General Media Grievances and Thumbs Down

Remove this Banner Ad

On 3AW non game telecasts Bartel hasn't been bad, but for a boundary rider he wasn't good enough on Sunday. They were constantly showing Weitering sitting on the bench and wondering if he was concussed, getting ready to come back on or doing a 20 minute concussion test. It should have been Bartel's job to find that out and inform the viewer, but when they crossed down to him and asked him what was going on and he had NFI.

Was watching highlights of Michael Mitchell's superb goal of the year in 1990 and being presented with the award. The thing that strikes me about the commentary team back then and now is the basic civility and decency of commentators. It was a very young Bruce, Peter McKenna, Don Scott, Barassi and Bob Davis
I'm sure they weren't all best mates but they could talk about footy for 10 seconds without interrupting or ribbing each other. Compare that to now with BT, Darcy, Carey (I dont mind Richo but he's a lightweight), these guys talk over each other like frat boys in some alpha male attempt to recapture past glories.

Was watching highlights of Michael Mitchell's superb goal of the year in 1990 and being presented with the award. The thing that strikes me about the commentary team back then and now is the basic civility and decency of commentators. It was a very young Bruce, Peter McKenna, Don Scott, Barassi and Bob Davis
I'm sure they weren't all best mates but they could talk about footy for 10 seconds without interrupting or ribbing each other. Compare that to now with BT, Darcy, Carey (I dont mind Richo but he's a lightweight), these guys talk over each other like frat boys in some alpha male attempt to recapture past glories.
I've always found it odd in AFL commentary they like to shove a few blokes into a room and expect them to be cordial, doesn't happen in many other sports normally 2-3 callers at the absolute most.

I've always found it odd in AFL commentary they like to shove a few blokes into a room and expect them to be cordial, doesn't happen in many other sports normally 2-3 callers at the absolute most.
I think this has been a big issue in the reduction of quality in cricket commentary as well. Always used to be two blokes in the box, now they've upped it to three, and it just becomes a competition to see who can hang the most s**t on the others.

I think this has been a big issue in the reduction of quality in cricket commentary as well. Always used to be two blokes in the box, now they've upped it to three, and it just becomes a competition to see who can hang the most s**t on the others.
Agree, whereas with 2-3 its more of a flowing conversation rather than a shout fest.

Media is very lazy these days.

It's more a retirement home for past players.

Just have to watch analysis shows for every single other major sport and it's in another world compared to ours.

Every single host, commenator and special comments commentator want to be a comedian in ours.

Media is very lazy these days.

It's more a retirement home for past players.

Just have to watch analysis shows for every single other major sport and it's in another world compared to ours.

Every single host, commenator and special comments commentator want to be a comedian in ours.
The only example where a bloke tried to give us a more technical form of analysis, David King, he proceeded to be extremely arrogant and use ridiculous jargon and over use of statistics.

Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher in the UK are excellent in breaking it down in simple terms and making it directly relate to how a team won or lost a football match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only example where a bloke tried to give us a more technical form of analysis, David King, he proceeded to be extremely arrogant and use ridiculous jargon and over use of statistics.

Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher in the UK are excellent in breaking it down in simple terms and making it directly relate to how a team won or lost a football match.
King-gie goes too far into the stats. Dermie gives good analysis but he takes 15 minutes to talk about it as he doesn't have the vision to help him.

The Sky Sports guys in the UK have the footage available for the points they breakdown. They don't just discuss the current game, they have historical footage as well to back up their analysis.

Wish AFL media did this, instead of telling us how brave, a good bloke or how they love the way a player goes about it. Think the other thing is, the current guys in the media are used to the old school football and not as versed in the tactical nuances of todays football.

Recent retirees seem to have 2 career coaches after football, assistant coach or media. I think the more tactically astute choose the former.

Last edited:
King-gie goes too far into the stats. Dermie gives good analysis but he takes 15 minutes to talk about it as he doesn't have the vision to help him.

The Sky Sports guys in the UK have the footage available for the points they breakdown. They don't just discuss the current game, they have historical footage as well to back up their analysis.

Wish AFL media did this, instead of telling us how brave, a good bloke or how they love the way a player goes about it. Think the other thing is, the current guys in the media are used to the old school football and not as versed in the tactical nuances of todays football.

Recent retirees seem to have 2 career coaches after football, assistant coach or media. I think the more tactically astute choose the former.
Its interesting cos I know for a fact Fox Footy has access to the behind the goal full game footage which the clubs use to dissect games. Sky has the ability to just pull footage from 2-3 or even 10 years ago at the drop of a hat though you're right.

Assistants should be utilised more for sure, they can also use the media as a stepping stone for a major coaching gig. Considering a lot of their job is looking and explaining video it should be straight forward

Its interesting cos I know for a fact Fox Footy has access to the behind the goal full game footage which the clubs use to dissect games. Sky has the ability to just pull footage from 2-3 or even 10 years ago at the drop of a hat though you're right.

Assistants should be utilised more for sure, they can also use the media as a stepping stone for a major coaching gig. Considering a lot of their job is looking and explaining video it should be straight forward
Yeah I've seen the behind the goal footage on the Hawthorn site when they dissect one play per week.

It also means the media guys need to watch a game again and do some research/homework and that's just too hard. General footy media are more concerned with the coming week/s than previous. They can make ridiculous calls one week, then the next week it's forgotten and moved on to the next "issue". Stats seem much easier to read out as that gets updated each week, and doesn't require anyone to go back in time and find footage.

Yeah I've seen the behind the goal footage on the Hawthorn site when they dissect one play per week.

It also means the media guys need to watch a game again and do some research/homework and that's just too hard. General footy media are more concerned with the coming week/s than previous. They can make ridiculous calls one week, then the next week it's forgotten and moved on to the next "issue". Stats seem much easier to read out as that gets updated each week, and doesn't require anyone to go back in time and find footage.
I reckon it takes a huge hit because all these guys work on radio/TV/newspapers on a constant loop, they don't have time to actually get behind a desk and write scripts for analysis.

I remember AFL Insider on Foxtel and its obviously been axed since because none of it was coherent and had the feel of being extremely pretentious

Soccer has a discerning audience too, we KNOW the possession stat means * all, its not enough to simply state a team got only 1 shot on goal in 90 minutes and say thats game analysis.

Is it just me, or have Fox and Seven been given a directive not to show annoyed fans during the game. Over the last few weeks, when I would have expected shots of fans going ballistic over clangers by players or umps, the cameras seem to stay focussed on the field.

Had to listen to the first half of Hawks-Saints on Sen on my drive home from work yesterday.

KB is such a terrible play by play caller. He gives no sense of field position at all, it makes it so hard to follow. The ball just teleports from one end to the other. The only time you know where the play is taking place is when someone is having a shot for goal.

Surely Sen have some young kid desperate for a crack at commentary. Can't be any worse.

HE'S DONE A HAMMIE HE'S GONE LOOK AT THAT HE IS DONE. *shows replay* BANG LIKE HE'S BEEN SHOT

I'LL ASK YOU AGAIN!!!!! ILL ASK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! ILL ASK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloke is truly horrendous

the fox sports lab is interesting. two persons telling each other what's on the screen stats wise. one speaking, the other nodding. the nodder then speaks whilst the previous speaker nods. Telling each other what they already know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back