Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2007
Tough as Nuts
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Collingwood, East Side Hawks
I've been such a slack arse the last month. I started the year off strongly, doing 25 to 30 minutes of run / walk intervals every day for the first 17 days of the year. Then I took a day off, did it again on the 19th day, and then did bugger all for the next month beyond walking to the bus stop or home again on my way to or from work. Finally hauled my sorry butt back into the gym yesterday. I didn't do as much as I could have, but even so, after a month off I still have a bit of DOMS going on today. I still went back in today for 30 minutes of run / walk intervals on the treadmill, bur I'm trying to take it easy at the moment after such a long period of nothing.

Last edited:
I still wont touch anything other than a Freddo cake on my birthday.

Could probably give up beer for a year, but I'd struggle big time trying to give up Ice Cream. I'm usually buying those 4 packs of drumsticks or Magnums instead of tubs, because at least I've got them strictly portioned, and a pretty good way to bank 200 odd calories. There's usually hell to pay if I buy a tub.

I've tried making healthy ice cream with sweetener and coconut milk earlier in the year, and it just wasn't the same thing.

Tubs are dangerous. lol. I smash Gelatissimo 1L tubs without breaking a sweat.

Mind you I make sure that I decrease consumption in all other areas for the day to sought of reduce the impact.

Its also why I never have anything in my fridge, if I want it, I have to order it or buy it.

Of all the "evil" foods out there lol, I think ice cream is a better choice, then fried crap, be it chips or like KFC or eating crap from McDonalds. Thats simply garbage food and I do notice it doesnt fuel my body at all and I feel it the next day.

Ice cream funnily enough doesnt effect my training the next day.

I've been such a slack arse the last month. I started the year off strongly, doing 25 to 30 minutes of run / walk intervals every day for the first 17 days of the year. Then I took a day off, did it again on the 19th day, and then did bugger all for the next month beyond walking to the bus stop or home again on my way too or from work. Finally hauled my sorry butt back into the gym yesterday. I didn't do as much as I could have, but even so, after a month off I still have a bit of DOMS going on today. I still went back in today for 30 minutes of run / walk intervals on the treadmill, bur I'm trying to take it easy at the moment after such a long period of nothing.
After long periods of "nothing" as you put it, you should always give your body a few days to re-acclimatize to training again.

Muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones, need time to be running smoothly like before.

The funny thing about training, is that IMO its easier to do it day in and day out, then to do it after a break. Even when I train regularly, when I have a day off, the day of returning back to the gym can be a bit challenging for the first 10-20 minutes.

I go for the Halo Top or similar myself when I want an icecream fix. Somewhere around 360 to 400 calories for a 473ml tub. If I eat well enough during the day, I can make a tub last a couple of days.

Im not sure whether youre at a healthy weight or not, but I still honestly believe of all the junk food, ice cream is the least worst of the lot. Indulging it occasionally, is fine IMO.

What I dont understand is how adults can regularly eat McGarbage, especially knowing what we know now about how bad fast food like Maccas, KFC, HJ is.

I've never done that before, but I definitely want to. Bonus, the icecream shouldn't drip out of the bottom of the cone as badly when it melts.

Just check the waffle cone at the bottom for a small hole. Sometimes it happens.

And you gotta freeze it for at least 15 mins at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally some progress. After months of only being able to squat or lunge while holding a pole for support, today I was finally able to do both without the support. It was challenging for my dodgy left knee, that I first dislocated back in 1986, but I did it.
Congratulations, that's huge

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-P|NHL-P|V8|F1
Felt so off today in the gym- nausea.

Pushed thru, still managed to do a one hour workout. :thumbsu:
I always donate whole blood every 12 weeks (as often as they'll let me do it) and I do that on a Saturday morning then go to the gym like this afternoon and I'm like... "what is going on... seems like I'm struggling with the usual weights" and push through anyway and realise sometime in or after the workout that I donated blood and that's why I'm easily fatigued and the nausea that I get when I know I'm overworking the system comes on earlier haha

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Finally some progress. After months of only being able to squat or lunge while holding a pole for support, today I was finally able to do both without the support. It was challenging for my dodgy left knee, that I first dislocated back in 1986, but I did it.
I love the barbell lunge, requires some coordination and balance.

I love the barbell lunge, requires some coordination and balance.
I'll do walking barbell lunges most weeks. There's also the step size to concentrate on too - it can be challenging when you're fatigued.

Did a BodyPump class yesterday. I can’t remember the last time I was so sore the day after a work out.

It's weird- I just cannot motivate myself to go to classes.

I should go to a ******* class.

Im going to grab a print out of the gym's class schedule this morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back