent studies disagree. Also the unhinged Labor Twitter mob also think it’s pro-Tory so something tells me it’s struck a fine balance. There’s more IPA members giving opinions on ABC news stories and programs than anywhere else on the media.

I'm locking this thread...because fuck all of you and all your politics s**t on the football board.

It will reopen when whichever of the following occur first...

a) I come back from my evening jog
b) Strapping Young Lad sees it, and admonishes me for locking it and bypassing the swear filter

Last edited:
Thread is open again.

No politics. Period.

Comments on Kennett's performance as Hawthorn president can go in the Kennett thread.

Comments on Kennett's performance as Victoria premier can go to Lethal's Lounge.

Comments on other posters' political views can go to hell

Updates on Dingley progress only.

Thread is open again.

No politics. Period.

Comments on Kennett's performance as hawthorn president to go in the Kennett thread.

Comments on Kennett's performance as Victoria premier, to go to Lethal's Lounge.

Comments on Dictator Dan, 'the left' "Kennett lovers' or "kennett haters" can go to hell.

Updates on Dingley progress only.

Authorised by eldorado for the Make Dingley Great Again Party - Tootal Road, Dingley.

Thanks Eldorado for unlocking the thread.

I came here to post some info because it looks like our research team has called someone again.

So I have a minor update that I got notified of yesterday. Its obviously nothing surprising based upon what we already know about the delays to the project.

- Commence Date has changed from 20 Mar 2021 to 10 Sep 2021
- Completion Date has changed from 19 Dec 2022 to 16 Jun 2023

As always this information comes with its standard disclaimer that its *subject to change at any time*

Liked that Reeves effectively said that those type of pre-season matches would be held at Dingley in future.....as the mini stadium would have a 5,000 capacity
Assuming some AFLW/VFLW matches too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I came here to post some info because it looks like our research team has called someone again.

So I have a minor update that I got notified of yesterday. Its obviously nothing surprising based upon what we already know about the delays to the project.

As always this information comes with its standard disclaimer that its *subject to change at any time*

Fantastic news if that all goes to plan.

Cheers for that Rimsy.
Fingers crossed that any delays are behind up now hopefully & the project can proceed with little impediment.

Liked that Reeves effectively said that those type of pre-season matches would be held at Dingley in future.....as the mini stadium would have a 5,000 capacity
Obvs the cost would've been extensive, but did we ever consider a boutique 15k-30k stadium as part of the Dingley plans? Would've been the perfect substitute for Tassie games eventually ceasing, a home ground for an AFLW team, an MCG alternative for low drawing teams and we could've owned it.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Obvs the cost would've been extensive, but did we ever consider a boutique 15k-30k stadium as part of the Dingley plans? Would've been the perfect substitute for Tassie games eventually ceasing, a home ground for an AFLW team, an MCG alternative for low drawing teams and we could've owned it.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Would just make an already expensive project even more expensive

However, its not out of the question long term. Just because its not built in stage 1, doesn't mean it can't be an option in 10, 20 years

Would just make an already expensive project even more expensive

However, its not out of the question long term. Just because its not built in stage 1, doesn't mean it can't be an option in 10, 20 years
Thats why the amount of land we purchased is so key, there's no doubt in my mind we will build a stadium once we've paid the current project off in full.

A boutique stadium would cost $200-250M at a minimum. I don’t see us rushing into such a product after the cost of Dingley - particularly when any members not in the south east would find it bloody difficult to get to when the public transport out to Dingley is crap.

A boutique stadium would cost $200-250M at a minimum. I don’t see us rushing into such a product after the cost of Dingley - particularly when any members not in the south east would find it bloody difficult to get to when the public transport out to Dingley is crap.
Thats a lack of foresight, 20 years time you still expect the transport to be terrible?

Thats a lack of foresight, 20 years time you still expect the transport to be terrible?

Yes. Public transport infrastructure in this country is as slow as a glacier of treacle.

Playing home games at Dingley is a pretty bad idea for a few reasons...

• It's a very long way from the north-east, east, north-west and west of the city (approx 70% of the Melbourne population)
  • It is poorly serviced by public transport
  • Even if the Victorian government agreed to fund the stadium (they wont) we would still need to make a contribution - which would effectively negate the benefit from playing games there anyway
  • If you look at our home game attendance, it's a myth that Waverley Park was a Hawthorn 'heartland' - in fact our home games at Docklands (albeit a sample size of 13 games only) is better than our crowds at Waverley (and our gates at the MCG are substantially better again)
  • We need to play more games in close proximity to the Melbourne metro if we have any hope of growing the football club to compete with the Pies, Tigers and Dons
MCG - 43,447 (2000 - 2019)
Docklands - 32,750 (2000 - 2019
Waverley Park - 28,844 (1992-1999)
Princes Park - 16,207 (1973-1991)
Glenferrie Oval - 13,094 (1925 - 1972)

Under the terms of the 2010 MCC-AFL stadium agreement, MCG tenants now get a $100,000 cheque for every game played at the MCG - and the AFL has struck a similar deal with MSL before they acquired the stadium

So why do we need to play games in new markets anyway?

Yes. Public transport infrastructure in this country is as slow as a glacier of treacle.

Absolutely Nedward. If there's no train line servicing Dingleberry today, there won't be in 20 years either. How long did it take them to extend the Epping line the extra 500 feet to Craigieburn? And still no rail link to Doncaster despite how many years that's been lobbied for.

All you'd get in 20 years time is more/different bus routes. And busses empirically suck for crowds, as everybody knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back