Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Undoubtedly (some of my own friends included lol), but it's a bit different when it's an organisation that's supposedly made up of critical thinking members who hold Bachelor or Masters degrees lol
Anything for a buck

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Anything for a buck

Yup, definitely working on the same principles health mags work on of trying to make generic coverall statements that are enticing to those who don't know any better.
Only difference is that ESSA tend to throw in a sly "you should always consult an exercise physiologist, sports scientist or exercise scientist before commencing any exercise program" in every post lol.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is pretty much what I was getting at earlier...

"The next time you experience a cold or the flu, remember this: rather than take conventional drugs to suppress uncomfortable symptoms, it's better for your health to allow the cold or flu to run its course while you get plenty of physical and emotional rest.

Conventional medicine and the pharmaceutical industry would have you believe that there is no "cure" for the common cold, that you should protect yourself against the flu with a vaccine that is laden with toxic chemicals, and that during the midst of a cold or flu, it is favorable to ease your discomfort with a variety of medications that can suppress your symptoms.

Unfortunately, all three of these positions indicate a lack of understanding of what colds and flus really are, and what they do for your body."

http://drbenkim.com/cold-flu-difference-health.html
Therein lays the predicament though.

big-pharma-creates-customers-not-cures-thats-what-my-naturopath-7522727.png

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
All good. If u don't like the message so be it.
I think you're still badly missing the point in all these discussions in this forum, you keep mentioning whether you, or other posters 'like' or 'don't like' a message or an article, or picture. It's not about whether or not people like or don't like a message or not at all..

People here don't disagree so much with these posts based on whether or not it suits their 'beliefs' or whether it conflicts with their preferred line of thinking, they disagree because it's factually and scientifically incorrect. The science cares not for your feelings, and can often polarise opinion because people get caught on either side of the discussion as to whether to stick to their comforting untruths and biases, or swallow their pride and accept that what they staunchly believe is wrong in the face of irrefutable evidence.

A quote comes to mind in this instance: "That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on!"

WakeUpPies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
^ that.

I love shitting on vegan diets. But if one day the weight of evidence conclusively shows vegan diets are superior for human health then I'd be a vegan.

... the following is NOT PC at all so look away if you are easily offended.

My biggest problem with people that spread garbage is that people can actually die from believing their s**t. When I used to work at a hospital we've had patients die because they either 1) refuse treatment because whatever quack told them there's something wrong with medicine 2) refuse to eat anything other than ******* raw vegetables when they're serverely malnourished (and don't make it through surgery) 3) want to cure cancer with whatever concoction .. and the list of crazy goes on and on.

Honestly the worst is when they don't die and end up taking up hospital beds. FML the amount of time I wasted on this stupid lady (because I had to check up on her) who prolonged her hospital stay by god knows how long because she refused to eat anything except fking organic vegetables ... when the whole reason she's not being discharged is because of how frail she was. Never working at a hospital again lol.

Edit. Took me about 6 weeks to turn from "woo lets go see some patients!" to lamenting their existence the moment I stepped out of the wards

The abusive idiots were the best. Couldn't even talk back ... pretty sure my tongue has permanent damage from me biting on it

I think you're still badly missing the point in all these discussions in this forum, you keep mentioning whether you, or other posters 'like' or 'don't like' a message or an article, or picture. It's not about whether or not people like or don't like a message or not at all..

People here don't disagree so much with these posts based on whether or not it suits their 'beliefs' or whether it conflicts with their preferred line of thinking, they disagree because it's factually and scientifically incorrect.

Most humans dont like their belief system questioned
We have all been there im sure of that
Took me a while to understand that stance with my own beliefs

Biting the tongue like Wakeup Pies mentioned is hard
But thanks to certain posters ive managed to change the argue/fight for the belief i had mentality to one of laughing and moving on.....with perhaps a sly dig on exit

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
A quote comes to mind in this instance: "That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on!"

Sadly Masuka was last seen going insane and burying people alive when I flicked over to Criminal Minds the other night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I haven't looked lol is it that bad?

I know nutrition warehouse post some very stupid s**t. I've commented a few times and had them deleted

They've now posted something that claims improving your posture makes you more relaxed lol (actually, they've tried extending the term posture to cover basically any movement you do)

Hey folks. Long time reader, first time poster in this thread.

I'm 25, getting married at the end of the year, and I'm starting to lose my hair. It's been thinning since I lost my job last September, and the stress of everything since then surely can't have helped; but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Regaine. It seems to be my only option, considering the pill option is dangerous to someone with my other medical conditions.

Any tips or tricks would be great. Please keep in mind I really don't want to just accept being bald. I will one day, but not at 25.

Cheers!

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Hey folks. Long time reader, first time poster in this thread.

I'm 25, getting married at the end of the year, and I'm starting to lose my hair. It's been thinning since I lost my job last September, and the stress of everything since then surely can't have helped; but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Regaine. It seems to be my only option, considering the pill option is dangerous to someone with my other medical conditions.

Any tips or tricks would be great. Please keep in mind I really don't want to just accept being bald. I will one day, but not at 25.

Cheers!
if Propecia is a no go for you then Regaine is your next best option. It can take up to 6 months before you see any effects...if you see any at all. some report a slowing of hair loss, others report regrowth and some see no visible change.

the best thing to do would be to fix your other medical conditions and get on the pills

the only other real option is a hair hat but i suggest you keep your dignity rather than lose that as well.

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
So I absolutely destroyed a finger at footy, had to have surgery and am now in a cast

Any tips on what I can do with gym? I realise upper body resistance training is basically out the window

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
So I absolutely destroyed a finger at footy, had to have surgery and am now in a cast

Any tips on what I can do with gym? I realise upper body resistance training is basically out the window

That sucks.......looks like you will have to sit on the leg press for a few months

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

DemonTim

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Cheers mate. I'll have a look. I'm back with the surgeon Friday to find out how long. I'm hoping 3 weeks tops

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm on board the train the good limb train - you won't lose much in 3 weeks if that's your time frame anyway...take the time to focus on something you've neglected too like glute, hams, single leg, true aerobic capacity etc

DemonTim

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sorry to hear about your finger, but I was under the impression you're a PT instructor.
I am. Can't say I've ever dealt with a serious injury impacting one arm though. Back or leg are the main issues I've dealt with. And most people with those injuries don't push unilateral

There's always room to learn

DemonTim

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm on board the train the good limb train - you won't lose much in 3 weeks if that's your time frame anyway...take the time to focus on something you've neglected too like glute, hams, single leg, true aerobic capacity etc
Legs should be fine for me. Was planning on that and high intensity cardio (once the cast is off).
Unilateral is the way to go

3 weeks seems to be more my hope (and the first doctors suggestion).

Back