General Media Grievances and Thumbs Down

Want to vent about the broadcast not being in high def?

Or the Frank Walker tiles ads on SEN?

Or how crap the Sun is.

Stuff like that.

You know, the everyday bitchin' that doesn't need a thread but shouldn't be left unpunished.

Do it here. General grievances and thumbs down welcome.

Re: General Broadcast Grievances and Thumbs Down

Todays Hawthorn vs Swans game was not in High def. Not that it mattered after I turned it off, but still, poor bloody effort Channel 10. Oh yeah, Tim and Kelly were the commentators for the day. Appalling afternoon of viewing.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006

i already had a whinge about this, but thumbs remain firmly down at channel 10 in nsw and act tonight with the lack of geelong vs collingwood.

incredibly, it was even worse than first imagined - southern cross 10 in canberra have instead chosen to show the movie double jeapordy... a movie that i have never sat down to watch, but am pretty sure i've seen most of due to television network's penchant for showing it 3 times a year.

if only the government of the day had've had the foresight to realise how ridiculous laws preventing networks siphoning off first run sport to digital channels would be... especially when they would go on to work so hard to boost the uptake of digital tv.

snappytom

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2004
west oz
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood

fox would have loved to show coll geel but ten wont let them do it live against the game they show

a big thumbs down to channel 7's sunday game,a total adfest interrupted by spasmodic patches of football,interspersed with completely amateurish camera work,lame commentary,and 20 sec after final siren cut straight to 7 nightly news,no player interviews,no singing of club song,stick to better homes and gardens,hope 7 dont get broadcast rights again.

Listening to Swans/Dockers on ABC 702 in Sydney yesterday, while driving back from Wollongong area.. every single stoppage in the last 10 minutes of that nailbiter was interrupted with the announcement that there was "still no score" in the NRL game between two QLD teams (Titans vs Cowboys).

That was frustrating enough, but with 5 or so minutes to go (and Swans up by 4 or so, just before Freo poked their nose in front for a little bit) obviously the fear that they might miss a try in the first few minutes became too much, and they crossed to the rugby game permanently.

Forced me to cross to Sydney MMM, but still, show some dedication to the sport (and the local team), ABC. :thumbsdown:

Re: B Grade Commentary

Any thoughts?
Footy Fourth Estate Board plaese :)

oh, on what you want.
The only commentators I don't like are 10's boundry rider (the one that was at Adelaide vs COllingwood)
The only normal commentators I hate are all the foxtel ones bar Healy and Hird (their boundry riders are good :) - though, Leigh COlbert can be an idiot at times, but most of the time he's good)

Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Who knew Dipper's gibberish would be hallmarked as "pure journalism" in 2010?
****in hell. The cult of celebrity. Journo's, boundary riders, Dr ****arse Larkins' are our new-age commentaters about the game. Who knew that footy was played in rumour mills, scant gossip, 'thorsed" indirect quotes and other really important stuff that happens before and after the siren of games?
Still love the game.
But hate the "off-camera" stuff.

Adrian Shelton

Premiership Player
Feb 9, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
North Adelaide

B grade? Thought this was gonna be about 'Slug' Jordan and Sandy Roberts calling the Army Reserve cup :)

yes i miss Clinton too :(

Who Are These Guys??

Listening via AFL through 3AW (Adelaide V Stkilda)- who are receiving description by guys who I can only describe as a bunch of unprofessional JERKS of the highest order. Childish description, embarassing dribble and should be down on the fence like the rest of us punters paying to get through the gates.

Re: Who Are These Guys??

lol, heard this idiots just after 3AW transferred to this game say "Collingwood beat Hawthorn by 3 points" Well at least these gooses got the points right. :rolleyes:

Audacious

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Tim Lane is an idiot

Just watching the Bulldogs vs Essendon game. Huddo and Tim Lane were arguing about the high contact rule.

18 min mark of last quarter: Ben Howlett dived head first into a bulldogs players legs to get the ball, and the stupid umpire paid a freekick against the doggies player. Now Tim Lane being the idiot that he is said the umpire was right to pay the freekick because there was contact above the shoulders. But what the fck was the dogs player meant to do? He was standing still, the ball rolled next to his feet, and Howlett basically threw himself onto his stomach to gather the ball and hit the dogs players legs with his own head.

Howlett initiated the contact, and got rewarded for dangerous play. Whats more, Lane reckons it was the correct decision. Good on Huddo for saying that head high contact initiated by the player who dived to the ground should be play on. The commentary box seemed a little bit tense after their little squabble.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Yep, some of the cretins who are allowed to opine on the game should be put down. Seriously.

Yep. And based on the commentary I just endured from Geelong v West Coast, start with Healy and Pickering.

Healy is just a fecking idiot. He continually talks up Ottens like he's a key forward. He isn't now and hasn't been for at least 5 years. Too slow and a very unreliable kick for goal. After spending time telling us what an awesome kick Ottens is (he isn't), he then missed a sitter from 20 metres. Which was not mentioned or acknowledged in any way.

However, Dwayne Russell is still the worst. But there is serious competition around.

albundysmate

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

i bhave been fed up with 7s commentsry from day 1. both of the main commentstors need to retire now

shoe

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Had the same thought watching the Bulldogs v Essendon game tonight.

Apparently there is no prerequisite to be able to form complete and/or interesting sentences to get these jobs.

Personally don't mind Kelli and Russell has grown on me (except when he's calling a team he hasn't done his homework on and gets half the players' names wrong).

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Mark Stevens... Wow

Who the hell does this bloke think he is? On Triple M he said that because spectators pay their money they can abuse coaches, players and umpires. Also had a pot shot at Rhan Hooper's eyebrows. He was rightfully put back in his spot by Chief, Quarters etc.

He said it's okay as long as it's constructive abuse. Can someone tell me what constructive abuse is? Abuse is abuse. End of story.

Back