General Markets Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Question: I have been reading up that I also, as a pleb regular investor, cannot access high leverage CFDs but if I could - what is stopping me taking a position that a share price on a speculative stock will drop, leverage that position by hundreds of times and then selling shares I have in the speculative stock so the price falls before closing out my position on the CFD and pocketing my bulk returns?

So yesterday evening I found out that in order to get access to early stages IPOs I would need both at least $2,500,000 in assets and at least two years consecutively earning $250,000 or more.

... and the rich get richer
A minor point, it's OR. $2.5M or $250K for 2yrs. Not that it helps you, but it is gross income, which if you run a business is much easier.

So, go start a business. Buy widget for $260K, sell for $250K, repeat next financial year and it's cost you $20K to become a sophisticated investor.

From $4.6b to suspension: would-be lithium giant hid dispute​

Tom Richardson

Tom RichardsonMarkets reporter and commentator
Dec 12, 2022 – 5.00am

Suspended lithium explorer AVZ Minerals kept an ownership dispute over rights to 15 per cent of the Manono lithium project – which has access to a major resource of the vital battery metal – hidden from investors for nearly 10 months, new information shows.
The details of the dispute with Congo state-owned miner Cominiere and China’s Zijin Mining reveal AVZ actively sought to dissuade Cominiere from selling the 15 per cent stake to Zijin in a battle for control of what may be the world’s largest lithium deposit.
73f008094cac427ba6127cc753953b0596cd567b

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken visited the Congo in August. The US and China are both eyeing the nation’s mineral resources. AP
Over the period AVZ failed to disclose the dispute – July 2021 to May 2022 – the company’s stock, at its peak, rocketed eight-fold to snag a place in the S&P/ASX 200 Index and a near-$4.6 billion valuation.
However, the stock’s suspension since May points to questions around AVZ’s journey into the Congo, where political instability makes for regular disputes over rights to vast deposits of clean-energy resources nickel, cobalt, copper and lithium.
New resources of such “future facing” metals are being urgently sought by Western governments and companies to lessen their dependence on China for commodities vital to the decarbonisation of the global energy system.

Chinese state-backed miners dominate the control of supply from the Congo, although US Secretary of State Antony Blinken visited in August to pitch US interests.
On August 4 last year, AVZ’s lawyer in Kinshasa wrote to Cominiere to urge it to abandon negotiations to sell a 15 per cent interest in Manono to state-owned Chinese miner Zijin.
However, the plea fell on deaf ears. Zijin said it lawfully registered its 15 per cent stake at Congo’s commerce registry in November last year in exchange for a $US33.4 million payment.
Congo’s Commercial Court of Lubumbashi rejected AVZ’s attempt to have the deal thrown out in November 2021 and January 2022, Zijin said later.

Multiple legal fights​

It can also be revealed that Cominiere first wrote to AVZ at its Perth headquarters on July 21 last year to inform it Zijin sought 15 per cent of the Manono project.

AVZ made no mention of the dispute until May this year and now faces multiple legal fights next year related to events it failed to disclose to the market.
The stock’s dream run began to unravel publicly on May 4 when it first acknowledged its claimed rights to Manono had been challenged by Zijin.
The Zijin dispute is set for arbitration in May. AVZ is in another legal fight against a company called Dathomir Mining in the Congo.
Dathomir is reported to have obtained Congo court orders in December last year to have a deal annulled in which it sold a separate 15 per cent interest in Manono to AVZ for $US20 million in August last year.
AVZ did not acknowledge the tribunal verdict to investors until May 4 this year. It said it believed Dathomir’s claim to be spurious, without merit, and containing fundamental errors.
A further Congo court order in September also favoured Dathomir: it suspended the roughly $US20 million payment until the matter could be resolved by more arbitration. This time, AVZ dismissed the ruling as “immaterial” and said it was not a party to the claim.

It has also dismissed Zijin’s claims as meritless and said it would defend its ownership rights to the two separate stakes worth 30 per cent of Manono.

Company blames ‘misinformation’​

Many investors who bought shares between July last year and May this year unaware that AVZ had actively engaged in the ownership dispute with Cominiere and Zijin over rights to Manono will fume at the latest revelations.

The company had just $3 million cash in May last year before its stunning run saw it raise $40 million in July that year and another $75 million in December.
It said the December capital raising was partly to help it buy the 15 per cent stake from Cominiere, but never disclosed it had been notified the prior July about Zijin’s intention to buy the stake from Cominiere.

The company has declined to answer several questions put to it by The Australian Financial Review. It has also blamed a short research firm named Boatman Capital, the media in general and social media for what it says is misinformation.
Last week, the picture got murkier for the explorer when it disclosed the findings of a Congo government audit by the General Inspectorate of Finance (IGF).
The report concluded Zijin had paid below the market value for its stake in Manono.
1670819875530.png
A river basin in the Congo is home to what is believed to be the world’s largest hard rock lithium deposit. Scott Ramsay www.LoveWildAfrica.com
Zijin said the finding was incorrect because it did not account for the lower spot price of lithium at the time, or a price adjustment clause to allow the seller (the Congo government) to be properly compensated.
Another revelation is the finding that AVZ’s original agreement to acquire its 60 per cent stake in the Manono project from Dathomir was in violation of a governing joint venture agreement.

AVZ rejected this finding last week and said it held valid legal title to the ownership interest. Moreover, it still insists it owns 75 per cent of Manono, having acquired the disputed 15 per cent from Dathomir, and it still claims rights to acquire another 15 per cent from Cominiere. This is even as Cominiere appears to have sold that 15 per cent to Zijin.
The IGF audit also found three Manono region mining tenement licences (titled 12436, 12449 and 12450) were illegally transferred by Dathomir as Manono’s holding company some time after 2017.
In January 2019, AVZ disclosed it held rights to mining licences 12436, 12449 and 12450, but in April that year it disclosed the rights had been “relinquished” for unspecified reasons.
In a statement to the market last week, AVZ said nobody at the company had any involvement or prior knowledge of the transfers to any third party.
“AVZ has undertaken further investigations with respect to the transfer of these tenements and is continuing to cooperate with all competent DRC governmental authorities regarding the findings within the IGF Report,” it said.
“The company further confirms that it is, and continues to be, in compliance with its ASX continuous disclosure obligations and any inference to the contrary is misinformed and misguided.”

If AVZ does reach a deal to receive its mining licence in the Congo and return to the ASX boards in 2023, investor confidence in its disclosures will be tested.
In April this year, investigative media group Africa Intelligence said the Manono site in the remote south-east of Congo had long been the stronghold of the Kabila family.
Dathomir’s owner, Simon Cong, is a Chinese businessman believed to be close to Zoe Kabila the sister of Joseph Kabila, as Congo’s long-serving ruler until January 2019, Africa Intelligence said.

Their resource may as well be on the moon atm lol.

if they can start paying bribes, build a DRC militia (armed by gun running) and backed by the Chinese military....................then they should be fine

Question: I have been reading up that I also, as a pleb regular investor, cannot access high leverage CFDs but if I could - what is stopping me taking a position that a share price on a speculative stock will drop, leverage that position by hundreds of times and then selling shares I have in the speculative stock so the price falls before closing out my position on the CFD and pocketing my bulk returns?

With all due respect this is why they have high barriers to entry for 708s. There's many, many steps along the way that could go wrong and if any one step does you're then on the hook for hundreds of times of leverage. Absolutely terrible idea, and you're more likely to end up with a lifetime of debt than getting rich(er) quick.

Have a look at Wallstreet Bets on Reddit, I guarantee you at any given time there's a screenshot of someone who's lost US$100k+ trying to outgame a system they don't understand and is well above their level of expertise.

If you're looking at something a bit more robust than basic buying/selling shares have a look at asx listed options, as it offers more upside with only a slightly increased downside.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all due respect this is why they have high barriers to entry for 708s. There's many, many steps along the way that could go wrong and if any one step does you're then on the hook for hundreds of times of leverage. Absolutely terrible idea, and you're more likely to end up with a lifetime of debt than getting rich(er) quick.

Have a look at Wallstreet Bets on Reddit, I guarantee you at any given time there's a screenshot of someone who's lost US$100k+ trying to outgame a system they don't understand and is well above their level of expertise.

If you're looking at something a bit more robust than basic buying/selling shares have a look at asx listed options, as it offers more upside with only a slightly increased downside.

I have access to a savant number intelligence that breaks computer games based on efficiencies and patterns who is working on correlating patterns in order to predict outcomes across global equity markets. I'm not trying to make a fortune every trade, just to be standing in the right spot at the right time around 75% of the time or better.

I'm not in the business of taking risks, of all the money I have invested outside of property, there's a quarter of it sitting in cash.

I appreciate the heads up though :) <- not sarcastic

I have access to a savant number intelligence that breaks computer games based on efficiencies and patterns who is working on correlating patterns in order to predict outcomes across global equity markets. I'm not trying to make a fortune every trade, just to be standing in the right spot at the right time around 75% of the time or better.

I'm not in the business of taking risks, of all the money I have invested outside of property, there's a quarter of it sitting in cash.

I appreciate the heads up though :) <- not sarcastic

For something like this the obvious way would be to start small with money you can afford to lose until you know for certain the model works over a sample size of a couple of years. Even then it may still fail when exposed to a a bull market/bear market/stagnant market/volatile market.

Risk appetite and risk tolerance is also a factor which needs to be regularly reviewed, and plenty of tweaking, refining and research if you're not going the traditional ETF/bluechip approach.

For something like this the obvious way would be to start small with money you can afford to lose until you know for certain the model works over a sample size of a couple of years. Even then it may still fail when exposed to a a bull market/bear market/stagnant market/volatile market.

Risk appetite and risk tolerance is also a factor which needs to be regularly reviewed, and plenty of tweaking, refining and research if you're not going the traditional ETF/bluechip approach.

The trickiest part so far is layering historical data across all the different time zones so as not to confuse a causal relationship with a reactionary one but a dry run with pretend transactions is the path that will be followed, for quite some time.

Can anyone suggest the best app for a beginner to start trading with?

don't "trade" until you are experienced AND have market knowledge

simply buy to hold. By buying simple stocks like banks you will generate 7% interest. As the market heats up, stop buying but don't sell. Build your cash balance and wait for the markets to crash and then load yourself up at the bottom of the market.

when is the bottom.......generally when the banks are doing SPPs or rights issues.

if you trade you don't build an asset base but if you can save +$10k a year and you get 50% equity returns (ie bought a portfolio of ANZ, NAB and WBC at $15-$16 at the recent market low) then collect 7% dividend and franking.

year 1 - 2020 - $10k is now % 15k plus 21% dividend $2,100 = $17,100
year 2 - 2021 - $10k probably $12k plus $1,400 in dividends
year 3 - 2022 - $10k plus $700 dividend

total net worth - $42k

as you build wealth then you can take larger punts

ie when the market shits itself, buy the hardest hit stocks like myers at $0.10 now $0.66, village roadshow $1.14 taken out at around $3 and qantas $2.40 to $6

chucking in $500k in a portfolio would have delivered north of $2m

this last example is a trade as you don't buy to hold these types of stocks but don't trade until you build a portfolio of holds

don't "trade" until you are experienced AND have market knowledge

simply buy to hold. By buying simple stocks like banks you will generate 7% interest. As the market heats up, stop buying but don't sell. Build your cash balance and wait for the markets to crash and then load yourself up at the bottom of the market.

when is the bottom.......generally when the banks are doing SPPs or rights issues.

if you trade you don't build an asset base but if you can save +$10k a year and you get 50% equity returns (ie bought a portfolio of ANZ, NAB and WBC at $15-$16 at the recent market low) then collect 7% dividend and franking.

year 1 - 2020 - $10k is now % 15k plus 21% dividend $2,100 = $17,100
year 2 - 2021 - $10k probably $12k plus $1,400 in dividends
year 3 - 2022 - $10k plus $700 dividend

total net worth - $42k

as you build wealth then you can take larger punts

ie when the market shits itself, buy the hardest hit stocks like myers at $0.10 now $0.66, village roadshow $1.14 taken out at around $3 and qantas $2.40 to $6

chucking in $500k in a portfolio would have delivered north of $2m

this last example is a trade as you don't buy to hold these types of stocks but don't trade until you build a portfolio of holds

Sounds like the best advice I've read so far.

I'm happy to take it slow even though I'm a touch impatient.

I have a small equity share in the company I work for which is returning a dividend to me each month. Understandably, I will be paying tax on that dividend payment but for the balance I'd like to grow that money instead of spending it. Let's say at this rate I probably have about $750 per month available.

I just put $200 (and will likely contribute more shortly unless I find a different medium in which I want to play around in) in to Raiz but need to understand how to split up the investment to which funds etc are going to get better returns.

I'm trying to just read and absorb as much info as I can really

Sounds like the best advice I've read so far.

I'm happy to take it slow even though I'm a touch impatient.

I have a small equity share in the company I work for which is returning a dividend to me each month. Understandably, I will be paying tax on that dividend payment but for the balance I'd like to grow that money instead of spending it. Let's say at this rate I probably have about $750 per month available.

I just put $200 (and will likely contribute more shortly unless I find a different medium in which I want to play around in) in to Raiz but need to understand how to split up the investment to which funds etc are going to get better returns.

I'm trying to just read and absorb as much info as I can really

I started investing in the late 80s but only really got serious when I joined the navy in the 90s. I would buy bank shares (ANZ my go to stock for no real reason but also bought CBA) and CSL as my growth stock. Why mum said!

In the late 90s the rust economy (mining is dead) and the 1997 russian collapse and asian collapse unsettled the market. I started trading MIM shares (copper) in a narrow range which was $0.93-$0.99 but this was difficult technology wise. It was a like clockwork and copper remains a good place to play once the market is smashed.

I then took a punt on Burns Philp at $0.10 but it dropped to $0.01 where I loaded up (for me this was $10k). I got out before it hit $1.14 but it made me a killing. I still kept my portfolio of bank and CSL throughout though.

My first big win in the mining game that I was driving was the conversion of Atlas Gold into Atlas Iron. It started with a $4m investment at $0.22 and a 1 for 2 $0.30 option (and a $360k fee for raising $6m). Then a $600k fee for raising $10m from global mining investments.

We followed on our investment with $6m at $0.50 and a 1 for 2 $0.80 and receiving a $1.2M fee for raising the $20m.

We then earned a $3M fee for raising $56M of an $85M raise and then exited the stock at an average of +$2.

The rest is history after this.

I guess the theme is start slow and $750 a month is a fabulous start (more than I had). Build confidence and experience and then take it to where you want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back