Resource General Footy History thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Last couple of months I've seen stuff in the General AFL thread that is footy history related, rather than AFL specific and thought that's interesting, but it will probably get lost in here. A few weeks ago when I posted the 2017 video, which was part of a series celebrating 40 years of State of Origin by The West Australian, re Glen Jakovich being picked as a 17 year old to play in a State of Origin game in 1990 vs Victoria, I wasn't sure if it was the right thread.

So to get around that, this thread is for old videos, photos, articles etc for footy history that goes beyond the VFL/AFL and even Port Adelaide FC, where the Lets Talk Port threads are used for some of Port's history.

First bit of resource is John Devaney's great old site Full Points Footy, which was set up to look at more than just V/AFL footy, which it appears all the articles on that website have been archived as all the links still work. Here is the link archiving the site in August 2011 around the time it was purchased by the owner of the Australian Football dot com site who transfered a lot of the article to his site but not the majority of the articles and information and data.

Lots of history stuff at that newer site as well as it too looks at footy stuff from all round Australia not just V/AFL. The articles from old newspapers uner Treasure Trove heading using Trove are always a good read as well as some of the obituries.

Whilst I was looking for the right web archive page for Full Points Footy ie one John last posted in, I found this ladder and went to the original post in Kevin Taylor's great old site Footy Stats Diary. Below is a link to the last time he updated it in May 2015 whilst he was very ill, before he passed away a couple of years later. Kevin was part of the AFL statistician group Col Hutchinson set up 30+ years ago.

Most of the links still work and on the right hand side a couple of screens down he has links by year, going back by each year to 1992 where he used to archive his and media articles and stats by each week of a month in the offseason and by rounds of each season.

Want to know how many games player X got from the tribunal in 2008, click on 2008, click on the round it happened or you think it happened, and there will be the summary from the MRP/Tribunal ruling as well as any major media articles about it.

Footy Stats Diary

tribey has referred to the ladder many times re Port sitting on top without the specifics and I have said to myself many times I have to produce a full ladder. I forgot Kevin used to produce this Big Ladder and different variations, a few times a year as well as each seasons big ladder.

Just further emphasis to how big a fall out happened, by getting smashed the way we did in that 2007 GF, the looming GFC, the poor Footy Park stadium deal that meant we didn't bank $$$ in the good years that put us into a near vicious death spiral when things went poorly post 2007 GF for 5 years. It's also why the little suburban club from Alberton BS, Koch used to regularly spit out, was so grating.

1637563359741.png

Last edited:
Last couple of months I've seen stuff in the General AFL thread that is footy history related, rather than AFL specific and thought that's interesting, but it will probably get lost in here. A few weeks ago when I posted the 2017 video, which was part of a series celebrating 40 years of State of Origin by The West Australian, re Glen Jakovich being picked as a 17 year old to play in a State of Origin game in 1990 vs Victoria, I wasn't sure if it was the right thread.

So to get around that, this thread is for old videos, photos, articles etc for footy history that goes beyond the VFL/AFL and even Port Adelaide FC, where the Lets Talk Port threads are used for some of Port's history.

First bit of resource is John Devaney's great old site Full Points Footy which it appears all the articles on that website have been archived as all the links still work. Here is the link archiving the site in August 2011 around the time it was purchased by the owner of the Australian Football dot com site who transfered a lot of the article to his site but not the majority of the articles and information and data.

Lots of history stuff at that newer site as well. The articles from old newspapers uner Treasure Trove heading using Trove are always a good read as well as some of the obituries.

Whilst I was looking for the right web archive page for Full Points Footy ie one John last posted in, I found this ladder and went to the original post in Kevin Taylor's great old site Footy Stats Diary. Below is a link to the last time he updated it in May 2015 whilst he was very ill, before he passed away a couple of years later. Kevin was part of the AFL statistician group Col Hutchinson set up 30+ years ago.

Most of the links still work and on the right hand side a couple of screens down he has links by year, going back by each year to 1992 where he used to archive his and media articles and stats by each week of a month in the offseason and by rounds of each season.

Want to know how many games player X got from the tribunal in 2008, click on 2008, click on the round it happened or you think it happened, and there will be the summary from the MRP/Tribunal ruling as well as any major media articles about it.

Footy Stats Diary

tribey has referred to the ladder many times re Port sitting on top without the specifics and I have said to myself many times I have to produce a full ladder. I forgot Kevin used to produce this Big Ladder and different variations, a few times a year as well as each seasons big ladder.

Just further emphasis to how big a fall out happen by getting smashed the way we did in that 2007 GF, the looming GFC, the poor Footy Park stadium deal that meant we didn't bank $$$ in the good years that put us into a near vicious death spiral when things went poorly post 2007 GF for 5 years. It's also why the little suburban club from Alberton Koch used to regularly spit out, was so grating.

View attachment 1285283

Haha. here was my ‘back of the napkin’ addition, looks right give or take:

EBFB233F-54F1-4616-98A6-9F3216D07CE9.jpeg

First video in here has to be the oldest video of a game of Australian Football the National Film and Sound Archives possesses.

The 1909 VFL GF won by South Melbourne 4.14 v Carlton 4.12.

A colourized version of 80 seconds of above footage by Youtube account Gezza 1967 who has about 3,500 short videos of footy, other sports, life in Melbourne, politics, news and current affairs, TV programs etc going back to the 1920's.

Last edited:

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
First video in here has to be the oldest video of a game of Australian Football the National Film and Sound Archives possesses.

The 1909 VFL GF won by South Melbourne 4.14 v Carlton 4.12.

A colourized version of 80 seconds of above footage by Youtube account Gezza 1967 who has about 3,500 short videos of footy, other sports, life in Melbourne, politics, news and current affairs, TV programs etc going back to the 1920's.

Place kick, mismatched team uniforms and strange overhead volleyball-spike-like handballs - terrific stuff!

In the run up to the AFL's Centenary Season, the National Film and Sound Archives (NFSA) put out the first of these 2 videos of footage from the VFL covering 1909-1945 in Part I and 1946-1982 in part II, the first year South Melbourne moved up to Sydney to play home games at the SCG.

Ch 7 and the AFL used a lot of this stuff and dubbed over it as part of their AFL centenary programs/videos in 1996. It's why Sandy Robert's is doing the voice over on the short colourized clip of the 1909 VFL GF.

All of this pre 1957 footage ( and a lot post 1956) come from private footage or from the old newsreels, and post 1929 were from Cinetone or Movietone News. Don't know who/what they were? They were competing news companies and the only way you got to see footage of major news stories was to go to cinemas and watch it before a movie. By 1970 there was no need for them. The 1963 SANFL GF and a couple of other things in This is Port Adelaide doco come from these old newsreels. More details at this NFSA page.

At about 3 minute mark of Part I they explain why the same team had different guernseys - the players had to pay for their own gear, so they had different gear.

Part II has Craig Willis from Ch7 doing the narration and copyright date is 1997. Gezza1967 called both videos Part I.

Butters and Pepper

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Quite surprising how good the standard of football is in this footage, given that I've watched footage from pre mid 70s where the skills tended to be generally fairly poor with a lot of "kick to kick"

Ken Farmer must be up there as the most under-rated footballer in history (outside of SA that is).

Quite disappointing that the main SANFL archive channel on Youtube has been archived.
I think SANFL imposed their rights and have caused it to be shut down for now whilst the legalities are being sorted out.

The old website with links to games has been shut down,
https://safootballvideoarchive.webs.com/

but their facebook group page is still alive with lots of short clips and this message from the owner was posted 4 weeks ago.

Don Reed
October on 26 at 11:51 ·

For various reasons this group is paused and the SA Football Video Archive YouTube channel has been discontinued.
Thanks for all the support, see you in the outer one day soon...

In 1953, Norwood and North played the only match outside SA (counted for premiership points) when the teams clashed at the SCG.

Norwood2.37.109.1215.15105Sat 13-Jun-1953 2:10 pmS.C.G.
North Adelaide3.26.413.1019.15129North Adelaide won by 24 points

The link below is to a PDF of the Souvenir Record for the 13 June 1953 game, with goalkickers and scores filled our. Both Faulkner and Sherrin advertiser their football in the Record.

Sherrin's Kangaroo Brand ad says;
Used in all tbe Principal Games by the various State Leagues. Recommended by New Zealand All Blacks and English Rugby Teams.

1 year earlier, Rd 8 1952, the VFL had "Propaganda Round" and played all 6 game outside Melbourne, in Brisbane at the old Exhibition ground, in North Hobart, in Albury on the NSW-Vic border in 2 other Vic country towns of Euroa and Yallourn and on 14th June at SCG Collingwood beat Richmond in front of 24,000+ at the SCG.

At the MCG Victoria played WA and beat them 13-13 91 to 13.4 82.

Edit newsreel footage from that game thanks to the new Footy Film SA youtube channel.

Last edited:
Just read on an FB footy group that John Devaney has passed away - RIP. Aged ~70. Gone too soon.

I didn't know him except through his detailed, encyclopaedic accumulations of particularly non-VFL football history in his Full Points Footy book volumes and then website. He was determined in his work that the long and rich story of Australian Rules outside the VFL shouldn't be lost or neglected in the big sweep of the national competition that happened the way it did, expanding out from VIC rather than by any of the other models sometimes imagined.

australianfootball.com grew out of his original Full Points Footy site and continues the work he began. Until stumbling upon the 2012 bio below I didn't know he was a "10 pound Pom", a Port man, and apart from 6 years in Adelaide in the 1960s, lived all his life in Lincoln, UK.

RIP John, everyone who loves the history of our game owes you an eternal debt of gratitude.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Just read on an FB footy group that John Devaney has passed away - RIP. Aged ~70. Gone too soon.

I didn't know him except through his detailed, encyclopaedic accumulations of particularly non-VFL football history in his Full Points Footy book volumes and then website. He was determined in his work that the long and rich story of Australian Rules outside the VFL shouldn't be lost or neglected in the big sweep of the national competition that happened the way it did, expanding out from VIC rather than by any of the other models sometimes imagined.

australianfootball.com grew out of his original Full Points Footy site and continues the work he began. Until stumbling upon the 2012 bio below I didn't know he was a "10 pound Pom", a Port man, and apart from 6 years in Adelaide in the 1960s, lived all his life in Lincoln, UK.

RIP John, everyone who loves the history of our game owes you an eternal debt of gratitude.

Cornesy wrote a good piece in the Tiser today.
Also Port fanatic Matt Byrne passed away recently. Peter Goers wrote about him today as well.
Couple of great Port men gone to the Port supporter's den in the sky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope there's plans to continue Devaney's site. The whole thing needs to be catalogued and possibly printed as hard copy for lodging at the National Library.

Would be such a waste to see his legacy peter out.

I really hope there's plans to continue Devaney's site. The whole thing needs to be catalogued and possibly printed as hard copy for lodging at the National Library.

Would be such a waste to see his legacy peter out.
It was sold to australianfootball.com and they have imported a lot of it - articles, stats but it has a different format and focus, although it concentrates on leagues from all around Oz (not just afl), like Full Points Footy. Their interstate football stuff has very little info compared to Full Points Footy.

As per my OP Full Points Footy has been archived by the web archive people and it looks like close to 100% archived to mid 2011 when John made his last alterations to the site.

Last edited:
This is how you celebrate your 200th career game - and 200 consecutive games from debut - have your own express train to the game. ( The result of the game, not so much).

Stephen Michael was a great player, a ruckman who gave away cms to taller guys, but was tough, moved like a gazelle and near the end of his career became a ruck rover and an enforcer as you see late in the video.

Butters and Pepper

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think SANFL imposed their rights and have caused it to be shut down for now whilst the legalities are being sorted out.

The old website with links to games has been shut down,
https://safootballvideoarchive.webs.com/

but their facebook group page is still alive with lots of short clips and this message from the owner was posted 4 weeks ago.

Don Reed
October on 26 at 11:51 ·

For various reasons this group is paused and the SA Football Video Archive YouTube channel has been discontinued.
Thanks for all the support, see you in the outer one day soon...

I don't know if it's the same guy who has set this up, but it looks like it's been reincarnated under a new name.

I don't know if it's the same guy who has set this up, but it looks like it's been reincarnated under a new name.

It looks like it is, as about 800 videos have gone up within 24 hours, some a minute or two, some a full 2 hour+ full replay.

But the personal video I linked above where he said its been shutdown for various reasons doesn't have an update saying anything about the new site.

This 2006 Headliners doco from the original Fox Footy Channel on Peter Motley is on the new site, and worth a look looking at his great short career, before that terrible car accident almost killed him and cut short his footy career in 1987.

I will stick this here rather than in the Lets Talk Ports thread as i know where to find it but the new Footy Film SA youtube channel has the other day put up a "new version with superior footage" of the 1977 GF rather than that shitty grainy version that has been around for years.

But there is a catch. It's only newer footage for the first half as just before half time and just before Fred Phillis smacks Tim Evans in the head, its back to the old shitty grainy version.

Butters and Pepper

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I went to 88 GF and would have watched most games that year on replay that I didn't attend.....but I don't recall this particular game.

From about 57 minutes onwards, an irresistible 3rd quarter, especially Hodges and some nice Foster goals.

I remember Derek Kickett kicking a an incredible goal in a charity game about 10 or 15 years ago.....at 53mins 20seconds he likewise kicks a freakish goal.

1988 was an incredible season for Port, given the tragic circumstances just before the game v Norwood at the Parade.

Imagine Port's current AFL side playing with even half as much as grittiness and desperation as this side in the late 80s!

Cockle Diver

Debutant
Apr 18, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I went to 88 GF and would have watched most games that year on replay that I didn't attend.....but I don't recall this particular game.

From about 57 minutes onwards, an irresistible 3rd quarter, especially Hodges and some nice Foster goals.

I remember Derek Kickett kicking a an incredible goal in a charity game about 10 or 15 years ago.....at 53mins 20seconds he likewise kicks a freakish goal.

1988 was an incredible season for Port, given the tragic circumstances just before the game v Norwood at the Parade.

Imagine Port's current AFL side playing with even half as much as grittiness and desperation as this side in the late 80s

Daryl Chynoweth was a very handy footballer. Did he come from Kilburn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back