General Media Grievances and Thumbs Down

Remove this Banner Ad

State of the game. I'm over it. It should have been resolved in the off-season, and behind closed doors, instead of constantly ridiculing the game when I'm trying to enjoy it. There's too many AFL heavyweights exploiting their position in the media to push their ideas. They're in a PR battle to win the heart & mind of Steven Hocking, and I think they should shut the hell up. If they want to influence Steve, they should knock on his door, instead of boring the rest of us to death. 3AW are the worst. I reckon Lethal & Tim Lane have made a suicide pact should their ideas not be implemented. Andy Maher's radio show today was nothing but a psy-op. I'm a fan of his, but today he was clearly pushing the AFL's agenda. The party line now is 'change is a certainty'. Here's the only changes they need to make: get rid of all the stupid ******* rules they implemented over the past ten years. The reduction of interchange has caused congestion.

Media thumbs down? Too many to mention. Here's my faves of the past week:

Tom Browne. Described Buckley's beard as 'controversial'.

Mark Stevens. Tells Jordan De Goey immediately after the Queen's b'day game that his performance probably increased his market value. Tacky.

Damien Barrett. Gave Gubby Allen credit for recruiting Chris Mayne.

Lewis Martin. Went on media street after the Big Freeze, taking as much credit as he possibly could.

Leigh Matthews. So much to dislike about Leigh, but I'll chose something small - he pronounces Collingwood's Stephenson as Stefanson. How ******* hard can it possibly be? You're a commentator. The very least you can do is pronounce players names properly. If you don't know how, call the club. It's your job.

Matthew Lloyd & Mark Robinson (among others). Reminded us that they called for Buckley's sacking last year. How noble. I hope it clears their conscience.

Campbell Brown. Reduced the Tom Lynch chase to two teams - Collingwood & Richmond. I'd rather the media didn't reduce it to a two horse race, because the player inevitably get's booed by supporters of the team that missed out, a la Treloar. I wonder if that's the intention.

Alan Richardson at the freeze. Says that he'd like to hold Mark Robinson under the water. I was at the G, and when I heard it I almost fell off my chair. McGuire said the same thing about Ms. Wilson a couple of years ago, and copped a mountain of outrage. For some reason it's not a story this time round. Could it be that Wilson is just an opportunist? I could use words like integrity & agendas, but why bother? It's all been said before. She's out of the country right now. Funny that she had to leave the country to celebrate her birthday. Hopefully she stays out.

Luke Darcy talking about the Big Freeze - 'this is what footy does best'. Why does it fall upon footy to do something about it? What the * are our politicians doing? Matching it dollar for dollar? Wow. Don't put yourselves out. That's my tax dollar by the way. Thanks for finally doing something useful with it instead of pissing it away.

Brian Taylor. In the Sydney change rooms after the game he tells Hannebery to give his mum a big kiss. And then Tom Browne congratulates Taylor for getting Hannebery to give his mum a big kiss. This can only mean one thing - BT & Browne are part of an incest cult. Here's a short clip that I find highly amusing. For some reason I was reminded of it while watching Roaming Brian:

I almost forgot.. Sam Newman on his podcast, 'Bette Midler is a ******* mole, and a ****.'

Was watching the Queens BD match and at half time and Daisy was made to interview 2 dufuses for House Rules or My Restaurant Rules or some stupid show i would never watch. What? is that going to make me watch? No effing way! in fact if i come across it i will purposefully not watch that on principle. I know its a half time break and they need to fill it but fill it with analysis even if its s**t imbeciles, no one is going to be persuaded to watch crap. and enough with Hamish molesting kids while interviewing them. he is creepy, let someone like Daisy do it, at least she has some sort of personality.

These players have been interviewed all week. I don't need to see them interviewed one minute before the bounce.

So true. There are literally a gazillion tv shows, talkback radio programs, podcasts and other content during the week that are within easy reach of the average punter but the TV broadcasters still think that it is the 1990s and this "live and exclusive player access" is the bees knees.

Most interviews are utterly useless and go something like this pregame or half time.

Ling: "How are you going to win today?"
Player (breathing heavily): "Yeah nah if we stick to our structures we can hopefully get the result"
Ling: "Thanks mate good luck"
Player: "Thanks mate"
Ling (proudly) : "Over to you BT/Darce/JB"
BT/Darc/JB: "Thanks Lingy, great access and incite there" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here's the only changes they need to make: get rid of all the stupid ******* rules they implemented over the past ten years. The reduction of interchange has caused congestion.

Hammer. Nail. Head. I could not agree more.

The interchange cap, the kick in rule (where you previously had to wait for the umpire to stop waving the flags) and all the rules bought in to supposedly make the game faster have backfired, and the AFL want to make new rules changes on top of this as a remedy. what idiots.

There's a massive poser, status, ego thing that goes on in the footy media this time of year, which is some commentators and journos trying to show how indispensable they are by going on overseas holidays mid-season. :D I'm looking at Carro, Darcy and Wayne Carey.

I reckon they insist that they be asked about it on air when they get back. Carro just farkin LOVES dropping that she's so great she can leave her jobs in-season to go to the South of "Frarnce"

While I'm at it, it annoys me how footy media people campaign for a complete footy-free bye weekend, just because they want a holiday.

Last edited:
So true. There are literally a gazillion tv shows, talkback radio programs, podcasts and other content during the week that are within easy reach of the average punter but the TV broadcasters still think that it is the 1990s and this "live and exclusive player access" is the bees knees.

Most interviews are utterly useless and go something like this pregame or half time.

Ling: "How are you going to win today?"
Player (breathing heavily): "Yeah nah if we stick to our structures we can hopefully get the result"
Ling: "Thanks mate good luck"
Player: "Thanks mate"
Ling (proudly) : "Over to you BT/Darce/JB"
BT/Darc/JB: "Thanks Lingy, great access and incite there" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Totally agree. This stuff is total rubbish and they should seriously not bother. It is of zero interest or value.

There's a massive poser, status, ego thing that goes on in the footy media this time of year, which is some commentators and journos trying to show how indispensable they are by going on overseas holidays mid-season. :D I'm looking at Carro, Darcy and Wayne Carey.

I reckon they insist that they be asked about it on air when they get back. Carro just farkin LOVES dropping that she's so great she can leave her jobs in-season to go to the South of "Frarnce"

While I'm at it, it annoys me how footy media people campaign for a complete footy-free bye weekend, just because they want a holiday.

Wayne Carey for the past few years usually has his annual holiday during Women's Round, far from coincidental.

To be honest I wouldn't mind a total bye round for all teams mid year, the 6 game round dilutes the game too much IMO.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

article on afl.com.au about Tom Lynch's season ending surgery

Byline of the story and the caption of the photo with the article
"Has Tom Lynch played his last game as a Sun?"

* off - he is a contracted Suns player and this kinda of bullshit is completely disrespectful

Trade period is in October

Loving the new slide in McDonalds cheeseburger meal ads on the jlt fox coverage. :rolleyes:

Becoming more like free to air by stealth.

ronhowardsimpsons.jpg

Can’t stand the fact that every journo and reporter feels obligated to provide their own personal opinion on everything.

For example if a player is brought into a line-up, instead of just reporting that fact, they tell us whether they think it’s the right or wrong call, who they should have brought in or dropped instead, etc etc.

They’re worse when the trade period rolls around as well. They tell us who clubs should target, who they should offload, and every deal that is done they give their ten cents about whether it was a good trade, whether it was overs, the opportunity they missed by not going after player x instead and so on.

They seem to think it’s not acceptable for them to report the facts only (which is literally their job). Just leave the opinions to those who are employed in a position to give them, or those whose opinions carry a little bit more weight.

Last edited:
How many of your average punters out there actually want current players in the commentary box?

Is this in regards to the racist remarks made about Liam Ryan? If so you're an f-wit
I'm not a f-wit. The remarks regarding Liam Ryan are a separate issue and legislation will take care of that over time. What we've been seeing in the media in the past week is a whinge and campaign designed to limit or stop all sorts of "trolling" or "personal derision" (It's not mentioned, but this will include crap said on BF). It didn't really gain traction with the Tayla Harris issue last week. But now the same narrative is being pushed through with a more offensive remark.

But from reading your post, you're clearly not intelligent enough to understand the point being made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back