General Markets Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This board is a bit dead so I'm going to post articles that interest me every now and again to see if we can get some discussion going. Even if we don't, I'm going to keep posting until something gains traction.

So, obviously the big news today was the float of Medibank. Turns out this is the 3rd largest float in the world for 2014 netting the government $5.7 billion.

Retail investors were able to get shares at $2 (PE of about 21!), they opened at $2.22 and closed at $2.14. Institutions got the shares at $2.15.

All Ords ended at 5321

Here's a generic wrap up of the markets today: http://www.smh.com.au/business/mark...dibank-makes-solid-debut-20141125-11teot.html

I'm hopeful things will get more specific down the line but for now - did anyone buy any Medibank shares? Are you going to flip them quickly or hold long term?

Please feel free to discuss or contribute.

EDIT: Actually, help a brother out by contributing.

Lyyynnnchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
I've sold most of my portfolio and now only hold a couple of specs. Will sell out of those after their respective drilling campaigns finish up as well. I'm just finding the blue chip shares are going up and down purely for no reasons in particular. Movements are becoming harder to read and IMO "luck" is beginning to play a major role in short/medium term trading of the higher priced shares.

I'll be sticking to specs from now on based on whispers and where I perceive them to be "under valued"

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I've sold most of my portfolio and now only hold a couple of specs. Will sell out of those after their respective drilling campaigns finish up as well. I'm just finding the blue chip shares are going up and down purely for no reasons in particular. Movements are becoming harder to read and IMO "luck" is beginning to play a major role in short/medium term trading of the higher priced shares.

I'll be sticking to specs from now on based on whispers and where I perceive them to be "under valued"

My uneducated suspicion is that 2015 will be pretty strong for stocks. Right now the All Ords are almost exactly where they started the calendar year and I'm pretty sure most big companies increased profits over the last 11 months, so it feels like there's upside left.

The world economy could make a mockery of that though. Thankfully the RBA has room to cut.

Anyway, anyone interested in recharging their phone in 30 seconds?

http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/11/storedot-invents-battery-can-charge-smartphone-30-seconds/

In a potentially game-changing development the Israeli company claims that it has invented a battery that can drastically reduce charging times.

The battery uses nano-technology to synthesize artificial molecules, which allows the new battery to store a higher charge in less time than existing technology, and can be likened to a super-dense power sponge.

I wonder what happens to electric cars if you can charge them in 3 minutes.

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
This board is a bit dead so I'm going to post articles that interest me every now and again to see if we can get some discussion going. Even if we don't, I'm going to keep posting until something gains traction.

So, obviously the big news today was the float of Medibank. Turns out this is the 3rd largest float in the world for 2014 netting the government $5.7 billion.

Retail investors were able to get shares at $2 (PE of about 21!), they opened at $2.22 and closed at $2.14. Institutions got the shares at $2.15.

All Ords ended at 5321

Here's a generic wrap up of the markets today: http://www.smh.com.au/business/mark...dibank-makes-solid-debut-20141125-11teot.html

I'm hopeful things will get more specific down the line but for now - did anyone buy any Medibank shares? Are you going to flip them quickly or hold long term?

Please feel free to discuss or contribute.

EDIT: Actually, help a brother out by contributing.

Got some Medibank shares. There is already a short term windfall based on the retail price but I plan to keep them for a while.

I am looking at entering into the Stockmarket and have used this as an excuse.

I am also interested in the commodities market.

Over the next 20-30 years there is speculation that there will be fewer and fewer discoveries and the price of these commodities will go up.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Got some Medibank shares. There is already a short term windfall based on the retail price but I plan to keep them for a while.

I am looking at entering into the Stockmarket and have used this as an excuse.

I'm interested to see what it does. I think the common stance is that a lot of index funds and so forth will have to add it to their weighted portfolios so there'll be good demand for it while that's done, at least. It's looking like being the ~50th biggest public company in Australia by market cap so obviously a lot of funds need it.

Speaking of market cap, overnight Apple hit US700 billion. That's a little bigger than the top 9 companies on the ASX combined.

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Price of oil below $70 on the back of OPEC deciding to maintain production, some very interesting times ahead. I don't currently have any investments that are on the ASX, how is the falling oil price affecting the market?

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not sure how much weight you can put into house prices movements over a month but apparently they've softened a bit with Melbourne going backwards 2.6% while Sydney marched forward another 1%.

This article has a pretty cool interactive graph on house prices.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Not much is going right for the economy at the moment:

The Australian dollar has dropped below 84 US cents for the first time since July 2010 on economic growth less than half what was expected.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics gross domestic product (GDP) data show the economy expanded just 0.3 per cent in the September quarter and only 2.7 per cent over the year to September 30.

Economist forecasts in a survey by Bloomberg centred on 0.7 per cent growth in the September quarter and 3.1 per cent for the year.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-03/gross-domestic-product-gdp-data-abs-september-quarter/5936608

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 14, 2010
Franga
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought I would add some notes...

Safe income theme should continue if another interest rate cut is coming
It's worth researching the FTA agreements signed recently and who potentially benefits. BGA,TWE,MSB,ELD are some that come to mind
Falling AUD was a theme I had at the start of the year and got exposure through fund managers like MFG,PTM
and Comps with offshore revenue like RMD, ORA, ANN, WFD

Trades I currently thinking about
REC chart looks great and potential for a bid in the back ground
AJX strong momentum
QAN probably missed this one now ffs

Jun 14, 2010
Franga
AFL Club
Essendon
Here is REC chart
Recall.jpg

Aussie Assault

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Lots of carnage around the market this week. I've got a decent whack of capital to invest at the minute but don't really want to catch a falling knife at the moment.

QANTAS are hard to watch. When they were sitting at $1.25, I had my bid in at $1.20 which I thought they'd get back to.. Now they're basically double that in a matter of months.

MTU my best performing stocks this year, STO my worst and has copped a hiding in the last couple of weeks with the price of oil. The more I read the less I actually like their management which I base my investing on probably the most of any other factor. RMD has bucked the trend for me also in the carnage of the last 2 weeks, the falling dollar should continue to help that. QBE isn't one that I own but should also benefit with a falling dollar with big US cash reserves.

Biotech specs I think could be a bit of a mover over the next 6-12 months. US biotech have performed strongly recently, and the larger AUS companies have also done well.

Glad to see this thread here, hopefully it can get some legs and become a regular thing..

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Oil price now sub $60 and Iron ore sub $70, hopefully this will force a diversification of the Australian economy and give a much needed boost to the tourism, transportation and research industries.

For the stock pickers out there, are you waiting or diving in?

I find it very difficult to stick to my financial plan of buying market index mutual funds (mainly U.S) at consistent regular intervals, especially after seeing some sharp falls.

Jun 14, 2010
Franga
AFL Club
Essendon
Oil price now sub $60 and Iron ore sub $70, hopefully this will force a diversification of the Australian economy and give a much needed boost to the tourism, transportation and research industries.

For the stock pickers out there, are you waiting or diving in?

I find it very difficult to stick to my financial plan of buying market index mutual funds (mainly U.S) at consistent regular intervals, especially after seeing some sharp falls.

What do you like in tourism ? AHD,SLK are on my watchlist
MTR is worth a look but I personally don't like them

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Can't help you out there I'm sorry, I don't buy individual stocks, all my investments are index mutual funds. I'm sure some of the other regulars in this thread can assist.

Do you buy your index funds through your super? Is your strategy that longer term?

Some of the US ETF have been shooting the lights out.

Jun 14, 2010
Franga
AFL Club
Essendon
Lots of carnage around the market this week. I've got a decent whack of capital to invest at the minute but don't really want to catch a falling knife at the moment.

QANTAS are hard to watch. When they were sitting at $1.25, I had my bid in at $1.20 which I thought they'd get back to.. Now they're basically double that in a matter of months.

MTU my best performing stocks this year, STO my worst and has copped a hiding in the last couple of weeks with the price of oil. The more I read the less I actually like their management which I base my investing on probably the most of any other factor. RMD has bucked the trend for me also in the carnage of the last 2 weeks, the falling dollar should continue to help that. QBE isn't one that I own but should also benefit with a falling dollar with big US cash reserves.

Biotech specs I think could be a bit of a mover over the next 6-12 months. US biotech have performed strongly recently, and the larger AUS companies have also done well.

Glad to see this thread here, hopefully it can get some legs and become a regular thing..

Any particular Bios ?
I traded BNO earlier in the year but I don't really spend much time researching the sector

This popped up on my screen today
http://www.asx.com.au/asx/research/companyInfo.do?by=asxCode&allinfo=&asxCode=NRT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back