General Markets Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Expect a bounce back from NZS tomorrow Lyyynnnchy ?
Yep! Lets hope so anyway. I'd say a lot of day traders and short termers were involved today, especially with yesterdays gains. A little unsure as to where to fall has come from as the Quarterly hit at least expectations. Working back off the revenue figures the share price is still far too low based on the quarters revenue. That's ignoring the fact revenue from July has already hit 65% of the Apr-Jun Qtr total revenue

Last edited:
Known facts are normally priced in to the share value.

I don't really follow this, what about risks in government regulations changing?

Here's a Business Insider article that does a much better job of explaining it than I can. Basically the BNPL industry are introducing a voluntary industry code of conduct which comes into effect 01/01/21. We then find out whether this code of conduct has teeth or if it's pandering and ASIC step in.

Known facts are normally priced in to the share value.
You'd like to think so but it's certainly not the case

You have DW8 who I've also been following and they hit 4c recently with Staff Costs and Corporate expenses alone exceeding cash receipts

You have NZS who should be profitable soon with significant one off operating costs related to their new drying equipment and costs related to gain US and Europe regulatory approvals this quarter

How DW8 is currently 3c with a 2.5c share offering v NZS at 2.5c astounds me

Happy with PM1s volume and small rise today. Primed for a breakout with a bit of attention, hopefully an upward trend until September with the new CEO presenting at one of the major conferences and a breakout to follow!

What do you make of their quarterly report which has just been released?

What do you make of their quarterly report which has just been released?
A little disappointing to be honest however their quarterly's have generally been that way. I didn't realise they still had grant money to come which has given me more confidence in their cash reserves though

The new CEO released a podcast yesterday which they haven't ever done before and is probably partly responsible for the increase volume and attention yesterday - https://resourceindustrymedia.com.au/connecting-industry-podcast-2/

Was a really interesting podcast and I hope a sign of things to come. I don't think he would have had a lot to do with the quarterly given he's only recently come on board.

Plenty of cash in the bank with $1.5m of government grants on their way is a good sign. The JV with blue chip company Korea Zinc, is also a good sign especially as the costs are split 50/50

September should bring more attention

I just really like the story. Batteries are obviously the way of the future and they have the potential to develop technology that cuts out a lot of middle men, doesn't surprise me at all that a global company has come on board as a JV partner

Lets hope the new CEO is a bit better at bringing attention to the company. If he was responsible for the JV as well as organising to be one of the lead talkers, despite being such a small cap, at one of the major September resource conferences then hes up and running very quickly

From what I can gather watching the trading over the last month and having a look at the HC forum, there are a lot of long term holders which bodes well if there's a run in the share price. Very few profit takers to sell out on a run should see a sustained increase on good news or extra attention as well as a bit more info on the JV

Last edited:
Yep! Lets hope so anyway. I'd say a lot of day traders and short termers were involved today, especially with yesterdays gains. A little unsure as to where to fall has come from as the Quarterly hit at least expectations. Working back off the revenue figures the share price is still far too low based on the quarters revenue. That's ignoring the fact revenue from July has already hit 65% of the Apr-Jun Qtr total revenue
Some huge buys this morning sees it back to 2.8c and climbing

Anyone holding MSB?

Definitely 1 to watch over the next couple months. Could absolutely explode

You'd like to think so but it's certainly not the case

You have DW8 who I've also been following and they hit 4c recently with Staff Costs and Corporate expenses alone exceeding cash receipts

You have NZS who should be profitable soon with significant one off operating costs related to their new drying equipment and costs related to gain US and Europe regulatory approvals this quarter

How DW8 is currently 3c with a 2.5c share offering v NZS at 2.5c astounds me

Shouldn’t we be referring to MC here?

DW8 has three times the MC, which must astound you even further!

A different spin on Afterpay's success
The extraordinary growth rates achieved by the buy now, pay later darling don't look so great when seen in the context of other payment companies. One doubter says to wait for the bad debt data early next year.

Aug 1, 2020 – 12.00am

It was only when a report on global payments company PayPal hit Chanticleer's inbox that it became clear the local market might well have overhyped the achievements of buy now, pay later darling Afterpay

The report, by Morgan Stanley analyst James E. Faucette, included a table showing 40 different payment companies operating in the United States and their percentage share of the top 477 merchants in the US, with total sales of $US454 billion ($626 billion).

b4682377.gif

Nick Molnar and Anthony Eisen deserve praise for their entrepreneurship but don't forget the big picture. David Rowe

Afterpay came in at No. 23, with a 5 per cent share of merchants. This can be read two ways. Those bullish on Afterpay will say this shows the enormous opportunity for growth in the US. The bears will say Afterpay's US success should not be seen in isolation from the performance of Affirm, a buy now, pay later company established in 2012 that also appears in the Morgan Stanley table. After eight years of plugging away in the US, Affirm sits at No.12 on the table with an 11 per cent share of the top merchants.

Your rooster has plenty of admiration for the entrepreneurs building global payment businesses such as Nick Molnar and Anthony Eisen at Afterpay. But that should not stand in the way of putting Afterpay's numbers in the context of the big global picture.

Grant Halverson, a payments consultant who mainly works for clients offshore, says it is not well known in Australia that the entire buy now, pay later sector in the US accounts for less than 1 basis point of total money processed through payment companies there.

He says the amount purchased on credit cards in the US in 2018 was $US3.98 trillion, and the amount purchased on debit cards was $US2.75 trillion. Compare that to Afterpay's US sales of $US2.7 billion.
Halverson says the competitive dynamic in the US is very different to Australia where people are shedding credit cards rapidly. A total of 5 million credit card accounts were closed between 2016 and 2020. In the US, 45 million new cards were issued over the past year.
It's all about context
Halverson says the latest figures published by Afterpay showing strong growth in new customers should be seen in the context of what has happened to other payment companies during the COVID-19 pandemic.
"I think the recent Afterpay results are very disappointing when you consider the massive once-in-a-lifetime free kick ecommerce has been given due to lockdowns in every market they operate in," Halverson says.
"Afterpay has not kept pace with the massive online explosion, and its Australian and New Zealand business is still 60 per cent of all revenue."
Halverson says in the six months to June, Afterpay lifted its customer base by 200,000. PayPal added 1.3 million new customers in the first three months of the year, taking its total customer base in Australia to 8.4 million.
PayPal came out of the Morgan Stanley table as a star. It is accepted by 79 per cent of the top merchants in the US and has one of the lowest churn rates of any payment option. It added 20 million new users in the three months to the end of March.
Afterpay has 3.3 million "active" consumers in Australia and New Zealand. Halverson says Afterpay added only7300 merchants in the first half, its slowest growth rate ever.
Has it peaked?
He wonders if buy now, pay later has peaked in this part of the world given the combined Australian and New Zealand population is 30 million with about 12.3 million classed as Millennials and Gen Z.
"So 3.3 million is 27 per cent of the total, which is hardly great after six years," he says. "Even worse, $6.6 billion sales in Australia and New Zealand is only 38 basis points of ANZ electronic transactions."
Halverson says Afterpay's recent UK numbers are simply awful.
"They launched in the UK before the USA and they have sales of $600 million from 1 million consumers with a very low $330 annual spend in a boom market," he says.
"Sure, they added 700,000 merchants – but the UK economy is in a very, very deep hole running at 75 per cent of pre-COVID levels."
Halverson says Afterpay's US sales of $US2.7 billion is 3 basis points of the old online figure as at March 30 – but 1.6 basis points of the expected new COVID-19 online market, which is running at more than $US125 billion per month.
He says Afterpay is not keeping pace with Klarna, which added 14 million customers in the first half of this year and now has 98 million global consumers.
Klarna launched in the US at a similar time to Afterpay but its consumer base is now about 50 per cent higher than Afterpay's.
Halverson says the US ecommerce market is unique because of the power of Amazon. Pre-COVID it controlled about 49 per cent of the market but Halverson says most analysts now believe Amazon has a 58 to 60 per cent share.
Amazon does not accept buy now, pay later in the United States and if it did decide to do so, it would create its own payment solution, according to Halverson.
He says the biggest concern he has about buy now, pay later is the likely spike in bad debts because of the pandemic-induced recession. These will probably come through early next year.

https://www.afr.com/chanticleer/a-different-spin-on-afterpay-s-success-20200731-p55haz

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CNB
CDT
GSM

Hold all three gold stocks, preety bullish on all. My favourite being CNB as it's by the far the safest (but crazily enough the one doing the least).
CNB doing quite well this last week. Assays due any time soon for GSM and CDT.

Need to diversify into some tech stock if anyone has any tips for me to look into?

CNB doing quite well this last week. Assays due any time soon for GSM and CDT.

Need to diversify into some tech stock if anyone has any tips for me to look into?
IBX is my punt of all punts in the BioMed sector.

If (big if) all goes to plan it's $1B+ market cap ($35m now). A lot can go wrong, or get delayed so it's gambling but worth a look depending on your risk tolerance.

I've seen CRO ($14M cap) hyped a fair bit but it's just an invoicing/money management tool for businesses. Not sure what's so groundbreaking with it but looking into it further

If (big if) all goes to plan it's $1B+ market cap ($35m now). A lot can go wrong, or get delayed so it's gambling but worth a look depending on your risk tolerance.

I've seen CRO ($14M cap) hyped a fair bit but it's just an invoicing/money management tool for businesses. Not sure what's so groundbreaking with it but looking into it further
Thanks! I'll check it out. Currently tied up (way more than I like to admit to myself) in IMM in the same sphere so am unfortunately well aware of the gamble.

I do like an educated punt though :thumbsu:

Thanks! I'll check it out. Currently tied up (way more than I like to admit to myself) in IMM in the same sphere so am unfortunately well aware of the gamble.

I do like an educated punt though :thumbsu:
I'll have a look at IMM.

Probably worth watching blue chip shares that will be affected by lockdowns too. CWN, SGR, QAN, WEB etc

Been following ibx for awhile

good day today

Lithium stocks have had a nice couple months. Thinking/hoping they have turned the corner. PLS is marching up towards $.50, been very patient holding it the last few years so good to see!

GSM (another gold I previously mentioned) flying today, up 30%. Sold out half my parcel will park it in some other exploratory stock as it seems I'm having the most luck on short term trades with these.
Until gold retraces, there's, well, some gold to be found in the hills.

Lithium stocks have had a nice couple months. Thinking/hoping they have turned the corner. PLS is marching up towards $.50, been very patient holding it the last few years so good to see!

im also holding PLS and and after a bad few months I’m hoping this week is the start of good things to come

Remove this Banner Ad

Back