General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime. Come on mate don't make up crap to suit your narrative. I think he has a decent enough footy brain and considering he's the greatest of all time there's a chance he knows something about footy. If he starts appearing on the TV show ' australias best human being' given advice out about treatment of women and friends then say whatever you want.

I could give a s**t what he's done in the context of a footy discussion. If that's defending him then have your way.

Can't wait till the next small criticism comes Melbournes way and we get to ready about all their personal stuff aswell.

Arguably the greatest player of all time yes.

The greatest players don't always have the greatest minds, in his case that is a fact.

Blokes like King, Dermie ext cop it for their opinions but to be fair they have some pretty good points. Carey on the other hand seems bloody clueless

You could interpret that Wayne was having a crack at Joneses character. Which is bloody rich coming from a bloke of unquestionably poor character.

No doubt it's hypocritical, but I think what Topkent is saying is although Carey might be hypocritical or has no credibility or is a scumbag etc, doesn't make any comment he says wrong for those reasons alone. You can debate the comment itself obviously, but a hypocritical comment isn't automatically factually incorrect or wrong.

For what its worth I think his comment is rubbish because I don't see any disunity with the team, we looked great throughout the pre season. I give almost no weight to a missed camp, as if those couple of days occurring or not occurring was the entire defining point of the teams ability to succeed. The players I assume were happy with the outcome, so as long as the coaches got over it, which I'm confident they did very quickly, then the issue is long gone.

I do think Jones doesn’t show great leadership on the field - like when we go missing for a half of an important game we should win against poor opposition - or stopping a run on, I think a strong captain is pivotal in preventing that s**t

Not saying he isn’t an awesome bloke otherwise

That's bloody childish mate.
Some of you blokes really need to take a deep breath when someone doesn't say Melbourne's perfect

It is true though, anyone who bangs there vice captains wife is pretty s**t captain. May have been a great player but is a pretty rubbish person and not much of an authority on leadership.

It is true though, anyone who bangs there vice captains wife is pretty s**t captain. May have been a great player but is a pretty rubbish person and not much of an authority on leadership.

So then as a paid commentator he should sit there and go sorry, remember when I banged my mates wife 20 years ago? Yeah the Melbourne Bigfooty board still gets shitty about it so I can't comment on them.

It's just ludicrous.

So then as a paid commentator he should sit there and go sorry, remember when I banged my mates wife 20 years ago? Yeah the Melbourne Bigfooty board still gets shitty about it so I can't comment on them.

It's just ludicrous.
No you're right. He's paid to have a view and that's fine.
But when a bloke of his character questions the leadership of another, he can expect his comments to be taken with a grain of salt and rubbished as they have been here.
I loved him as a player and don't mind him as a commentator but I just find his strong opinions on people/players really difficult to swallow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think Jones doesn’t show great leadership on the field - like when we go missing for a half of an important game we should win against poor opposition - or stopping a run on, I think a strong captain is pivotal in preventing that s**t

Not saying he isn’t an awesome bloke otherwise
i think the same. don't get me wrong people, he's been a great player while we've been a terrible team over the years but the way I see it I don't think Jones is the true leader the team needs. but I think Viney is the genuine leader the team can follow going forward. Jones hasn't been able to get the job done when he needed to, like when Viney was out of the side at the end of last year. conversely Viney dragged the team over the line with an injury against Port before his foot got the better of him. Viney senses the occasion, Jones does not.

No you're right. He's paid to have a view and that's fine.
But when a bloke of his character questions the leadership of another, he can expect his comments to be taken with a grain of salt and rubbished as they have been here.
I loved him as a player and don't mind him as a commentator but I just find his strong opinions on people/players really difficult to swallow.

Right but are we gonna spend the whole season bringing up his personal life as a rebuttal to a frankly harmless comment? We beat Geelong on Sunday and everyone including him will be back on our side. I didn't see anyone attacking Kane Cornes for putting us first which is just as ludicrous a comment

who cares what any commentator says, their opinions swing with the wind all year. one minute they putting the boots into you when you're losing, the next they're kissing your backside because you're winning. most of em are totally full of crap.
and I agree, Cornes's comment was ludicrous. we're still a year or 2 away from being first.

Right but are we gonna spend the whole season bringing up his personal life as a rebuttal to a frankly harmless comment? We beat Geelong on Sunday and everyone including him will be back on our side. I didn't see anyone attacking Kane Cornes for putting us first which is just as ludicrous a comment
I understand you point of view mate and and not so much a rebuttal but more an unwillingness to take on board things he says about certain issues when he carries little credibility based on his past actions.
I didn't attack Kane Cornes but I'm sure we can all agree he is completely full of sh*t and nearly EVERYTHING he says is an attempt at creating a headline because it's left of centre. To have us finishing 1st is a good example of this.
If we attacked Kane every time he said something dumb, there'd be a thread 10,000 pages long!!

Viney senses the occasion, Jones does not.
Viney is a more natural leader, but this is really, really harsh. Viney's young. He only had to endure 6 months of Neeld. Jones has been here for everything, and has been captain since we were winning two games a season. It'd be a bit silly to argue that he didn't play a huge role, both on and off the field, in dragging this side up the ladder with PJ and Roosy when it seemed impossible. Jones isn't as vocal as JV, and probably wouldn't have had to be captain has we been properly coached and our list properly managed. He could have walked away any time, particularly when he was an FA c. 2013.14, but he didn't. That's the mark of a leader.

Its pretty clear that he has the respect of every player on the list though, and it strikes me as rewriting history to suggest that Jones "doesn't sense the occasion". Worth mentioning that Jones had to be the conduit between coach and players during the camp debacle, despite Jack being the younger representative. Had Jack played against the Pies, we might have won. Probably not though. Its tough when half the side decides they don't need to lay a tackle. I'd argue we gained a heap from JV becoming co-captain, but also lost quite a bit of vocal leadership when we turfed Dunn.

Unfortunately, I reckon the impact of 2012-16 has taken a toll on Jones' body. See this article from Chris Judd.

in R23 las year, when we were getting flogged in the first quarter, could we not stop the pies? it took until the quarter time address by the coach before they could turn it around. there was no on field leadership. I never doubted Jones's off field leadership, but R23 was a big moment for the club and leadership was found wanting imo.

Viney is a more natural leader, but this is really, really harsh. Viney's young. He only had to endure 6 months of Neeld. Jones has been here for everything, and has been captain since we were winning two games a season. It'd be a bit silly to argue that he didn't play a huge role, both on and off the field, in dragging this side up the ladder with PJ and Roosy when it seemed impossible. Jones isn't as vocal as JV, and probably wouldn't have had to be captain has we been properly coached and our list properly managed. He could have walked away any time, particularly when he was an FA c. 2013.14, but he didn't. That's the mark of a leader.

Its pretty clear that he has the respect of every player on the list though, and it strikes me as rewriting history to suggest that Jones "doesn't sense the occasion". Worth mentioning that Jones had to be the conduit between coach and players during the camp debacle, despite Jack being the younger representative. Had Jack played against the Pies, we might have won. Probably not though. Its tough when half the side decides they don't need to lay a tackle. I'd argue we gained a heap from JV becoming co-captain, but also lost quite a bit of vocal leadership when we turfed Dunn.

Unfortunately, I reckon the impact of 2012-16 has taken a toll on Jones' body. See this article from Chris Judd.

Brilliant article and I reckon Juddy is spot on. Jones body has held together so well his whole career but the players whos careers have extended well into their 30s haven't been the inside mids. I reckon Jones should spend some time talking to Robert Harvey, Nick Riewoldt, Dustin Fletcher etc about their training habits late into their careers.

Are we gonna spend the whole season bringing up his personal life as a rebuttal to a frankly harmless comment?
Not all of us, but I certainly will.

It's nothing to do with his comments though, I just like being a campaigner, especially where Carey is involved.

As a long time reader and sometime contributer to this board I have to ask a favour of you all. Clearly you are all mad Demons like myself, and you have all provided me with countless hours of entertainment in here however I'm asking for a little more. I know it's rich for someone like me, who posts so infrequently to make this request, however I've just this week been involved in serious workplace accident that will keep me in hospital for quite some time and rehab even longer. I'll be lucky if I'm walking in 18 months and am already dreading the dire boredom and cabin fever that I am going to suffer and am looking for any tidbits, nuggets of gold, posts about about anything and everything Dees and plenty more of the usual laughs I get from being part of this wonderful community.
As someone who has missed only 5 games in Melbourne over the last 16 years i'm shattered to not be part of what i feel will be the best season I've experienced as a 40+ year Demon fan. I was so confident I even upgraded my membership package (which the MFC have so kindly refunded) and had convinced 2 new members to sign on and join me in my regular pilgrimages. I'm sure they will still attend but won't get the same kick out of it without my full MFCSS take on things to keep them entertained/dismayed.
I'm not looking for sympathy or likes just good old fashioned big footy antics in bucket loads. If you think 'Hmmm... Should i post this or not, who cares....' I do. You've all always been so great to follow and i can't reward you in any way but my thanks are huge in advance, and in retrospect.
Take care out there and Go Dees!!

As a long time reader and sometime contributer to this board I have to ask a favour of you all. Clearly you are all mad Demons like myself, and you have all provided me with countless hours of entertainment in here however I'm asking for a little more. I know it's rich for someone like me, who posts so infrequently to make this request, however I've just this week been involved in serious workplace accident that will keep me in hospital for quite some time and rehab even longer. I'll be lucky if I'm walking in 18 months and am already dreading the dire boredom and cabin fever that I am going to suffer and am looking for any tidbits, nuggets of gold, posts about about anything and everything Dees and plenty more of the usual laughs I get from being part of this wonderful community.
As someone who has missed only 5 games in Melbourne over the last 16 years i'm shattered to not be part of what i feel will be the best season I've experienced as a 40+ year Demon fan. I was so confident I even upgraded my membership package (which the MFC have so kindly refunded) and had convinced 2 new members to sign on and join me in my regular pilgrimages. I'm sure they will still attend but won't get the same kick out of it without my full MFCSS take on things to keep them entertained/dismayed.
I'm not looking for sympathy or likes just good old fashioned big footy antics in bucket loads. If you think 'Hmmm... Should i post this or not, who cares....' I do. You've all always been so great to follow and i can't reward you in any way but my thanks are huge in advance, and in retrospect.
All the best mate, more than happy to keep spouting the rage!

Damn, sorry to hear that Cromulent! Hope you'll have a rapid recovery. Keep your chin up mate. We'll do our best to provide the entertainment. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back