General Media Grievances and Thumbs Down

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, nah, no doubt its definitely been picked up by the boys, not that footballers will parrot something they hear.

Look, I don't know if its been mentioned but another one I noticed some time ago used by players and coaches alike but is still used by some (Hardwick Clarkson esp) - LOOK, at the beginning of sentences. It seemed to get the nod from the media advisers and really took off, everyone was using it for a while, Look - at the start of sentences really adds authority to whats been said, unfortunately it got a bit overworked. Such as: Look, it was a tough game but we got the four points, look it definitely got a bit overused out there with some players using it to begin just about every sentence, look definitely we looked a lot.

Then Clarkson and Hardwick (again leading from the front) adapted it to; LISTEN, why do we always have to look, Listen, it definitely still works for both of them - makes us focus.

11880354_507752776065622_9098775524402307616_n.jpg

The same journalistic "standards" shown here by Jay Clark as Craig Hutchison hiding behind a bin all those years ago. Gutter journalism, but par for the course in the footy media unfortunately.

It's been ******* me off all year, but I seriously cannot deal with Gerard Healy calling the Giants 'The GWS'.

"It was a good show from the GWS".

FFS IT'S THE GIANTS, THE GWS GIANTS, or GWS. NOT 'THE GWS'.

He's been doing it since the start - I even created a thread about it a few years ago.

He says "the West Coast" as well.

How he doesn't see that it doesn't make sense is beyond me.

Didn't watch much of the second half of the Derby, but caught the last ten minutes or so on the radio in the car, with the dream team of Tim Gossage, Ben Allan and Glen Jakovich. In the dying stages, they were talking about Josh Hill (presumably) missing a chance for a fifth goal and "costing himself the medal". So, you'd assume he's still be some sort of chance in a game where it didn't sound like there was any real standout, right?

Apparently not. After agreeing that one more goal would have sealed it, they were stunned when he ended up winning it anyway (by one vote). Pretty amazing to listen to. Will laugh if he tops the coaches votes too and Shepperd (Gossage's choice) doesn't poll a vote.

Danny Frawley getting stuck into North Melbourne about the team lacking defensive skills.
He's got a bee in his bonnet about my afl team. Some of the players took his advice on bounce and both got reported for giving their opponents an ear massage.
Also Damian Barrett needs to stop listening to every rumour he hears. Most of them at this time of year are untrue.

Love seeing AFL accredited journalists warning us to take unaccredited media's trade rumours with a grain of salt.

3:19pm: AFL Fansite Zero Hanger "understands" St Kilda has two backup plans in place if the Jake Carlisle deal falls through: Brisbane's Jordan Bourke and the Bulldogs' Michael Talia.

Zero Hanger understands that St Kilda was looking at recruiting Brisbane defenderJordon Bourke before Jake Carlisle became available and it is entirely possible they will revert back to that plan if they cannot achieve a worthwhile trade with Essendon, who stand to lose their star key position player for nothing.

Take that with a very substantial grain of salt.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...15-day-two-20151012-gk7h5z.html#ixzz3oQ1XhUuh
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

There was another article ripping on BigFooty before, it's like errr you do realise that's where all the rumours come from...
Might be the same page.
3:08pm: The BigFooty rumour and theory file

During transfer season, AFL forum BigFooty is filled with all sorts of scurrilous rumours and far-fetched trading plans. Here's the best of them from today's forum:

• St Kilda has offered Tom Hickey plus pick 24 to Essendon for Jake Carlisle, which has been turned down
  • Essendon could trade pick 4 to Adelaide for 9 and 13. 13 and Carlisle then go to St Kilda for pick 5.
  • Gold Coast ruckman Dan Gorringe, who has already indicated he's keen to get out of Gold Coast, would be a perfect fit for several clubs - Essendon, Melbourne, Geelong all thrown up.
  • SickQuon reckons Carlton boss Brendon Bolton is into Hawthorn's Jed Andersen "in a big way", "from what I've heard".
  • Brisbane are rumoured to be into Ryan Bastinac at North Melbourne, who might cost them a second-rounder.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...15-day-two-20151012-gk7h5z.html#ixzz3oQQRVLmA
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

The difference between spreading rumours and reporting news in that you just report that "someone is spreading the following rumours..."

Bonus points for mocking those who are doing your job for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is less about the actual media and more about how the players respond to the media.

Every ******* interview I watch with players has the same reply: "Yeah, definitely".

Seriously. Go onto your club's website and watch an interview with a player. Go onto AFL.com.au and watch an interview with a player.

"Yeah, definitely".

Surely, that's an improvement on "Yeah, Nah". :)

I've ******* had enough of all these media flogs using a single player as a collective example.

"They're going after an O'Meara, a Presita, or a Wines"

"He'll be looking for a GWS, a North Melbourne, or a Gold Coast"

NO. STOP SAYING A and AN.

Might be the same page.

The difference between spreading rumours and reporting news in that you just report that "someone is spreading the following rumours..."

Bonus points for mocking those who are doing your job for you.

with the advent of internet, twitter, instagram, facebook and the like, journalism has died. just simply write a few short paragraphs about the event, then copy and paste twitter twits.

Smith, 25, was an inaugural Sun and has played 65 games in five seasons but has clearly fallen behind Tom Nicholls as the club's first choice ruck and is hoping for more opportunity with the Cats.

fair enough, looking for opportunities..... nek minnut

Geelong coach Chris Scott said the Cats were looking to add to their ruck depth, the Smith’s recruitment bolstering Mark Blicavs, Rhys Stanley and Nathan Vardy.

so potentially 3rd choice ruck or worse.

also, the presence of the word "the" before Smith. wtf?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back