Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Any tips for a lean bloke trying to put on some size? Been stuck at about 60-65 kg for about 5 years now and roll around at 179cm. Been in and out of the gym for the last few years. I play footy on Saturdays, with training on Tuesday and Thursday nights. I'm very active with running being my biggest strength (winger and past marathon runner), very sick of not being able to hold my own in physical matchups. I don't want to be the strongest bloke on the field, just want to be able to back myself into contests more. Have tried a mass-gainer shake but an issue I had was that it filled me up too much and would virtually replace a meal instead of supplementing my diet. Would work hard for months at a time for 1-2kg gain, then get a cold or something and drop 4kg and take months to pick up my weight again. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any tips for a lean bloke trying to put on some size? Been stuck at about 60-65 kg for about 5 years now and roll around at 179cm. Been in and out of the gym for the last few years. I play footy on Saturdays, with training on Tuesday and Thursday nights. I'm very active with running being my biggest strength (winger and past marathon runner), very sick of not being able to hold my own in physical matchups. I don't want to be the strongest bloke on the field, just want to be able to back myself into contests more. Have tried a mass-gainer shake but an issue I had was that it filled me up too much and would virtually replace a meal instead of supplementing my diet. Would work hard for months at a time for 1-2kg gain, then get a cold or something and drop 4kg and take months to pick up my weight again. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eat, eat and then eat a bit more. Without knowing any real details about you personally 9 times out of 10 the issue is that simple and given a protein shake can be enough to replace a meal for you id be pretty confident that's a big issue. Being so active with running isn't going to help with building mass either as its just going to be burning off even more of the calories you are taking in.

I swear my whole adult life my weight has just sat around 69-72kg no matter what I do, as in I could eat junk all week and do nothing and it would only go up by 1 or 2kgs max, yet if I was sick and barely eating it would only go down by 1 or 2..
I am exactly the same, I'm 62 years old 185cm tall and have hovered in the 70-74kg range my whole adult life.... except for a bout of throat cancer in 2019 where I dropped down to 61kg late in the treatment stage, didn't take all that long to get back to normal.

I had to work incredibly hard to put weight on for footy from 16-19 (its an eating competition with some training thrown in) then basically sat at 82-85ish until i hit about 30 then pretty much put on 15-20kgs in 6 months (mostly muscle my body fat percentage didnt really move).

Now im 35 and and hovered between 97 and 105 for the last 4 years. (im 184cm)

I swear my whole adult life my weight has just sat around 69-72kg no matter what I do, as in I could eat junk all week and do nothing and it would only go up by 1 or 2kgs max, yet if I was sick and barely eating it would only go down by 1 or 2..
I was the same (71-72kg, actually) until I started going back to the gym (went in late teens to early 20's) in 2016 and then I've been slowly putting on muscle mass since then and I'm up to 78kg at 34 years old, 187cm.

I was the same (71-72kg, actually) until I started going back to the gym (went in late teens to early 20's) in 2016 and then I've been slowly putting on muscle mass since then and I'm up to 78kg at 34 years old, 187cm.
I only lift some lighter basic free weights at home so don't really get much bigger, look noticeably better, fitter and obviously stronger though.

Will be joining a proper gym soon though for a couple of months so see if that makes any difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally hit 20 kilos weight loss last week from 2018 (gone from 87 to 67 kilos, also down to 15% body fat).

Decided to change my workouts a bit to see if I can add a bit of shred to my body (joined a fitness boxing gym) (Have done boxing in the past, but not for some years, and never in a fitness class type of atmosphere).

Let's just say doing two days of boxing and core circuits before a fencing comp was a bad idea, haven't been this sore in a long time 🤣 (probably a good thing, recently my workouts/ sport haven't really been pushing me recently).

Adobe_20220718_161819.jpg

Current training plan
Sundays - Free weights
Mondays - 40 minute fencing lesson (think agility and lots of lunges)
Tuesdays - Fencing - bouting
Wednesday - Break/ rest
Thursdays - Fencing - State squad - 90 minutes (30 mins footwork, 30 mins drills, 30 mins bouting)
Fridays - Boxing class, core - 45 mins
Saturdays - Boxing class, circuit (boxing with a circuit (body weights, dumbbells, sprint's, flexibility)

Finally hit 20 kilos weight loss last week from 2018 (gone from 87 to 67 kilos, also down to 15% body fat).

Decided to change my workouts a bit to see if I can add a bit of shred to my body (joined a fitness boxing gym) (Have done boxing in the past, but not for some years, and never in a fitness class type of atmosphere).

Let's just say doing two days of boxing and core circuits before a fencing comp was a bad idea, haven't been this sore in a long time 🤣 (probably a good thing, recently my workouts/ sport haven't really been pushing me recently).

View attachment 1449881

Current training plan
Sundays - Free weights
Mondays - 40 minute fencing lesson (think agility and lots of lunges)
Tuesdays - Fencing - bouting
Wednesday - Break/ rest
Thursdays - Fencing - State squad - 90 minutes (30 mins footwork, 30 mins drills, 30 mins bouting)
Fridays - Boxing class, core - 45 mins
Saturdays - Boxing class, circuit (boxing with a circuit (body weights, dumbbells, sprint's, flexibility)
Great work mate.

first point * Reddit. I tried to post something to the fitness forum and automatically deleted. Such a cluster * some of these forums.

Since I've been closely monitoring my heart rate I've noticed weight training for strength rarely has my heart rate going over 140bpm. I've been able to get to 110 strides and level 14 and set a pace on the strider and keep under 150bpm.

Interesting thing I've noticed is that two times my heart rate hit 160s I was doing lengthy static holds on the adductor machine.

This could be an interesting way of boosting endurance, discipline and heart rate

Just a general question, in my late forties don't play footy anymore but still train hard running wise but got to thinking: we probably only have certain number of kilometres in our legs until the knee/ ankle wear out, should we ease up when we get older and don't play competitive sport so our joints last longer?

Just a general question, in my late forties don't play footy anymore but still train hard running wise but got to thinking: we probably only have certain number of kilometres in our legs until the knee/ ankle wear out, should we ease up when we get older and don't play competitive sport so our joints last longer?
I've read a few articles about this - runners often have healthier knees than non-runners, even later in life.

I still run 1-2 times per week, tend to do as much on gravel/grass as possible.

I run nearly every day through winter around the neighbourhood but I reckon there is a sweetspot which is about 2kms. It's just enough to get a decent workout but it's not so much it starts to knock the body around. Never have any problems pulling up from it.

I'm turning 63 soon and only stopped running a few years ago, I generally ran around the 5-10km mark over the years. My knees feel fine in just about any situation except for running, it's a little better on grass but knees still hurt enough for me not to be confident in doing it regularly.

I instead have taken up Hot Yoga and low impact Pilates plus long walks of around 8-10km 3-4 days per week, I'm also an avid trekker and recently got back from a 95km 5 day trek through Carnarvon Gorge, knees fine during that apart from some medium level discomfort during steep downhill sections.

Just adapt your exercise routine as you age IMO.

Bit of a delayed response but I have seen some people add muscle quite quick with high rep kettlebell swings. Anecdotally, the difference is the volume that can be achieved with a kettlebell swing compared to other methods. Sounds like you might have to force yourself to eat a bit more also.

I just have to look at ice cream and I gain a kilo lol.:D

I run nearly every day through winter around the neighbourhood but I reckon there is a sweetspot which is about 2kms. It's just enough to get a decent workout but it's not so much it starts to knock the body around. Never have any problems pulling up from it.
What times are talking about here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back