Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of curiosity is it possible to overwork yourself to the point where you stop losing weight?

Currently I'm in the middle of trying to improve my fencing for next year and a potential World Cup run (fencing as in the sport...)

Most days of the week (5-6) I am doing some sort of physical activity (Boxing workouts, Badminton or fencing).

Sunday - Badminton for 1-2 hours (usually burns 900-1200 calories).
Monday - Rest and walk
Tuesday - Morning Boxing Class 30 mins (400 calories) Evening Fencing lesson with coach 39 mins (300 calories)
Wednesday - Boxing class in morning 30 mins (400 calories odd), evening 1 hour if Badminton
Thursday - State squad - 2.5 hours of fencing last night burnt 1549 calories
Friday - Rest and light weights
Saturday - Fencing 2 hours

Over my first month odd of doing this I burnt a fair bit of weights and got myself down to 70-71 kilos (171cm tall) (I have very large quads due to my sport choice). But over the last 4 weeks I have stopped any weight loss whatsoever. Most days I am under on my calories either and I am keeping up protein with either chicken or protein shakes after exercise.

Out of curiosity is it possible to overwork yourself to the point where you stop losing weight?

Currently I'm in the middle of trying to improve my fencing for next year and a potential World Cup run (fencing as in the sport...)

Most days of the week (5-6) I am doing some sort of physical activity (Boxing workouts, Badminton or fencing).

Monday - Rest and walk
Tuesday - Morning Boxing Class 30 mins (400 calories) Evening Fencing lesson with coach 39 mins (300 calories)
Wednesday - Boxing class in morning 30 mins (400 calories odd), evening 1 hour if Badminton

Over my first month odd of doing this I burnt a fair bit of weights and got myself down to 70-71 kilos (171cm tall) (I have very large quads due to my sport choice). But over the last 4 weeks I have stopped any weight loss whatsoever. Most days I am under on my calories either and I am keeping up protein with either chicken or protein shakes after exercise.
i would guess you may be seriously over estimating how many calories you are burning during those activities. id drop a little more off your food & see what happens

Arent "plateau's" quite common tho?

/just a question, i have little knowledge in this area re. diet. My diet is basically "everything in moderation", i deny myself nothing. Except alcohol and soft drinks. But i actually want to drink water everyday, so that doesnt really count.

i would guess you may be seriously over estimating how many calories you are burning during those activities. id drop a little more off your food & see what happens

This was yesterdays training (fencing) session (I also stupidly did an abs session in the morning).

Screenshot_20201203-215222.png

Screenshot_20201203-215230.png

I'm actually wondering if maybe I'm not eating enough food.

Yesterday all I had was a coffee, wholemeal chicken and salad sandwich.

Beef, salad and a small (half a cup) of wholemeal rice at dinner.

Understandably not feeling great today.

Attachments

• PXL_20201203_100410512.jpg
    PXL_20201203_100410512.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 77
Whats the sport of fencing like???

Obviously... i dont do it.

Well obviously I adore it.

It's very leg heavy (especially sabre the weapon I complete). A lot of fast footwork, reflex work and a crazy amount of lunges. (You are also essentially holding yourself in a squat position for a very long time each training session so your quads tend to get rather large.

Here is the nationals final from last year

I'm actually a lot shorter than both of these fencers so have to move more to compensate.

Well obviously I adore it.

It's very leg heavy (especially sabre the weapon I complete). A lot of fast footwork, reflex work and a crazy amount of lunges. (You are also essentially holding yourself in a squat position for a very long time each training session so your quads tend to get rather large.

Here is the nationals final from last year

I'm actually a lot shorter than both of these fencers so have to move more to compensate.

Can you somehow get seriously hurt.. if something goes wrong or.. idk malfunctions.

And are you training to get to the Olympics??

Can you somehow get seriously hurt.. if something goes wrong or.. idk malfunctions.

And are you training to get to the Olympics??

Apart from a few groin strains I haven't been hurt fencing 👍

Nah nowhere near good enough, Aussies barely qualify for that as it is and I'm ranked like 16th I'm Aus 🤣, my goal is Oceanics and maybe a world cup next year.

Apart from a few groin strains I haven't been hurt fencing 👍

Nah nowhere near good enough, Aussies barely qualify for that as it is and I'm ranked like 16th I'm Aus 🤣, my goal is Oceanics and maybe a world cup next year.

Oi thats pretty damn good!!! Good stuff.

What countries would be the best?? Like Europe- France..?

Oi thats pretty damn good!!! Good stuff.

What countries would be the best?? Like Europe- France..?

Depends on the Weapon, but it tends to be a mix these days.

In Sabre the dominant team for a while has been South Korea, But Hungary, France, Russia and America are also very strong. China are also solid.

Just about every app / machine over estimates by a fair degree calories burned. Machines it's in the manufacturers interest to stroke people's egos to keep using. Unless you're training several hours a day, most days, training is only going to tinker at the edges of weight loss. Much as we all wish we could eat more and then 'I'll just work it off'. :huh:

Last edited:
You are eating to much food.

As you drop body weight you burn less calories. Your BMR at 80kg will be different at 75kg or 70kg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monday - Rest and walk

Sounds like you’ve just reached an equilibrium point b/w energy consumed vs energy expended.
Set your maintenance/no weight change calories to whatever you’re eating atm and go from there. If you can keep your physical activity constant should be pretty easy to manipulate calories to lose or gain weight.

Went to the pool the other day- Monday.

But jfc should have held off. Thought 9am would be the perfect time to go. No. All the kiddies and s**t were there at that time. Usually they dont get there until at least 10/10.30am.

Anyway all good- next swim for perhaps Thursday. With all the wrinkly oldies i guess bleh. At least they're quiet.

But jfc should have held off. Thought 9am would be the perfect time to go. No. All the kiddies and sh*t were there at that time. Usually they dont get there until at least 10/10.30am.

Anyway all good- next swim for perhaps Thursday. With all the wrinkly oldies i guess bleh. At least they're quiet.

Yeah, I think because many are doing WFH nowadays, the early morning pre-work crowd come in later. The 6AM “peak” doesn’t really exist like it used to.

Yeah, I think because many are doing WFH nowadays, the early morning pre-work crowd come in later. The 6AM “peak” doesn’t really exist like it used to.
At my local pool pre-corona there was a 6-630 peak for workers (squad swam from 5-7 and only gave 2-3 lanes, but everyone else in warm water pools), then all the oldies come in at 7 when squad was done.

These days the 7am crowd isn't the same

I think the temperature had something to do with it. A "40" degree day- even tho it was nowhere near 40 at 9am. Was overcast and a sort of cool breeze- i lay on a deck chair for half an hour before i got in the pool- then finally about 10/10.15 the sun came out.
So yeah ppl think omg 40 degrees, better get there early. If it had been a 30 degree day, it would have been far less busy at that time

But jfc should have held off. Thought 9am would be the perfect time to go. No. All the kiddies and sh*t were there at that time. Usually they dont get there until at least 10/10.30am.

I take my grandkids to the pool or Southbank for a swim during the school holidays and I make a point of getting there before the crowds arrive, we get there around 7.30am, by 9am it's starting to get really busy.

Got to Southbank a few of weeks ago and there were only a couple of other families there and we had the massive swimming area just about to ourselves.

So i went Coles today.. did good... this was my basket:

- mushrooms
- capsicum
- cornflakes
- fantales (no i am not giving up chocolate)
- tissues
- crackers
- tins of salmon half price
- mini long life milks
- lightly salted popcorn (for when i go movies, not home)

I think that is about it.
NO chips, no pretzels, no dips, no cheese...

I did a 6 week block of pretty intense 6 day a week training that finished yesterday. Havent lost any weight but have definitely leaned up a bit. Was more of a reset after a pretty hectic few weeks and then COVID before that. Actually thinking i might extend it to 8 weeks as ive been really enjoying it and feeling really good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back