General Markets Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Dow and the S&P are up again.
The markets love cheap cash. Not sure how long this rebound is sustainable for though .

Is this a suckers rally/dead cat bounce etc or can it actually recover?

Theres surely no logic in 4 straight green days? Sheeps to the slaughter?
False hope from Trump. When they realise everything won't be back to normal by Easter s**t will once again hit the fan.

And we are getting sold into now.
GFC history:
View attachment 847627

I'd be astounded if this is all over.
Yep long, long way from over.

In saying that I might start looking at slowly nibbling at a few things when we get another decent run down. Never gonna pick the actual bottom, should be fine as long as it's stuff that you think are going to be solid long term.

And we are getting sold into now.

Yep long, long way from over.

In saying that I might start looking at slowly nibbling at a few things when we get another decent run down. Never gonna pick the actual bottom, should be fine as long as it's stuff that you think are going to be solid long term.
Advice I was given was basically finding businesses that were solid 2 months ago but stock price has been really beaten up. DCA in as it drops

From that I assumed banks that drop more than the market average as well as, Qantas, Afterpay, Webjet (?) which I just randomly looked at and have dropped 70% in a month (though recovering in this rally

As well as industries that you know will jump back but currently getting smashed. Sky City, Star Group, Pointsbet, Crown etc

How does Bigfooty feel about this theory in general? Or are ETF's like VAS etc safer/better?

Complete novice with shares if I am honest. I made out alright in that crypto faze in 2016/17 but wish I'd spent the time since learning about the stock market.

Advice I was given was basically finding businesses that were solid 2 months ago but stock price has been really beaten up. DCA in as it drops

From that I assumed banks that drop more than the market average as well as, Qantas, Afterpay, Webjet (?) which I just randomly looked at and have dropped 70% in a month (though recovering in this rally

As well as industries that you know will jump back but currently getting smashed. Sky City, Star Group, Pointsbet, Crown etc

How does Bigfooty feel about this theory in general? Or are ETF's like VAS etc safer/better?

Complete novice with shares if I am honest. I made out alright in that crypto faze in 2016/17 but wish I'd spent the time since learning about the stock market.

Pinnacle could be another good option. Been hit pretty hard, but they are probably the best betting agency in the world with their odds & high limits
wait a minute, dont worry im *ed

Last edited:
Might be the wrong place to ask, but what do people foretell the exchange rate between USD and AUD doing?

Just need to buy something kind of expensive from overseas and wondering if I should hold off for another week in the event the exchange rate might come down from the current $1.65, or does it have the potential to reach something crazy like $2 because of these times?

Might be the wrong place to ask, but what do people foretell the exchange rate between USD and AUD doing?

Just need to buy something kind of expensive from overseas and wondering if I should hold off for another week in the event the exchange rate might come down from the current $1.65, or does it have the potential to reach something crazy like $2 because of these times?

Our dollar normally falls against the USD when bad things happen however currency movements are notoriously hard to predict because so much goes into them.

Personally, when it comes to currency stuff, I've always bitten the bullet and gone for it no matter the exchange rate, figuring I'm as likely to be buying at the right time as I am to be buying at the wrong time.

Having said that, I'm a guy who nibbled on some shares in early March so that's how smart I am.

Bought BBUS yesterday and bought more again this morning, expecting the markets to give back this week's gains by next Friday and then some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

XJO futures up again. I sold a little yesterday, tempted to pick up some put warrants for downside protection. The MMs on warrants are as bad as ETO MMs for spreads though.

I don't think we've bottomed at all.

I'm a novice but 4-5 days straight of positive moves in the markets makes no sense does it? If that was the bottom that was the softest 'crash' of all time...

Volatility like this is generally not a good sign. Gut feel is a fortnight of losses incoming.
True. The first couple of positive days may have just been loss covering/profit taking too.

There's only so much pump-priming a central bank can do. As morbid as it sounds, as the death toll in the US increases it will surely shake confidence.

Looked at the WEB raise yet?

Yep, undecided if I'll buy more or just sell what I've got and take it as a learning experience not to buy into financially unstable companies during a pandemic.

Also learned my lesson on BBUS as well :drunk:

For the couple of losses though I've had a couple of good wins thus far, picked up WES, ORG, JBH and TCL all within a couple of cents of their 52 week low. only really posting my more speculative plays on here to get other opinions on them and generate some conversation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back