Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For me its snacking.

Last night i managed to avoid the chips and choc, had weetbix banana and skim milk instead.

Idk maybe i should just go to bed at 8pm every night to avoid the extra snacking lol
The battle really has to be won at the supermarket cause once it's in the home and you are enjoying watching TV haha.

I kind of try to stick to the rule of only 1 bad item max allowed in the basket when I shop.

Was swimming next to a bloke I went to school with and played juniors/colts with, I'd assumed when I mentioned it he'd retired a couple of years ago but he's still gonna play footy at 39. Even in bush league that's a fair effort.

I can't imagine playing at even 30+..
I played competitive Futsal up until I was 58 with my son and his mates which was 4 years ago, certainly not as physical as footy but pretty intense nevertheless.:shoutyoldman:

200.gif

The battle really has to be won at the supermarket cause once it's in the home and you are enjoying watching TV haha.

I kind of try to stick to the rule of only 1 bad item max allowed in the basket when I shop.
yeah 100%, if theres nothing bad there for me to eat then no big deal. if i get the hungries at 11pm and there is junk in my fridge or pantry then i cant help myself tho

yeah 100%, if theres nothing bad there for me to eat then no big deal. if i get the hungries at 11pm and there is junk in my fridge or pantry then i cant help myself tho

I'm like that with beer too.

If I was going to an event and needed a 6-pack I used to buy a carton because it was cheaper and I'd rationalise that I'd put the rest away and grab the next 6-pack when I needed it.

Nope, every time I would just drink beer every night until it was gone. I just have no willpower to have alcohol free days if it's right there in the house.

I'm like that with beer too.

If I was going to an event and needed a 6-pack I used to buy a carton because it was cheaper and I'd rationalise that I'd put the rest away and grab the next 6-pack when I needed it.

Nope, every time I would just drink beer every night until it was gone. I just have no willpower to have alcohol free days if it's right there in the house.
No judegment but ive never really understood the appeal of drinking 2-3 beers of a night at home on my own.

Id say im a social drinker and very very very rarely might have a whisky on the rocks at home on my own.

No judegment but ive never really understood the appeal of drinking 2-3 beers of a night at home on my own.

Id say im a social drinker and very very very rarely might have a whisky on the rocks at home on my own.
I didn't when I was younger until I moved back up north for a while where everybody drinks every night after work (or at least everybody I knew).

Just became a habit and like any habit it's hard to break if the temptation is right there in front of you all the time.

Around 2014, I decided to get myself into shape and start going to the gym. I went a few times, mostly focusing on cardio. My housemate was very much into his gym and fitness but never truly been out of shape to the degree I was and I don't think appreciated the fitness gap, but swore I was wasting my time concentrating on cardio and that he would come with me and show me a better workout to get into shape. I badly injured my back the first session we did together, unable to walk for two weeks after the fact, and regularly getting twinges subsequently. I've not been to the gym since.

A year ago I weighed myself for the first time in a little while, and saw to my surprise that I was now weighing triple figures, for the first time in my life. I decided to make changes: improve my baseline daily diet, cut down on alcohol, go for two walks a day, home workouts, regular swimming, and yoga. The yoga and swimming helped me feel like I was building back strength in the back and so the walks increasingly became jogs as I became less worried about high impact exercise, as well as my fitness levels increased. In nine months, I lost 14 kilos.

Since then, I kind of stagnated. Initially going out again post-lockdown saw a slight gain as I ate and drank out more and generally lost my discipline, but I got it back to its prior level, where it's basically remained since. I could maybe lose another kilo or two on this regime, but I think it's about as low as it will go, where ideally I should drop another 10-15. I'm 96 cm in the waist so still have a bit to lose there. In essence, I think it's time for me to return to the gym, but I'm a little wary after the last time went so disastrously. I don't particularly want to shell out on a personal trainer at this point if I can avoid it.

Any tips for where to start as I go down this path?

Calorie deficit and resistance training. Start with empty barbells, focus purely on practicing the compound movements, proper form and don't worry about the weight until you're comfortable with adding it. Start with 2 days a week, the rest the other days just do walks, yoga, mobility stuff. Try stay above 10,000 steps but number one thing is going to be diet. Weight loss is so much more about diet, those compound lifts should get your metabolism going and when you feel ready start progressive overload.

Yeh weight loss is a simple calories out being greater than calories in. Don’t go nuts, you don’t need to be benching 100kgs and running 21kms in the first week.

Milpool has some really sound tips on what to do, I’d make some additional recomendations
  • whilst weight loss in made in the kitchen, don’t go mad. If you eat a lot of junk or sugar now slowly phase it out. If you go cold turkey you’ll crash and end up binging most likely
  • discipline beats motivation. Try to do something every day, even when you don’t feel like it. Be it a walk or even just a bit of a roll and stretch. Any movement is good for you.
  • listen to your body, it will tell you if it’s too much, too soon, too hard etc.

Finally stay the course. Progress might be slow and you might have days where it feels like it’s not working but stick with it, set some smaller goals over your big goals and focus on the improvement you will see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally stay the course. Progress might be slow and you might have days where it feels like it’s not working but stick with it, set some smaller goals over your big goals and focus on the improvement you will see.
So much this. When I was young I would kind of give up on stuff because you weren't getting the results fairly soon being impatient.

Now being older I just do stuff anyway and keep doing without even really thinking about it. And then one day you are pleasantly surprised with the improvement. Eventually it will pay off, it's not an 'if' just a 'when', simply have to keep at it.

Slow progress is actually the good kind of progress, sustainable progress. If you turn around and go to 1000 calories a day, lift weights, then run 10km to reach your goals quick you have to keep that up for the rest of your life to maintain it. Find maintenance calories, drop a few hundred off and stick there for a few weeks, see how it feels with resistance training on top. Eat high protein and you'll find it easier to stay within calorie limits but as phantom13 said, diet is no place to make huge changes to either, just gradual sustainable change.

Around 2014, I decided to get myself into shape and start going to the gym. I went a few times, mostly focusing on cardio. My housemate was very much into his gym and fitness but never truly been out of shape to the degree I was and I don't think appreciated the fitness gap, but swore I was wasting my time concentrating on cardio and that he would come with me and show me a better workout to get into shape. I badly injured my back the first session we did together, unable to walk for two weeks after the fact, and regularly getting twinges subsequently. I've not been to the gym since.

A year ago I weighed myself for the first time in a little while, and saw to my surprise that I was now weighing triple figures, for the first time in my life. I decided to make changes: improve my baseline daily diet, cut down on alcohol, go for two walks a day, home workouts, regular swimming, and yoga. The yoga and swimming helped me feel like I was building back strength in the back and so the walks increasingly became jogs as I became less worried about high impact exercise, as well as my fitness levels increased. In nine months, I lost 14 kilos.

Since then, I kind of stagnated. Initially going out again post-lockdown saw a slight gain as I ate and drank out more and generally lost my discipline, but I got it back to its prior level, where it's basically remained since. I could maybe lose another kilo or two on this regime, but I think it's about as low as it will go, where ideally I should drop another 10-15. I'm 96 cm in the waist so still have a bit to lose there. In essence, I think it's time for me to return to the gym, but I'm a little wary after the last time went so disastrously. I don't particularly want to shell out on a personal trainer at this point if I can avoid it.

Any tips for where to start as I go down this path?
These threads might help a bit as well (even a PM to Benny)

Its good to be able to do some light cardio without feeling like s**t
Finally past the covid blue

Now getting back to regular movement but * me my base is low

Is 3x a week of cardio enough if it's HIIT on a stationary bike? Or should I throw in an extra day or two of light cardio on the same day I weight train (3x a week)?

Atm I do day 1, 3, 5 resistance, no cardio, day 2, 4, 6, cardio, no resistance, day 7, rest.

Is 3x a week of cardio enough if it's HIIT on a stationary bike? Or should I throw in an extra day or two of light cardio on the same day I weight train (3x a week)?

Atm I do day 1, 3, 5 resistance, no cardio, day 2, 4, 6, cardio, no resistance, day 7, rest.

If you're doing HIIT properly - once a week is plenty

I noticed you've been watching a bit of mind pump stuff, they often go recommend next to no cardio unless that's what you really love doing. They more recommend walking or if there's a sport you love playing get your cardio through that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back