Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless you are running, in a bank or have a medical condition

Still need to wear a mask to the bank, or if you commute to your run - then it can be removed but you still need to have it on you/ and wear it when you leave the bank/stop running.

I’d imagine people who can’t wear masks would have respiratory issues so are probably the last people that Should be out in public

Still need to wear a mask to the bank, or if you commute to your run - then it can be removed but you still need to have it on you/ and wear it when you leave the bank/stop running.

I’d imagine people who can’t wear masks would have respiratory issues so are probably the last people that Should be out in public
If I’m doing interval work do I need to put it on in my walk/rest intervals?

Lot of conflicting stuff out there about masks-

View attachment 915230

Maybe if they were only recommended for "a passing interaction in public space" then there would be controversy.
As per playground discussion; very easy for someone who is infectious to contaminate a surface (say standing there deciding what bag of chips to get at the supermarket) and then someone else pick it up. Mask will prevent that entirely.

That authors also fail to reference (anywhere) the multiple times they allude to masks offering little or no protection ie it's no more than their opinion.
The entire premise of the text [link here for anyone else] seems to be that the public should wear masks because 1) it might make them complacent about washing their hands and 2) there might be a global shortage of masks for health care workers.

For the record here is the current viewpoint of the World Health Organisation [LINK] as well as an easily digestable opinion piece from a member of faculty in the College of Medicine at Texas A&M University [LINK]. Particularly pertinent is the point raised that wearing a mask is a low risk intervention; therefore any benefits (however small) come with no negative health consequences.
I also particular like this opinion piece [LINK] which provides some insight as to why there has been an about face from a lot of scientists, medical experts and consequently government bodies on the use of masks for the general public.

Last edited:
50 days down, 50 days to go

No real change on measurements or weight after last time. Had to take one day off because my back and knees were a bit sore and I wasn't risking them. Still can't do a regular push-up but I feel like that skill will forever be beyond me. Even with a day off still averaged 11km each day on the exercise bike. Trying to find more things to do with my dumbbells so I'm not just doing curls and the occasional set of lunges. Think my upper body is lagging behind the rest of me

Might also re-weigh myself later today given I did have pasta last night. But overall, feel like I am eating/drinking better. Only had 2 drinks of coke in the last 10 days. Trying to have more salads and soups for lunch as well. Struggle with breakfast though since I can't eat eggs. Gone from yogurt to fruit and back again. Mixing it up.

Min 60 total reps for everything these next 10 days now. Let's keep marching on to day 100.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m no doctor but surely if you have issues breathing wearing a mask, then you shouldn’t be chancing your luck going into the public and catching an illness that majorly stuffs with your lungs.

I’m no doctor but surely if you have issues breathing wearing a mask, then you shouldn’t be chancing your luck going into the public and catching an illness that majorly stuffs with your lungs.

This would be my rationale as well.

https://www.rt.com/usa/496578-fauci-coronavirus-eye-protection/

Top US immunologist Dr Anthony Fauci is now saying citizens are not “complete” in protecting themselves from the Covid-19 pandemic unless they go beyond wearing a mask and add in eye protection like goggles, too.
In an interview with Dr Jennifer Ashton, ABC News’ chief medical correspondent, Fauci was asked if we might reach a point where masks are not only mandated, but eye protection as well.
“It might,” he replied, going on to explain that the only way to have “perfect protection” from the virus is by protecting the eyes, as well as the mouth and nose.
“If you have goggles or an eye shield, you should use it,” he said. “It’s not universally recommended, but if you really want to be complete, you should probably use it.”

1596101013316.png

https://www.rt.com/usa/496578-fauci-coronavirus-eye-protection/

Top US immunologist Dr Anthony Fauci is now saying citizens are not “complete” in protecting themselves from the Covid-19 pandemic unless they go beyond wearing a mask and add in eye protection like goggles, too.
In an interview with Dr Jennifer Ashton, ABC News’ chief medical correspondent, Fauci was asked if we might reach a point where masks are not only mandated, but eye protection as well.
“It might,” he replied, going on to explain that the only way to have “perfect protection” from the virus is by protecting the eyes, as well as the mouth and nose.
“If you have goggles or an eye shield, you should use it,” he said. “It’s not universally recommended, but if you really want to be complete, you should probably use it.”

View attachment 923238
Do you have a comment on it? Seems a weird thing to just post randomly?

Of course you can’t get perfect protection from droplets without goggles

Do you have a comment on it? Seems a weird thing to just post randomly?

Of course you can’t get perfect protection from droplets without goggles
I've made a few comments on it previously, it's information. Just seems a bit over the top to me, been some mixed messaging right from the start of it, why weren't masks mandatory in lockdown V1, surely it was known then how effective they would be.

I've made a few comments on it previously, it's information. Just seems a bit over the top to me, been some mixed messaging right from the start of it, why weren't masks mandatory in lockdown V1, surely it was known then how effective they would be.
It was. The reasons were discussed at the time. A lack of PPE for facilities that required it and a worry that it would lead to complacency

noone is suggesting eye covers are needed in general.

It was. The reasons were discussed at the time. A lack of PPE for facilities that required it and a worry that it would lead to complacency

noone is suggesting eye covers are needed in general.
Dr Fauci seems to think so >

This is mixed messaging to me, it's either... are we going the full way with measures to stop the spread or do we make value/cost/practicality-benefit decisions.

Dr Fauci seems to think so >

This is mixed messaging to me, it's either... are we going the full way with measures to stop the spread or do we make value/cost/practicality-benefit decisions.
He pretty clearly said they’re not needed in general. Literally what “universally recommended” means

it’s not mixed messaging. You know what 100% would be effective. A full PPE suit, but suggesting we wear masks and not a full PPE suit isn’t mixed messaging.

of course value/cost/practicality are taken into account. That doesn’t make it mixed. It makes it holistic. How many more cases will not wearing goggles cause? How many more cases will not wearing hazmat suits cause?

A lot of the early advise was based around only those who were symptomatic wearing masks which is consistent with this diagram.
1596111014148.png

With these new restrictions do I now need to wear a face mask when running?
not sure. I've been using a buff and just pulling it up over my face when i pass people. it really doesn't restrict breathing that much but i wouldn't want to be doing a hard session while wearing it permanently.
got mine from https://fractel.com.au/
they're out of stock for now but there's plenty of other places you can pick up something similar.

not sure. I've been using a buff and just pulling it up over my face when i pass people. it really doesn't restrict breathing that much but i wouldn't want to be doing a hard session while wearing it permanently.
got mine from https://fractel.com.au/
they're out of stock for now but there's plenty of other places you can pick up something similar.
I’ve been trying to run more and push hard when I do. Sounds like that may be over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back