Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I do sound psychotic sometimes with some of the involuntary noises I make when I jump under.
One thing I've done in recent years (which I never dreamed I would ever do), is swim in the unheated outdoor pool every day it's open no matter what the temp is. Can get down to 20 degrees max for multiple days in a row early November/late March.

One thing I've done in recent years (which I never dreamed I would ever do), is swim in the unheated outdoor pool every day it's open no matter what the temp is. Can get down to 20 degrees max for multiple days in a row early November/late March.
You're basically BigFooty's Wim Hof

I've been trying out that 30 day cold shower challenge (I know, so brave doing it in the middle of a Perth summer, but I'm going to see how long into the colder months I can keep it up before I start wimping out).

One of the claimed benefits I'm interested in is its supposed effect on procrastination. The theory being it teaches you that you just have to dive in and get it done, there's no way around it. Can't say I've noticed much change on that front just yet, but geez I feel good after I get out. Whole body tingling and just a general sense of well-being and accomplishment.
I've been having cold showers for quite a while now, however when I was holidaying in Queenstown NZ in late 2018 the water was nigh on freezing so had to use the hot tap as well to make it bearable. Can't say I have noticed any significant health benefits apart from as you say feeling really refreshed when you get out although overall I have been feeling fantastic over the last few years (which I put down to the combination of methods mentioned below) except for a major health battle in the middle of 2019.

It was raining heavily here late yesterday afternoon so went for a long walk in it, very pleasurable, took me back to my childhood.

From what I have read anything that stresses the body/mind is quite good for you which is why I partake in cold showers, intermittent and prolonged fasting, hot yoga, HIIT and Wim Hof/Buteyko method breathing techniques.

I've been having cold showers for quite a while now, however when I was holidaying in Queenstown NZ in late 2018 the water was nigh on freezing so had to use the hot tap as well to make it bearable. Can't say I have noticed any significant health benefits apart from as you say feeling really refreshed when you get out although overall I have been feeling fantastic over the last few years (which I put down to the combination of methods mentioned below) except for a major health battle in the middle of 2019.

It was raining heavily here late yesterday afternoon so went for a long walk in it, very pleasurable, took me back to my childhood.

From what I have read anything that stresses the body/mind is quite good for you which is why I partake in cold showers, intermittent and prolonged fasting, hot yoga, HIIT and Wim Hof/Buteyko method breathing techniques.
I tend to put just the cold water on at the end of a shower and keep my legs in on leg days. Feels like it helps, might just be placebo.

Went for a 21.2 Km walk this morning, lots of hills, took me 3 hours and 42 minutes.

Unfortunately I can't run any longer, whenever I try I get terrible knee pain, while walking it is fine except for some mild pain on steep declines.

Went for a 21.2 Km walk this morning, lots of hills, took me 3 hours and 42 minutes.

Unfortunately I can't run any longer, whenever I try I get terrible knee pain, while walking it is fine except for some mild pain on steep declines.
we all age my friend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hows everyone dealing with the....CORONAVIRUS saga gym wise? If you read up on gym and covid on the internet it says you can/cant should/shouldnt attend gyms.

I saw that as well, my gym has banned people without towels (not sure how much that will do) and has hand sanitizer and wipes everywhere.

I’m still going.

I'm still going to Hot Yoga, went every day this week and I'm in the vulnerable category ie. 60+ years of age.

Note- I was listening to a Podcast with an expert on virus's etc and he said the best thing you can do to fight off Coronavirus if you contract it is to be in good physical condition... so most on this board should be OK.

Hows everyone dealing with the....CORONAVIRUS saga gym wise? If you read up on gym and covid on the internet it says you can/cant should/shouldnt attend gyms.
No Pete you can't you it for an excuse for not exercising :p

I've seen some talk that gyms etc. may be forced to close, has anybody heard any scuttlebutt out there. My Yoga studio saying business as normal for now, there were actually more people there this morning than is usually the case.

I've seen some talk that gyms etc. may be forced to close, has anybody heard any scuttlebutt out there. My Yoga studio saying business as normal for now, there were actually more people there this morning than is usually the case.

The gyms will close at some point, right now we kinda of need the virus to spread, mass infections are inevitable, you just done want them all at once. Quarantine will come into affect when the government need to stem the tide of infections.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back