Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mostly posting this for me as a small form of accountability and because I am starting to really, really struggle. TL;DR at the end

So when lockdown first hit it also hit with Easter. So I smashed a lot of chocolate. And I have never really worked out. I had done some forms of yoga and I had friends that did and they would talk about it so I knew how to lose weight, what to eat and all that but I just never enjoyed exercise. Still don't. I've always been considered a "skinny" guy but I have zero muscles and have been considered fairly weak. This never bothered me. Until the end of May.

I stepped on the scale and for the first time I hit 80kg. I'm 180cm and I never lifted a weight in my life. I measured my waist and it came out at about 92cm. Threw that into a body fat calculator and I was like, 2% away from being considered obese. Well, s**t.

I had been watching a bunch of One Punch Man so decided "* it, I'm gonna do what he does" so that's 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats and a 10km everyday. Well, I'd die if I tried that. I couldn't do a push up then (still can't now). So I thought let's do this over 100 days. First 10 days do 10 of each, 2nd set of 10 days do 20 etc etc. I had used them as a minimum so if I felt like I could do more, I would. I started doing this on the first of June

I had to do some modifications though, sit ups became crunches, push ups on my knees and it's winter so using an exercise bike instead of running, though I am sure my form is poor as I am doing it myself in the spare room. Over time I have added weights, some extra cardio things to try and make it more well rounded. And most importantly, do it every day.

Well, yesterday was day 40 so it means today was a weigh and check in day. And I have hit a massive wall. In the past 40 days I took only 1 day off (day 26) cause it turns out lunges with weights really ******* hurt the next day. Whilst after 30 days I had lost 1.6kg, when I weighed myself today I had put it all back on. I know I ate pretty poorly in the past 10 days so it's my fault but it still feels like a kick in the balls. I don't feel stronger. I don't feel fitter. I have only noticed 3 changes in my body:
1. About 7cm above my belly button, just below my ribs is a small "dip" in my stomach
2. I have a muscle seeming to be growing just above my knee that wasn't there a month ago
3. My legs hurt all the time

According to my measurements though:
- Down 7cm on my waist, 92cm->85cm
- Down 1cm on my chest, 92cm->91cm
- My left thigh went up 4cm, 56cm->60cm
- My right thigh went up 3cm, 53cm->56cm
- Both bieceps have gone up 1cm, 29cm>30cm
- Body fat % down 5%, 22.6%->17.6% (using https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html )
- Weight steady at 80kg though 10 days ago it was 78.4kg

Some notes, I am measuring myself with a measuring tape used for woodwork not a soft one so they might be a bit out here and there.

I know what I am eating is holding me back to some degree (not trying anything radical, just more fruit, more veggies, if I have pasta don't have bread and most importantly try to cut back/out sugar but I don't drink alcohol so I drink a lot of coke) and because I don't work anymore I get bored and snack so should start aiming for healthier snacks (nuts not chips, a tomato instead of chocolate).

I'm gonna keep going for the next 60 days or so but right now, I feel like I have gotten no where, I am going no where and I'm tired of doing something I don't enjoy for no results.

TL;DR
- Workout of 10 pushups/sit ups/squats and some cardio, every 10 days doing at least 10 more for 100 days
- 40 days in feel like I have made no progress
- Feel like giving up but won't
- My legs hurt

7cm lost off your waist is nothing to sneeze at.
Neither is the extra muscle mass you’ve added around your thighs.
True. I was thinking about it when I was on the bike earlier today, I used to do 10kms in about 33 minutes and lately I have been able to do 12km in 33 minutes now. Which made me feel a bit better. Think I might need to re-work what I am doing on my upper body.

And eat better

Mostly posting this for me as a small form of accountability and because I am starting to really, really struggle. TL;DR at the end

So when lockdown first hit it also hit with Easter. So I smashed a lot of chocolate. And I have never really worked out. I had done some forms of yoga and I had friends that did and they would talk about it so I knew how to lose weight, what to eat and all that but I just never enjoyed exercise. Still don't. I've always been considered a "skinny" guy but I have zero muscles and have been considered fairly weak. This never bothered me. Until the end of May.

I stepped on the scale and for the first time I hit 80kg. I'm 180cm and I never lifted a weight in my life. I measured my waist and it came out at about 92cm. Threw that into a body fat calculator and I was like, 2% away from being considered obese. Well, sh*t.

I had been watching a bunch of One Punch Man so decided "fu** it, I'm gonna do what he does" so that's 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats and a 10km everyday. Well, I'd die if I tried that. I couldn't do a push up then (still can't now). So I thought let's do this over 100 days. First 10 days do 10 of each, 2nd set of 10 days do 20 etc etc. I had used them as a minimum so if I felt like I could do more, I would. I started doing this on the first of June

I had to do some modifications though, sit ups became crunches, push ups on my knees and it's winter so using an exercise bike instead of running, though I am sure my form is poor as I am doing it myself in the spare room. Over time I have added weights, some extra cardio things to try and make it more well rounded. And most importantly, do it every day.

Well, yesterday was day 40 so it means today was a weigh and check in day. And I have hit a massive wall. In the past 40 days I took only 1 day off (day 26) cause it turns out lunges with weights really ******* hurt the next day. Whilst after 30 days I had lost 1.6kg, when I weighed myself today I had put it all back on. I know I ate pretty poorly in the past 10 days so it's my fault but it still feels like a kick in the balls. I don't feel stronger. I don't feel fitter. I have only noticed 3 changes in my body:
1. About 7cm above my belly button, just below my ribs is a small "dip" in my stomach
2. I have a muscle seeming to be growing just above my knee that wasn't there a month ago

- Body fat % down 5%, 22.6%->17.6% (using https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html )

Some notes, I am measuring myself with a measuring tape used for woodwork not a soft one so they might be a bit out here and there.

I know what I am eating is holding me back to some degree (not trying anything radical, just more fruit, more veggies, if I have pasta don't have bread and most importantly try to cut back/out sugar but I don't drink alcohol so I drink a lot of coke) and because I don't work anymore I get bored and snack so should start aiming for healthier snacks (nuts not chips, a tomato instead of chocolate).

I'm gonna keep going for the next 60 days or so but right now, I feel like I have gotten no where, I am going no where and I'm tired of doing something I don't enjoy for no results.

TL;DR
- Workout of 10 pushups/sit ups/squats and some cardio, every 10 days doing at least 10 more for 100 days
- My legs hurt
If the main goal is to lose weight then it is 90% about what you put in your mouth, if you are consuming more than you are burning you wont lose weight, you should have better muscle tone though with weighted exercise.

I stepped on the scale and for the first time I hit 80kg. I'm 180cm and I never lifted a weight in my life. I measured my waist and it came out at about 92cm. Threw that into a body fat calculator and I was like, 2% away from being considered obese. Well, sh*t.

I had been watching a bunch of One Punch Man so decided "fu** it, I'm gonna do what he does" so that's 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats and a 10km everyday. Well, I'd die if I tried that. I couldn't do a push up then (still can't now). So I thought let's do this over 100 days. First 10 days do 10 of each, 2nd set of 10 days do 20 etc etc. I had used them as a minimum so if I felt like I could do more, I would. I started doing this on the first of June

TL;DR
- My legs hurt
firstly, good job on getting off your butt and doing something. plenty of people don't even make it to this stage.
a few things
- 7 cm's off your waist is a big improvement and a more important metric than what the scale says IMO
- 5% less body fat is also really good and a better indicator than total weight loss.
- you say you don't feel fitter or stronger and yet you're doing more push ups/lunges and going further on the bike :think:
- if you're constantly sore don't be frightened to back off a little or take a rest day...or do upper and lower body on alternate days.
- try to find something you enjoy...it makes the whole exercising thing so much easier
- for the love of god stop drinking Coke.

sounds to me like you're smashing it. Even if externally you're struggling to see the difference, internally your body is loving you for it. and you'll be the last person to notice physical change anyway cause you see yourself all the time...but it's happening.

- if you're constantly sore don't be frightened to back off a little or take a rest day...or do upper and lower body on alternate days.
That's the plan post 100 days. Hoping by the end of it I'll have a better mindset for it and still do something everyday even if it is more upper body one day, lower body, cardio, rest etc

- try to find something you enjoy...it makes the whole exercising thing so much easier
That's the thing, I haven't found one thing I have enjoyed. Didn't enjoy walking, running, don't have a pool to swim in etc.
sounds to me like you're smashing it. Even if externally you're struggling to see the difference, internally your body is loving you for it. and you'll be the last person to notice physical change anyway cause you see yourself all the time...but it's happening.
Appreciate the kind words. Still got 58 days more to go and hoping to feel results soon even if I don't see any

This lockdown is getting to new levels in Melbourne. Went to the local park where they normally have pull up bars and elevated bars for pushups and it seems people were still using them in lockdown, so the council has decided to now remove only the bar components of the outdoor gym.

This lockdown is getting to new levels in Melbourne. Went to the local park where they normally have pull up bars and elevated bars for pushups and it seems people were still using them in lockdown, so the council has decided to now remove only the bar components of the outdoor gym.
that is definitely taking it to new levels... wow... pics?

Their is some thinking at Government the Casoula outbreak in Sydney was largely due to people touching the same surfaces.

I know its a different state and different environments, but if people just followed the rules there would be a lot less cases.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cold steel metal potentially being touched by dozens of strangers without being cleaned.
I kinda don't blame them.

which is constantly hit with both wind and sun... the chances of virus particles surviving on public equipment is negligible.

that’s presuming a constant source of wind and UV (which there isn’t).
As it stands, the jury is still out on how much effect outdoor exposure has on chances of transmission (although generally accepted it’s much less than indoors).

in the times of day that people use public exercise equipment, being outdoors in the wind and sunshine is definitely protective.
Or you could just exercise at home. Or run around the bloke.

you don’t need a bar and the other random s**t they have in Parks to get exercise in.

Or you could just exercise at home. Or run around the bloke.

you don’t need a bar and the other random sh*t they have in Parks to get exercise in.
that's definitely true, you don't "need" it... bit hard to do pullups without a fixed horizontal bar at a reasonable height, though, which is my primary source of difficult exercise without any home equipment.

that's definitely true, you don't "need" it... bit hard to do pullups without a fixed horizontal bar at a reasonable height, though, which is my primary source of difficult exercise without any home equipment.
It’s also hard for people who don’t have a decent home gym to squat 100+ or do trap bar Deads or countless other exercises. A lot of people have changed how they train because they can’t get access to the equipment they need.

don’t see why you wanting to do pull ups should be an exception. Stay home. We all need to make sacrifices.

Yep the outdoor gyms near me are all roped off.
Arden St outdoor gym had signs up pre-lockdown asking people to use hand sanitiser before and after they workout. Mini-bottles cost $2.50 and last for weeks, it's not hard. Fortunately I found an area that is not a park or outdoor gym that has a bar I can use for chin ups a couple of times per week. Still use hand sanitiser though, even if I don't think anyone else is using the bar.

It’s also hard for people who don’t have a decent home gym to squat 100+ or do trap bar Deads or countless other exercises. A lot of people have changed how they train because they can’t get access to the equipment they need.

don’t see why you wanting to do pull ups should be an exception. Stay home. We all need to make sacrifices.
of course it's hard. that's my point :S

If I wipe down my equipment before and after I use it with antibacterial wipes and then do some pullups, it is significantly less risk than the already negligible risk that outdoor play equipment provides, so no thanks, I'll continue to go on my own and do some pullups.

of course it's hard. that's my point :S

If I wipe down my equipment before and after I use it with antibacterial wipes and then do some pullups, it is significantly less risk than the already negligible risk that outdoor play equipment provides, so no thanks, I'll continue to go on my own and do some pullups.
Yes. It’s hard. But guess what? You can live without pull ups. I’m sure plenty of people would love to do the 1000 steps, they can’t. Just because you decide your gym routine is more important than restrictions doesn’t mean it is.

Yes. But you deciding you’re an exception to rules means others have that same right.

You may wipe it down, but that doesn’t mean every person who decides the rules don’t apply to them will.

we got advised that wiping equipment down isn’t that effective also. We had to spray ours with alcohol predominant disinfectant and let it sit on it.

Yes. It’s hard. But guess what? You can live without pull ups. I’m sure plenty of people would love to do the 1000 steps, they can’t. Just because you decide your gym routine is more important than restrictions doesn’t mean it is.

Yes. But you deciding you’re an exception to rules means others have that same right.

You may wipe it down, but that doesn’t mean every person who decides the rules don’t apply to them will.

we got advised that wiping equipment down isn’t that effective also. We had to spray ours with alcohol predominant disinfectant and let it sit on it.
I've done enough research through scientific papers to know the following things are protective:
1. Going outside. UV radiation destroys the virus RNA, let alone the particles it uses to survive.
2. Going outside x2. Atmospheric wind takes away the particles the virus needs to survive outside of a host.
3. Antibacterial wipes usage; a quick wipe of a metal surface is proven to leave zero active RNA and it breaks down the liquid particles it could live in if you did manage to miss the RNA itself.
4. Wearing masks dramatically reduce other people getting infected if I happened to be an asymptomatic carrier.
5. Social distancing works, especially for those who don't know they have the virus.

So 1 & 2 are ultimately extremely protective of outdoor play equipment and other things like beaches, trails, etc.
3 is covering for anything that 1&2 could possibly fail to attenuate.
4 & 5 covers for anything I couldn't possibly know about my own personal situation.

I'm not saying I'm an exception to the rules. I'm saying the rules are wrong-headed and over-protective for the least common denominator who doesn't take the above points into account in their actions.

So quit your virtue signalling. I'll continue along my well-educated pathway and you can continue to follow the advice blindly if you so choose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back