Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Each to their own. From a personal point of view it means that I won't be watching any Fox Footy at all this weekend, whereas if they'd mixed in some JLT replays as well, I'd be likely to tune in for a look at various stages. Of course AFLW has a place on Fox Footy, but I don't think the channel should ever show AFLW exclusively for days on end.
I’m with you.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
ABC breaking huge footy stories

Attachments

• 20180320_082951.jpg
    20180320_082951.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 241
I know it was at a cricket press conference, but Chip Le Grande’s behaviour towards 3AW’s Tony Tardio was disgraceful.
What did he do?

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What did he do?

Apologies, I should have written what happened in my previous post. At the end of the press conference, Chip walks up to Tony and gives him a double handed shove to the chest. According to other reporters who were there, he also said words to the effect of you’re not a real journalist, what are you even doing here.

david addison

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
About time Tony Turdio copped it. This little rat spreads propaganda every half hour of every single day of the year. He should do something honourable for a living. But that's not why I'm here...

Media low points of the week that was:

Tom Morris get's slammed by the Bulldogs for making stuff up, and then he erroneously proclaims on 3AW that Danger will be playing this weekend for the Cats. Not a good week for Tom. Hopefully he can reclaim his credibility. It's gonna be tough.

Mike Sheahan on his new podcast declares that AFL journos are compromised, and that some are more prone to being bought than others. This should be a huge story. Then again, Sheahan's opinions don't carry much weight anymore. Did they ever?

SEN's headline: 'Reid Defends Pies Training Standards'. Reid was responding to a claim by Brisbane thug and pretend commentator Jonathan Brown that the solitary Pies training session that he bothered to attend seemed lacklustre. OK, first of all, Pendlebury was on MMM stating that said session was deliberately low key because the Pies had an intra club game the following day. Secondly, and more importantly, why the hell is Ben Reid talking to SEN? They had this headline in mind before he even turned up for the interview. Stop talking to these people! They'll * you over every time. How many times do Collingwood have to be reminded? No good possibly comes from talking to the press.

Some positivity...
I thoroughly enjoyed McGuire this week on his breakfast show mocking Jono Brown & Rohan Connolly. Absolutely priceless.

david addison

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Two more...

Dustin Martin blatantly pushed his opponent in the back in marking contests, and it was ignored or missed by the umps. But even worse, it was ignored by 7's commentary team. I guess it would have got in the way of their Dusty love-fest. 7 have achieved fake commentary.

Kane Cornes filled in at SEN during Gerard Whateley's absence, and did a fine job, but ended it with a sad proclamation that the Pies coach would lose his job during season 2018. Maybe Kane realised at the last moment that he was at SEN, and it's mandatory at SEN to say something provocative and low-brow.

Two more, who am I kidding? Who can stop at 2? This is the media we're talking about. Caroline Wilson was on 5AA this week having a cry because she thought Dangerfield was mocking the media. How precious exactly is she? Like all bullies, she can dish it out, but she can't take it. And McGuire said something disgusting on his breakfast show. He said that AFL players such as Danger should pull their heads in, because the media has a lot of knowledge when it comes to players, and they might start publishing things that they might have previously ignored. If you're a journo, I say go for it, but don't expect the players to ever speak to you again. You'll have to make up 100 per cent of your stuff, instead of 90.

david addison

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here's another one that needs documenting:

Wil Anderson's bit the other morning about playing footage backwards was a rip off of Bill Hicks. Not surprising at all that someone as unfunny as Wil plagiarises.

david addison

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still not done...

Matt Thompson. AFL.com's nasally wowser says that Buckley showed a 'complete lack of respect' by not tagging Mitchell last night, which goes to show...
1. A story never gets old.
2. Thompson's parents showed us a 'complete lack of respect' by breeding.

And as for Buckley's after match presser, every week they try to get him to make the excuse of injuries, and player unavailability. But he doesn't fall for it. And the reason he doesn't fall for it, is because he's too damned intelligent. He knows that 1. It's a slap in the face to the players that showed up, and 2. He knows that if his team fails later in the year when he has a full list to chose from, he'll have no leg to stand on. And that's when the journos go in for the kill. It's a game of chess with these people. If you're not politically savvy they'll eat you alive. And the reason coaches get paid so much is because they have to deal with these slugs at least twice a week. Mark Robinson's playing the same game. After 12 months of bullying, this week he printed excuses (player unavailability) for Buckley's success or lack there-of. What he won't do is stop talking about the Pies coach.

I'm sick of people going on about HD and complaining about games not being in HD. HD is a fad invented by the television companies to sell more TVs and will die out soonn,
Are you the type of guy who said that CDs were a fad and cassettes were here to stay, or that Dvds were a fad over tape and would die out soon?

If you can't see the difference between HD and SD you need to get your eyes checked.

After an awesome opening round of footy and the biggest scandal in Australian Cricket ever, the back page of the Hun is a story about Carltons disrespect for Malthouse in a sketch, that he gave it his blessing. Smh.

Last edited:

bigfarter

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
And McGuire said something disgusting on his breakfast show. He said that AFL players such as Danger should pull their heads in, because the media has a lot of knowledge when it comes to players, and they might start publishing things that they might have previously ignored. If you're a journo, I say go for it, but don't expect the players to ever speak to you again. You'll have to make up 100 per cent of your stuff, instead of 90.

Did he really say this? I know the bloviating pig belches out a lot of nonsense but that's pretty dismal. Also very funny that he reckons he's in a position to threaten others with knowledge of their private lives - dangerous game for him to play because there's plenty of people who I'm sure have dirt on him to respond with.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
There was a highlight package just then before the commercial break that had winning goals and big moments from everything in round 1. Even the AFLW and Suns/North game. Only game with no highlight was Hawthorn vs Collingwood. Media aware that people are sick of seeing us triumph?? Absolutely no excuse to not at least have one goal from the game. It wasn't as if the goal they showed from the North/Suns game was a beauty or anything.

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
There was a highlight package just then before the commercial break that had winning goals and big moments from everything in round 1. Even the AFLW and Suns/North game. Only game with no highlight was Hawthorn vs Collingwood. Media aware that people are sick of seeing us triumph?? Absolutely no excuse to not at least have one goal from the game. It wasn't as if the goal they showed from the North/Suns game was a beauty or anything.

C6927377-C12E-4C79-9FDD-86F0C36329A9.gif

david addison

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thumbs down to commentators and radio hosts for misleading the footy public for the past decade with regard to Good Friday footy. They knew damn well the obstacle was the channel 7 appeal, but they deliberately kept the footy public in the dark, and had us talking in circles about religion instead. Thanks for nothing. Try representing us for once, instead of protecting a shitty network.

Steve Smith held a press conference yesterday where he apologised for scratching a cricket ball. Turnbull also held a presser yesterday. He apologised for dropping a bomb on a family home in Mosul, killing the 20 & 27 year old parents, and leaving their 1 & 2 year old babies screaming in the rubble. Why was Smith's presser the lead story on the news last night? Is it because we're more interested in cricket than politics? Or is the media in bed with the military. We don't want to give war a bad name, especially if we're in the business of building tanks now. And cricket fans beware, if 7 buys your game, get ready for endless Army advertisements. 7 will play the national anthem at the start of the game, and then they'll play the army ads. It's their one two punch, and don't fall for it. Why do you think Kaepernick caused such a stink? Because without patriotism you'd have a pretty small army. And when you've got a war economy, you need a damn big one.

david addison

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFL have instructed commentators not to discuss Tom Lynch's contract status, because they have a vested interest in Lynch staying at the Gold Coast. There's no denying it. The silence is deafening. Even Dwayne Russell, who is notorious for talking contracts during his commentary, bit his tongue as he watched Lynch kick 8 goals on the weekend. Generally the media obsesses with contracts. Dustin Martin last year is a prime example. Lynch might be the first player in history to avoid the constant chatter.

Cometh the footy commentator, cometh the dribble. When channel 7's resident bullshit artist Anthony Hudson said 'cometh the man..' in a grand final a few years ago, other commentators were in awe. It blew their minds. I've heard it used a dozen times since, most recently this weekend, and I want to throw down a challenge to all of them. I want to know if any one of them has the balls to deliver an entire two hour commentary in iambic pentameter. From start to finish. Let's see how intellectual they really are. Maybe the next time a game gets boring, they can recite some Shakespeare instead of calling the game.

Pettiness isn't the music of Tom Petty, it's Kevin Bartlett ridiculing the Magpies newly designed emblem. I've been subjected to some Collingwood bashing in my time, in fact my whole life, but never have I heard anything as petty as when Bartlett sank the boots into the poor guy who designed the Pies 125 years celebratory emblem. AN EMBLEM! How much hatred must a person possess to ridicule something so trivial? He did this over a year ago, but I was reminded of it tonight, when I listened to his quiz. One of his questions was: 'which AFL team has achieved more wooden spoons - Freo or Collingwood?' Here's a promise: If he doesn't quit with the hate, I'm going to destroy his statue.

Back