Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm sure people have often wanted to ask a quick question or thought that doesn't go into any existing threads so instead of constantly making threads or derailing I thought I'd just begin one.

How does illness affect your gym schedule?
I've had a gum infection (thanks wisdom tooth) and for some reason it's made me slower/more light-headed during Cardio even though I don't feel fatigued or much different day to day. Any doctors out there?

With illness i tend to play it by ear and adapt my exercise depending on how i feel.

If i'm sick with something that lasts over a few days i'll drop back cardio or eliminate it all together to give myself a chance to recover.

If i'm super-sick i'll stay home (and not make everyone else sick).

If i have a cold or chest infection, will still do weights. But will often drop back the intensity slightly to a lighter weight.

I've had the flu or been very unwell before and still gone to the gym. What i found was during this i was unable to even manage all my warm up sets so have called it quits after 10-15 mins.

After training for a while you should know your body pretty well.. and know if you're able to train at full strength or not. So see how you feel and cut back on excessive or super intensive cardio if you think it might prolong the illness.

With illness i tend to play it by ear and adapt my exercise depending on how i feel.

If i'm sick with something that lasts over a few days i'll drop back cardio or eliminate it all together to give myself a chance to recover.

If i'm super-sick i'll stay home (and not make everyone else sick).

If i have a cold or chest infection, will still do weights. But will often drop back the intensity slightly to a lighter weight.

I've had the flu or been very unwell before and still gone to the gym. What i found was during this i was unable to even manage all my warm up sets so have called it quits after 10-15 mins.

After training for a while you should know your body pretty well.. and know if you're able to train at full strength or not. So see how you feel and cut back on excessive or super intensive cardio if you think it might prolong the illness.

Good reply. When I googled it a bit, the general consensus was anything above the neck (i.e. common cold) you're fine and exercise will do you good, but anything below and you're better off resting. I never thought a gum infection would affect me that much but I guess your body is fighting a virus so it'll be fatigued even if you don't realise it until you push it.

It may sound funny, but lifting weights actually tells me how well i'm going.

I know what i'm able to do (within a smallish margin) and if i'm well below it, i know something is wrong with my body and it needs time to recover.

Also the more you try and fight it, the longer you'll be unwell. So often having a few days off and being sick for a week is better than training through it and being sick for 3 weeks. (I dont always follow this advice).

Just in regards to training intensity through sickness or lack of motivation, i love reading this article from Robert Murphy;

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ets-tough-keep-on-running-20120718-22amp.html

In particular this quote;

"Olympic swimmer Mark Spitz spoke to us, and he had a slightly different take. He spoke about the days when he wasn't quite mentally there for the battle that lay ahead.

He knew that to win he had to endure huge pain. He judged himself not on the days that he swam with such ease and grace, but on those days when he stood on the blocks and had to find something that he wasn't sure was there."

Good quote ^ that one.

Just had a 'protein bar' to give me some energy and sugar pre exam and to counter the fact I'm struggling to eat. Yuck, so gross. Tastes like off soy mixed with off wheat with off Chocolate added.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/aussie-bodies-protein-fx-lo-carb.html

I have tried these and i think they are pretty good. All these types of protein bars are pricey to buy from supermarkets, buy a couple boxes online and you will save some $$$

I still lift during a 'common cold'. Thankfully, that's pretty much as ill as I get, so I don't really have anything else to add.

I find headaches quite funny. I get a pretty bad headache about once a fortnight and I used to forgo the gym because, really, you don't want to move when your head is aching. A few months ago, I decided to suck it up and commit when I had a headache. I work out, come home and the headache is GONESKI. Now whenever I have a headache, I get to the gym ASAP. Works every time. Anyone else ever heard of this? Any science to it? For example, does working out release any hormones in the body that helps to quell the ache?

Works for hangovers too :thumbsu:

I still lift during a 'common cold'. Thankfully, that's pretty much as ill as I get, so I don't really have anything else to add.

I find headaches quite funny. I get a pretty bad headache about once a fortnight and I used to forgo the gym because, really, you don't want to move when your head is aching. A few months ago, I decided to suck it up and commit when I had a headache. I work out, come home and the headache is GONESKI. Now whenever I have a headache, I get to the gym ASAP. Works every time. Anyone else ever heard of this? Any science to it? For example, does working out release any hormones in the body that helps to quell the ache?

Works for hangovers too :thumbsu:
best thing to fix almost any sickeness is fasting. Digesting food takes a lot of the bodies resources - if you aren't eating body can concentrate on repairing itself. Exercise is the next best thing to fasting. Has many of the same hormonal effects.

Many headaches are caused by dehydration - so are hangovers ;). you work out, you drink lots of water and you get your body "turning over" so to speak.

Many headaches are caused by dehydration - so are hangovers ;). you work out, you drink lots of water and you get your body "turning over" so to speak.

I drink water all day, every day. Dehydration is not an issue for me, I often get them on days I wake up early. Which still seems strange considering I make sure I get 8-9 hours of sleep, which is the regular amount for me.

Because of the fact I drink so much water, I also rarely suffer from hangovers. It's just some nights become realllllll big, so a hangover is unavoidable ;)

Because of the fact I drink so much water, I also rarely suffer from hangovers. It's just some nights become realllllll big, so a hangover is unavoidable ;)

I've trained myself to be pretty disciplined at drinking a shiteload of water before I go to bed if I've been drinking.

The problem comes on those (thankfully rare these days) occasions when I get so drunk I'm not thinking clearly enough to remember to. Then all of a sudden I wake up and it's a double whammy... the extra alcohol and no water to combat it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

interesting. Shouldn't really get headaches ever if diet, sleep and hydration is good.

If you strain your eyes (which is easier said than you'd think) when reading/writing/going on Computer it will induce a headache. Given Shupe is at Uni, that and also stress related headaches would also happen. I can see why exercise ie doing something that rests the eyes and relieves stress would be beneficial.

When I'm doing anything with dumbbells (except flies) I'm finding that I'm having trouble with grip after upping them. Is it something to do with the way I'm holding it? My hands/wrists are tiny. I've been contemplating getting gloves because my rings (won't take them off) are digging into me & I found a callous developing on my hand given I've never done any hard labour for an extended period of time. So could I kill two birds one stone? (I know there are mixed reports on glove usage - I personally dislike them as I view them as pure aesthetics but interested to hear opinions.

I'm a glove guy mostly because I don't want callous' all over my hands, and most gloves give you better grip on everything. Chin ups in particular.

Brand recommendation?
I'm so tempted to go with Nike to cash in a voucher I have but I haven't heard great things.

Would the ones with 'wrist support' help with the grip/hand/wrist size problem I'm having?

Why won't you take your rings off? That seems the easiest solution.

Gloves look a bit wanky but they do help with grip from what I remember. I only used them briefly so I don't know, but I'm told they also help reduce callusing over time.

Personally I like my calluses. If I had problems with grip I'd use them but I've had no issues yet.

Why won't you take your rings off? That seems the easiest solution.

Gloves look a bit wanky but they do help with a bit with grip from what I remember. I only used them briefly so I don't know, but I'm told they also help reduce callusing over time.

Personally I like my calluses.

Rings are old family heirlooms - I'll never take them off because I'll make a habit of it then get careless then lose it because I'm incompetent.
Yeah, but males having calluses is more acceptable. I'd rather not have tough and rough hands as a female.
Agree re wanky thing, they look super pretentious.

I still get calluses with gloves, but probably not as much.

Thing with gloves though is they make the bar slightly thicker - so while giving you less slip, it might make the actual total grip around the bar slightly harder. Depends where your grip is failing.

Brand that i use are Harbinger - they last me about 18 months.

2 things, it might be how you're actually gripping the bar, or might be simply grip strength. Could possibly try certain grip exercises (ie heavy farmers walks, or pinch holding plates).

Otherwise which particular exercise is failing with your grip and what exactly is happening?

I still get calluses with gloves, but probably not as much.

Thing with gloves though is they make the bar slightly thicker - so while giving you less slip, it might make the actual total grip around the bar slightly harder. Depends where your grip is failing.

Brand that i use are Harbinger - they last me about 18 months.

2 things, it might be how you're actually gripping the bar, or might be simply grip strength. Could possibly try certain grip exercises (ie heavy farmers walks, or pinch holding plates).

Otherwise which particular exercise is failing with your grip and what exactly is happening?

Mostly curls, when I bring them up it kind of tilts a little if that makes sense. You know how you move them from the side of your body and up towards your arm you have to rotate? It starts to tilt when I'm bringing it up to my arm and also the bar is longer compared to others I've seen. It's not a huge issue but I may as well get advice as everyone who posts here knows their stuff.
I went to Rebel today, and the guy let me try this huge chunky support thing that was just a wrap around. It made it a lot better, but it cut into me. What about something like taping around the wrist? I have ridiculous amounts of medical tape. Might be worthwhile asking my physio next time I'm there.

If you're doing barbell curls are you using a straight bar?

I have wrist problems lifting that too, and use a ez-curl bar instead:

spinlockezcurlbar.jpg

Holding it with my wrists at a slight angle helps take a bit of pressure off my wrists. Otherwise, can always move to using dumbbells rather than barbells.

From how you described it though, is it your wrist bending backwards rather than your grip? Kinda like this:

bench-press-wrists-grip.jpg

Wrists wraps can help keep your wrist in a straighter position. I have a wrist injury at the moment and it definitely helps take any pressure off by keeping the wrist straight.

rogue_wrist_wraps.jpg

When wearing this it does cut into me too. I basically put it on immediately before my set, and undo it as soon as i finish. It needs to be this tight though to provide support.

If you're doing barbell curls are you using a straight bar?

I have wrist problems lifting that too, and use a ez-curl bar instead:
Holding it with my wrists at a slight angle helps take a bit of pressure off my wrists. Otherwise, can always move to using dumbbells rather than barbells.

From how you described it though, is it your wrist bending backwards rather than your grip? Kinda

Wrists wraps can help keep your wrist in a straighter position. I have a wrist injury at the moment and it definitely helps take any pressure off by keeping the wrist straight.

When wearing this it does cut into me too. I basically put it on immediately before my set, and undo it as soon as i finish. It needs to be this tight though to provide support.

Ahh, I meant dumbbells when I do curls but yes the wrist does move back a little, or tilt a little if I'm not holding it dead centre. That wrist wrap is what the sales person let me try, it did help but like you said it cut. Did you have much luck with the physio for your wrist injury? Any taping or anything?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back