Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For you (and probably the missus if she thinks anything like you haha) it’s not as much of an issue as you think logically and rationally.
The problem is when people don’t think rationally or logically that we get people spiralling down paths like anti-vax based solely on anecdotes.
Oh yeah. I'm not for anecdote being the only form. Hence the caveats of not dangerous etc

Is anyone up with metabolic precision?

I have a monstrous essay due on Monday and I haven’t been to the gym in 3 days (will be 4) I hate myself.

Well when the dry needles go in and hit that spot and you feel the pain ease up id say that's not placebo

There’s a study currently being done in the US comparing pain relief from actual needling vs sham so we’ll have a better idea in 2020 lol. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02890485
Personally I don’t think anyone would question that it does something; but rather whether the something it does is clinically significant or any better than other interventions that don’t require sticking a needle in someone.

I do believe in the positive thinking thing, which links into to placebos.

Definitely.
The US military is great for large population case studies and they get released to the public.
I found one not too long ago that came to a fairly comprehensive conclusion that you could predict whether an injured soldier would return to active duty and how quickly based on their personality type.
Review of the US work cover equivalent found people with LBP that had MRI, CT or X-ray took twice as long to return to work even with same injuries.
This study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25858277/ describes a “pain personality type”

Granted acute injuries like an ACL rupture are going to need actual physical intervention, but for people suffering idiopathic pain (fancy term for pain with an unknown cause) they’d be better off 9 Times out of 10 seeing a psychologist over a sports physician (interestingly some +ve research is being done using mental imagery/cognitive therapy, virtual reality and mirror training to help overcome chronic pain).
Unfortunately for proponents of manual therapy the results don’t stack up in isolation for medium or long term efficacy

Sigh knocked down with the flu (again) and I have my wisdom teeth coming out on Thursday. Here's to 2 weeks of no gym coming up - plus a week or 2 already off playing good future daughter-in-law and because of uni.

How long is it going to take to get my beautiful gains back?

Sigh knocked down with the flu (again) and I have my wisdom teeth coming out on Thursday. Here's to 2 weeks of no gym coming up - plus a week or 2 already off playing good future daughter-in-law and because of uni.

How long is it going to take to get my beautiful gains back?

sounds like stress/cortisol levels going through the roof!

i think you were saying you were training hard 7 days a week for 2 hours a day? is this right or am i just talking s**t?

this is where all the build up of previous training without perhaps the adequate recovery may start to have an an impact. doms isn't the be-all unfortunately.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slowly imo
And smash protein
Carbs before exercise for energy

Nows a good time to change something seeing as you've been eating in a weird way due to the teeth
Since I stopped smoking I now see food as 80% just for fuel and not really for enjoyment
Obviously I don't eat stuff I don't l8ke the taste of but I don't eat for pleasure much anymore......I think that if I didn't stop the cigs (a big change) then I wouldn't have that attitude

Dont go flat out back into the exercise, there's no rush to get back to a decent level

Played my first game of futsal in 4 years yesterday. I was alright for the first 5 minutes scored a goal and set one up then wow did my fitness disappear. Legs felt like they were made of lead. Think I need to do some more running and when I say more I mean any.

Found this interesting.
(Cliffs: all our athletic improvements have been technologically or culturally driven over the past century rather than “evolution”)

First sesh back - went about 70% to be conservative.

Weight numbers haven’t gone down too drastically, but * my stamina is gone. Used to be able to get a workout out and feel fatigued at the end but today my quads were shaking after squats.

Never really understood the ease back in mentality. In similar situations I just jump straight back in. I am young though so perhaps that is a contributing factor.

Never really understood the ease back in mentality. In similar situations I just jump straight back in. I am young though so perhaps that is a contributing factor.

Yeah I agree, but I was conscious of the extractions. Didn’t want to push out the blood clot or disrupt their healing given it’s been a week.

Anyone else do plank holds?

Have been doing them for a little while, sets of 3 or so. Best time of 3:30.

Not sure how much benefit you get the longer but they seem to work

Anyone else do plank holds?

Have been doing them for a little while, sets of 3 or so. Best time of 3:30.

Not sure how much benefit you get the longer but they seem to work

The typical feet and forearms is definitely at the low end of the scale/introductory level.
Long term I don’t feel as though they have a great application as
a) very rarely do we need to maintain a neutral spine with absolutely no limb movement, so it’s unlikely that the static version of the plank is anywhere near as transferable to athletic (and daily) endeavours as more dynamic versions
b) the isometric nature of the exercise means there is no lengthening/shortening of the muscle which makes them a poor choice for hypertrophy purposes

Suitable progressions:
Bird dog
Side-to-side/rolling plank
Ab wheel rollouts
Barbell rollouts

They’re just the face down ones
You’ve also got face up anti-extension exercises like dead bugs progressing to V-ups

i see a study shows there is a greater chance of gut cancer for those taking proton pump inhibitors over a prolonged period. anyone got any natural alternatives for acid reflux?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back