General Markets Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

IXR touching 4c now. Great run so far and rare earths ETF up 5% more overnight, that isn't slowing down

JORC in March and more results due. Other than healthy pull packs I don't see it slowing down yet
Yep, great progress so far. I went in at 1.5 and was going again at 2.1 but missed. Still got a fair few though.

Ive been considering investing in the stock market. I just haven't got the slightest idea of how to start. Everything online is bloody confusing. Can anyone help?

Hey mate, there's a couple of excellent resources out there that can help.

If you're after something to read this website provides some of the bare bones FAQs around investing. I'd also recommend the Equity Mates Get Started Investing series as well.

My own contribution would be it's pretty straight forward, you just need to decide what's right for you.

If you're someone who would prefer to add small amounts here and there ($50-$200) to a wide range of stocks check out Commsec Pocket app, which charges $2 per trade for trades up to $1000.

If you're someone who prefers buying bigger amounts and having access to the full Aussie market, as well as international stocks, then check out a full brokerage such as Nabtrade, Commsec or Selfwealth. I use Selfwealth as they have the cheapest fees of the three. Your share parcels for this would be upwards of $1000 to get value out of buying.

The important bit for newbies initially is to stick to companies you know (say anything in the ASX200) as they're pretty hard to make mistakes on. Alternately there's a stack of ETFs out there, of which an ETF is basically a pool of stocks that fits a theme, such as tech, mining, healthcare, ASX200 etc. They're a much safer bet and a very good intro into investing.

A couple of things to learn along the way are how dividends work, reading a balance sheet and P+L statement, cap raises etc, but that can be picked up along the way. If you've got any questions please feel free to ask, as there's no doubt plenty of others who browse this thread who also want to get started with shares but don't know where to begin.

Hey mate, there's a couple of excellent resources out there that can help.

If you're after something to read this website provides some of the bare bones FAQs around investing. I'd also recommend the Equity Mates Get Started Investing series as well.

My own contribution would be it's pretty straight forward, you just need to decide what's right for you.

If you're someone who would prefer to add small amounts here and there ($50-$200) to a wide range of stocks check out Commsec Pocket app, which charges $2 per trade for trades up to $1000.

If you're someone who prefers buying bigger amounts and having access to the full Aussie market, as well as international stocks, then check out a full brokerage such as Nabtrade, Commsec or Selfwealth. I use Selfwealth as they have the cheapest fees of the three. Your share parcels for this would be upwards of $1000 to get value out of buying.

The important bit for newbies initially is to stick to companies you know (say anything in the ASX200) as they're pretty hard to make mistakes on. Alternately there's a stack of ETFs out there, of which an ETF is basically a pool of stocks that fits a theme, such as tech, mining, healthcare, ASX200 etc. They're a much safer bet and a very good intro into investing.

A couple of things to learn along the way are how dividends work, reading a balance sheet and P+L statement, cap raises etc, but that can be picked up along the way. If you've got any questions please feel free to ask, as there's no doubt plenty of others who browse this thread who also want to get started with shares but don't know where to begin.
Very insightful, thank you mate. I will do some reading tonight when the little ones go to sleep.

I just got someone that knows what they are doing to give us a list of 8 varied companies they thought were buys at a certain price at the time, 7 larger ones and 1 small cap speccy. Did a fair bit of reading and ended up slowly buying about 6 of them. Plus watched Sky Business Australia a fair bit which has unfortunately gone now.

It doesn't take long to work out the basics and have a rough idea. It's not rocket science to at least do 'ok' and I actually find it really interesting and fun following the market in general.

Listening to podcasts is a good one to get an understanding of how analysts really look at and evaluate investment opportunities, and also to get familiar with some of the key terms and phrases used in investing.

The reality is, you'll learn by being in the market. You'll likely make mistakes along the way, whether that's taking profits too early, buying at the peak or getting sucked into a pump and dump stock, but that's all part of it. Of course, you can largely avoid many mistakes by taking a passive approach and investing in index ETFs too if that's the path you want to go down.

Oh and don't take stock tips from your taxi/uber driver.

Livewire Markets on Youtube is a pretty handy resource if you're starting out and want to learn how Broker's/IA's discuss businesses. RIP Sky Business.

The government really pushing the agenda of gas the last week. Definitely be looking in that area for some trades.

BUY/BPH getting a lot of attention (disclaimer: I hold BUY) but going to look into other exploration companies in that field as I can sense a lot of money being invested in it.

Good day for BPH (and BUY) today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If an Australian wanted to invest some money into an American stock like GME, what would be the best way to do it?

I've never traded before, don't have any accounts, and apparently we can't use Robinhood (which is what the guys on r/wallstreetbets are using).

If an Australian wanted to invest some money into an American stock like GME, what would be the best way to do it?

I've never traded before, don't have any accounts, and apparently we can't use Robinhood (which is what the guys on r/wallstreetbets are using).
CMC has it
Selfwealth I believe do so but haven't looked
Most brokers do have the option I believe. CommSec definitely used to but haven't used them for years

Very easy to do. For most brokers there will just be an extra form to fill and send off. Then away you go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back