General Media Grievances and Thumbs Down

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, great grandstanding there. Dafuq are we losing? Fairfax long ago s**t the bed with its real estate obsession. Management are probably idiots, but journalism was always a luxury subsidized by other bits of the newspaper. Even if they'd held onto their revenue streams, the internet comes along and everything goes into its own silo. It's pretty obvious what happens to the expensive part that doesn't pull its weight - a cheap draw for the money spinners.

Personally I'd rather read the opinions of Macfart69 at bigfooty than RoCo.

Yeah, great grandstanding there. Dafuq are we losing? Fairfax long ago s**t the bed with its real estate obsession. Management are probably idiots, but journalism was always a luxury subsidized by other bits of the newspaper. Even if they'd held onto their revenue streams, the internet comes along and everything goes into its own silo. It's pretty obvious what happens to the expensive part that doesn't pull its weight - a cheap draw for the money spinners.

Without the news element of The Age, their is no newspaper - all their other assets are worth nothing if there's no newspaper to base them around.

I don't think people really appreciate the importance of traditional media (despite the impact of so-called "fake news" in the US election), and I think people are absolutely naive to what a city like Melbourne looks like without media diversity.

Of course The Age has it's faults - so does the Herald Sun, so does the Guardian, so does any other form of media. But in my view it's beyond idiotic to think that media diversity, and different voices telling different stories (or the same stories from a different point of view) isn't critical on every level - in politics, in news, and even in sport.

You call the journalism "the expensive part that doesn't pull his weight." How is their advertising, real estate et al arms worth anything without the news? Even fewer people will by the "news"paper now if there's no actual news!

The news pulls it's weight by being the thing that makes people buy the ******* Age!

Without the news element of The Age, their is no newspaper - all their other assets are worth nothing if there's no newspaper to base them around.

I don't think people really appreciate the importance of traditional media (despite the impact of so-called "fake news" in the US election), and I think people are absolutely naive to what a city like Melbourne looks like without media diversity.

Of course The Age has it's faults - so does the Herald Sun, so does the Guardian, so does any other form of media. But in my view it's beyond idiotic to think that media diversity, and different voices telling different stories (or the same stories from a different point of view) isn't critical on every level - in politics, in news, and even in sport.

You call the journalism "the expensive part that doesn't pull his weight." How is their advertising, real estate et al arms worth anything without the news? Even fewer people will by the "news"paper now if there's no actual news!

The news pulls it's weight by being the thing that makes people buy the ******* Age!

The news isn't going anywhere. The physical mastheads are long cooked and they'll be gone. A skeleton crew online will still aggregate the news and a few blowhards will hang around for a bit of colour and opinion, all arranged around pushing people to domain. Pretty much as it is now.

A newspaper used to be a large compilation of things and people didn't necessarily buy for the news. Some people bought papers like The Age on the weekend for the classifieds and they'd toss the rest. That subsidy is gone and it's not coming back. RoCo can stand on his soapbox all he likes, nothing's changing.

had enough of your verbal pollution. is there anything of value or are you just corrupting things just because like me. you can..

the trouble is that those who are verbalising these histrionics are still intent on doing what they like without really listening and being paid to crap on.

someone doesn't have to think of the children but of the spending public who can with a groundswell pollute the media chokers.

that said I know they are trying hard and getting paid well enough to play around.
but everyone else only gets to hear the verbal conglomeration and can't say or do anything until it's too late.

Dunno if this is the thread for it, but did anyone listen to SEN after midnight on Saturday? SEN overnight crowd or something with a bloke called Amin Azoor (nimsy) I think. Absolutely painful. Worst talk back host I've ever heard. Is he a regular?

Has anyone noticed that BT jumps onto some minor point and then even when the vision proves him wrong he keeps going on about it?

"Now he's been called for blood rule, I don't think that's actually flowing"
*player wipes blood from cheek running from ground*
"he could just wipe that off and take his kick"
*player wipes more blood off his cheek as it actively bled while BT was speaking*
"now he can't take his kick when could have just wiped it off"
*player wipes yet more blood away*

Has anyone noticed that BT jumps onto some minor point and then even when the vision proves him wrong he keeps going on about it?

"Now he's been called for blood rule, I don't think that's actually flowing"
*player wipes blood from cheek running from ground*
"he could just wipe that off and take his kick"
*player wipes more blood off his cheek as it actively bled while BT was speaking*
"now he can't take his kick when could have just wiped it off"
*player wipes yet more blood away*

By was right in this case, there was no flowing blood.

By was right in this case, there was no flowing blood.
Except for how he had to wipe it off three times coming from the field.
It may not have been *flowing* but if it's going to run as soon as it's wiped that's good enough for me.

Hi all, a mate of mine is doing a research project at uni and is looking for some data relating to sports media, AFL Live Pass and paywalls.

Told him I'd chuck it up on a relevant BigFooty forum, reckon this one is it, survey only take a couple of minutes and is relatable to everyone here.

If you guys have a spare minute or two, that'd be awesome. Cheers in advance from him.

https://monash.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cSYVJGXD2yEfaDP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Fox's set up is anything to judge AFL upon - AFL is seriously over-analysed.
Give it a rest fellas, Team A beat Team B because Team A is better.

Tonight, they have tried to dissect how much Adelaide have 'turned it around' against St Kilda.

Last week, Adelaide played Geelong, in Geelong and lost.
Tonight, Adelaide played at home against an out of form St Kilda and won convincingly - it's nothing more complex than that.

If Fox's set up is anything to judge AFL upon - AFL is seriously over-analysed.
Give it a rest fellas, Team A beat Team B because Team A is better.

Tonight, they have tried to dissect how much Adelaide have 'turned it around' against St Kilda.

Last week, Adelaide played Geelong, in Geelong and lost.
Tonight, Adelaide played at home against an out of form St Kilda and won convincingly - it's nothing more complex than that.

I remember the days when the club song was sung and they finished broadcasting.

Next show was on and off they went.

The Front Bar.

I have only ever seen ads for it. But holy s**t those ads, presumably the 'highlights', are the unfunniest things ever. How the * is this a thing? Who are the idiots who watch it making it a repeat thing? 3 ******* twats with a beer (so blokey! Andy Maher wouldn't know how to change a ******* tyre but yeah what a blokey man because he had a ******* beer) making s**t jokes that have all been scripted anyway and set up, which makes it even more pathetic.

* you Andy Maher. * you Mick Molloy. * you 3rd twat. The 90 seconds worth of ads I have to see every week are the worst 90 seconds of my week.

The Front Bar.

I have only ever seen ads for it. But holy s**t those ads, presumably the 'highlights', are the unfunniest things ever. How the **** is this a thing? Who are the idiots who watch it making it a repeat thing? 3 ******* twats with a beer (so blokey! Andy Maher wouldn't know how to change a ******* tyre but yeah what a blokey man because he had a ******* beer) making s**t jokes that have all been scripted anyway and set up, which makes it even more pathetic.

**** you Andy Maher. **** you Mick Molloy. **** you 3rd twat. The 90 seconds worth of ads I have to see every week are the worst 90 seconds of my week.
It used to be okay when it was a small little thing two years ago I think it was.

These days they've tried to turn it into a full on show after matches on Thursdays or Fridays and it is shithouse.

n6qtcl.png

I've had a gutful of clubs foxing on injuries.

Circa the one, the only AFL.com

Why is it mandatory when mentioning the Hall of Fame Dinner to say "It is one of the great nights on the AFL calendar" or "It's the best night of the AFL year". Every ******* time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back